• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daekwan

Apr 9, 2018
    Good Morning Shooters,

I recently moved from VA to MD and have since officially changed my residency to MD. About three weeks ago I got a MD driver's license, changed my car registration to MD and have all the proof of residency including printed utility bills and a mortgage in my name, with my MD address. As a VA resident, buying a firearm was pretty simple. You show to any FFL in the state, provide a DL only, fill out a state/Federal form and usually after a couple minutes your background check comes back okay and you pay for the item and go home with it. There is no waiting period, no limit on daily/weekly/monthly purchases, nothing is banned and no special forms for AR's or anything declared as an "assault weapon".

I'm a little confused to how this process works in MD. I believe there is a 7 or 8 day waiting period. And since MD technically banned "assault weapons" a few years back.. certain ARs are now a no-no. I say certain because a coworker who lives in MD recently bought a Tavor which I thought was impossible in this state. Im more of a roll your own guy. And simply want to pick up a couple of Aero Precision lowers. Maybe 3-4 with atleast one of those being a pistol build.

• Would I be able to purchase all of them at once?
    • Can I buy from online dealer and ship to an FFL?
    • What documentation do I need to present?
    • How long is the waiting period if there is one?
    • Do I need to provide any additional information on the application pertaining to the build (barrel length, caliber, etc?)
    • Is an AR stripped lower considered a rifle or "AOW" (any other weapon)?
    • Is is legal to ship the remaining AR parts necessary for a build to my home in MD? (With the exception of 30rnd mags.. I believe they are illegal in MD)
    • Are there any particular county laws/regulations I need to know about. I live in PG?
    • Any chance I buy from the big Nations Gun show in Chantilly? Im not sure if dealers at the show in VA are allowed to process MD applications and sales.. but figured I'd ask!?!

EDIT: These questions have been addressed in another thread. Many have been answered and I've been told the search button will provide more answers. But figured I'd put them here for additional comments.

Glad to meet other shooters in my "new" state. And thanks in advance for any guidance. Hope to see a couple of you guys out.. Im guessing Maryland Small Arms is the closest range to me. If anybody does any outdoor shooting/events.. let me know as I love the sound of steel! Much more fun than shooting paper.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    EDIT: These questions have been addressed in another thread. Many have been answered and I've been told the search button will provide more answers. But figured I'd put them here for additional comments.

Yeah, you might want to lead with that before someone wastes a lot of time typing the answers.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 375

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Maybe this a start of a new trend. Conservative gun owners from VA move to maryland.

We just need about 2 million more like you.

ziptiespec

I'm a little confused to how this process works in MD. I believe there is a 7 or 8 day waiting period. And since MD technically banned "assault weapons" a few years back.. certain ARs are now a no-no. I say certain because a coworker who lives in MD recently bought a Tavor which I thought was impossible in this state.

The 7 day waiting period only applies to regulated firearms. Namely handguns. AR lowers are handled this way as well. As for the Tavor, it's possible to get one if you buy a modified model that meet's MD's overall length requirements (29").

1. Would I be able to purchase all of them at once?
    2. Can I buy from online dealer and ship to an FFL?
    3. What documentation do I need to present?
    4. How long is the waiting period if there is one?
    5. Do I need to provide any additional information on the application pertaining to the build (barrel length, caliber, etc?)
    6. Is an AR stripped lower considered a rifle or "AOW" (any other weapon)?
    7. Is is legal to ship the remaining AR parts necessary for a build to my home in MD? (With the exception of 30rnd mags.. I believe they are illegal in MD)
    8. Are there any particular county laws/regulations I need to know about. I live in PG?
    9. Any chance I buy from the big Nations Gun show in Chantilly? Im not sure if dealers at the show in VA are allowed to process MD applications and sales.. but figured I'd ask!?!

1. Purchase all at once? Yes. Transfer all at once? Not without having unlocked secret bonus level of being "Designated Collector". Up-Up-Down-Down... Sorry, nerd joke. Kudos if you get it. Without "Designated Collector" status you can only transfer one firearm every 30 days. Here's the MSP site for info, just do it,
    2. Yes. Many FFLs will even transfer multiple items at a go. It's good to give business to the board's Industry Partners. Find some that are close to you and see what they charge and if they're do multiple items for one transfer.
    3. This may be dependent on the FFL you use. Driver's license is all I have to show mine for a non-handgun purchase/transfer. Handgun purchase/transfer will require you to get a Maryland Handgun Qualification License (HQL).
    4. Handguns and lower receivers require a 7 day waiting period.
    5. Nope. You might be thinking of the info required to register an short barrelled rifle (SBR)?
    6. It's considered a firearm. It's transferred as "other" so you can build a rifle or a pistol.
    7. All parts but the serialized lower receiver, and magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, can be sent to your home. Barrel, complete upper, fire control group, etc. All of that can be sent right to your Maryland home address. A note about magazine capacity restrictions: it's not illegal to possess mags with more than 10 round capacity, you are just restricted from buying, manufacturing, offering for sale... read the law here. Buy a 60-round Magpul drum in VA? Legal. Bring it to your new Maryland home? Legal.
    8. Can't answer that one.
    9. Not sure what you're asking exactly.

Oh yes, and welcome to Maryland. The state it beautiful but the districting and laws regarding firearms are something else. We'd love your help in fighting the good fight to change things for the better.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #8 - You need to be more specific , at least narrow to a particular catagory . Nothing different about purchases or ownership . Other questions ask.

#9 - At Nation's Gunshow ( or out of state generally ) , you may purchase , and take possession, of rifle or shotgun , that is otherwise Maryland legal , from an FFL , not a random private citizen . If you do wish to purchase, or otherwise recieve from out of state private citizen , it must be processed by FFL , but said FFL does not have to be Maryland based.

To purchase a handgun ( presuming no C&R lic) , it must go through a Maryland based FFL. You can negotiate and make payment at the show , but it must either be shipped to Maryland , or hand carried by seller to a Maryland based dealer at the Show .

Welcome !

If you are going to be attending Chantilly , stop on by the MSI booth ( usually along left wall of the large room). I will be there Saturday, but all the other Volunteers are also friendly and helpful. We can help you with any further questions.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Now that you are a citizen of Gulag Marylinistan you now require a MD HQL to purchase handguns UNLESS exempt. If you are active or retired (with retired ID) military you are exempt. All handgun purchases must be finalized at either a MD FFL or MSP. I know how much “freedom” you have in Virginia compared to Maryland. I worked in Leesburg for 20 years and it annoyed me to hell when I stopped in at Loudon Guns and watch people do exactly as you said “yea, I like that little honey, wrap it up and I’ll take it home.” Welcome!

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Welcome! And as a new resident, register to vote and don't vote Lib.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    My sympathies. I moved in the opposite direction last year. It's been a liberating experience to be able to bring a handgun home on the same day and buy magazines in whatever capacity I want. Oh, did I mention CCW? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom