• ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    First of all, here's my Fauxland Special:
    fauxland special.jpg

Took a little while to break it in and work out the kinks, but it's pretty solid now. Have ordered a holster for it, which was stupidly expensive, but should work great. I suspect it will take a lot of practice to get a consistent-enough draw to grab the RMR dot quickly.

Next topic: anyone have any experience using a front sight on an Agency Arms comp? I've heard murmurs here and there from people I respect that this setup works very well, even better than on a slide, but have seen very little real world usage outside of that to back it up. I am tempted to maybe try this on my PF940SC build to maximize sight radius, but running a comp on a G26-sized gun sounds super dicey from a reliability perspective.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    IMO, the whole concept is backwards. Adding a comp on a 19 makes it ammo sensitive (requires hot ammo and some hollow points won't feed reliably).

Here is what the gun should have been:
    -G17 MOS Slide
    -Suppressor Irons
    -RDS
    -G19 Frame
    -Light
    -Magna Port the slide and barrel (Large side ports, small top ports)
    -Spare Extended/Threaded unported barrel for suppressor use

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IMO, the whole concept is backwards. Adding a comp on a 19 makes it ammo sensitive (requires hot ammo and some hollow points won't feed reliably).
    Agreed. I had to swap out my recoil springs to make it run. Was rather concerned I was going to need to mess with the striker, but it does not seem to be the case.

Here is what the gun should have been:
    -G17 MOS Slide
    -Suppressor Irons
    -RDS
    -G19 Frame
    -Light
    -Magna Port the slide and barrel (Large side ports, small top ports)
    -Spare Extended/Threaded unported barrel for suppressor use
    I guess the good news is that you could build this out pretty easily with the new PF940CL frames. What's your take on the appropriate suppressor sights? I've been running night sights, but they really clutter the picture. I kinda think TFO front and black rear would be pretty good, but haven't tried it. Suarez likes his two-dot setup, and I see the advantages of that, too.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Agreed. I had to swap out my recoil springs to make it run. Was rather concerned I was going to need to mess with the striker, but it does not seem to be the case.

I guess the good news is that you could build this out pretty easily with the new PF940CL frames. What's your take on the appropriate suppressor sights? I've been running night sights, but they really clutter the picture. I kinda think TFO front and black rear would be pretty good, but haven't tried it. Suarez likes his two-dot setup, and I see the advantages of that, too.

I mix and match my tall sights. I don't like 2 dot or 3 dot sights.

I use the ameriglow tritium front and a plain black rear on my glocks. I add serrations to my rear sights with a checkering file.

My absolute preference is a gold bead insert on the fronts but those are not commercially available and need to be custom made.

I wish they would just mill a low Picatinny on handgun slides so a QD mount can be uilized with micro RDS's. I'm not a fan of having any optics fixed on a pistol or any other gun that blocks my sights in the event the optic is fouled. Shooting with a can tends to foul up lenses pretty fast, especially if you wet the can with something.

I also like to remove my optics for when it is time to clean and gauge things. I rip the optic off and throw the gun in my parts washer. Easy cleanup.

Just my take. Some people say I'm trying to be too "tactical". I just think my approach is practical.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I want to clarify before people start getting pissed that I don't think the concept of the R.S. is dumb, it's just the execution.

IME, trigger pullers don't always have the best technical perspective when they invent something. Some people's egos don't allow them to see the things they miss.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I want to clarify before people start getting pissed that I don't think the concept of the R.S. is dumb, it's just the execution.

IME, trigger pullers don't always have the best technical perspective when they invent something. Some people's egos don't allow them to see the things they miss.

Oh I'm already pissed.....not. :o

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I use the ameriglow tritium front and a plain black rear on my glocks. I add serrations to my rear sights with a checkering file.
    I'll give this a try on a later build.

I wish they would just mill a low Picatinny on handgun slides so a QD mount can be uilized with micro RDS's. I'm not a fan of having any optics fixed on a pistol or any other gun that blocks my sights in the event the optic is fouled. Shooting with a can tends to foul up lenses pretty fast, especially if you wet the can with something.
    You mean like this?
    us_palm_22.jpg
    That would be cool. A little hard to do co-witness, though, unless you specifically raise the sights a bit.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm certain Chuck gets a kick out of these being so popular considering was basically a joke to put together. Doesn't stop me from thinking they are cool looking and sounds like they shoot well to boot.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'll give this a try on a later build.

You mean like this?
    View attachment 240896
    That would be cool. A little hard to do co-witness, though, unless you specifically raise the sights a bit.

Yes that is the idea but I would want the pucatinny rail top to be on the same plane as the original slide top. Basically carve the sides to make a recessed Picatinny.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm certain Chuck gets a kick out of these being so popular considering was basically a joke to put together. Doesn't stop me from thinking they are cool looking and sounds like they shoot well to boot.

I remember watching a podcast about him saying that.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It is unclear to me why the Roland Special per se got all the attention. People have been shooting with comps and optics in USPSA/IPSC since forever, and I don't think he was the first one to toss an RMR on a slide, even milled. That said, Chuck did a nice job explaining it and has the Delta street cred, so I guess that's something.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    The G&A article giving it mythical tier zero operator status, plus the P&S/Chuck street cred, ends up being a perfect storm of popularity I guess, becoming the latest cool-guy instagram trend. Plus, doesn't everyone have a G19 they can throw some parts on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom