• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    JohnnyE, nice post. Omitting impact loadings, etc., could you elaborate on this since friction causes wear:

“The spec for a lube that has the lowest friction, (to minimize parasitic/friction losses), will be different from the spec for a lube that minimizes wear of the moving parts.”

On that point I would have to call on a now former (sadly) colleague of mine, who earned and uses his PhD. in tribology, the science of materials moving relative to each other, friction, wear, and how to deal with it all. Yup, an entire discipline devoted to this. He could tell us so much about different wet and dry lubes, hydrodynamic lubrication, etc. I enjoyed our conversations and learned a great deal.

I was similarly skeptical of that very notion, but he enlightened me that a lube that minimizes wear often does not afford the easiest motion of the two parts. Maybe it is a function of a lube that better protects against wear also causes more drag, resulting in higher parasitic losses...I don't recall.

Most of his work was in the automotive field, and I recall seeing diagrams of gears and loading in rear ends, where the lube is balanced to handle wear, friction, impact/shock loading, cooling, and so on. I may have one of his PowerPoint presentations somewhere in my computer. I'll have to take a look for it.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    On that point I would have to call on a now former (sadly) colleague of mine, who earned and uses his PhD. in tribology, the science of materials moving relative to each other, friction, wear, and how to deal with it all. Yup, an entire discipline devoted to this. He could tell us so much about different wet and dry lubes, hydrodynamic lubrication, etc. I enjoyed our conversations and learned a great deal.

I was similarly skeptical of that very notion, but he enlightened me that a lube that minimizes wear often does not afford the easiest motion of the two parts. Maybe it is a function of a lube that better protects against wear also causes more drag, resulting in higher parasitic losses...I don't recall.

Most of his work was in the automotive field, and I recall seeing diagrams of gears and loading in rear ends, where the lube is balanced to handle wear, friction, impact/shock loading, cooling, and so on. I may have one of his PowerPoint presentations somewhere in my computer. I'll have to take a look for it.

Okay, thank you. I thought you may have been headed in that direction.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    So you are saying many just want to shoot chad (the messenger)....:innocent0
    They F with him because they can.

He's too good a guy for his own sanity.

Like I said upthread, I learned early in life to find an expert, be sure of their expertise and then follow it.

Ya cannot be an expert at everything. Hence being a good judge of character becomes an expertise worth refining early and honing often.

No shooting Chad. A: he will shoot back. B: he will not be alone.

Simple.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Like I said upthread, I learned early in life to find an expert, be sure of their expertise and then follow it.

Ya cannot be an expert at everything. Hence being a good judge of character becomes an expertise worth refining early and honing often.

No shooting Chad. A: he will shoot back. B: he will not be alone.

Simple.

I agree with everything you say. I listen to many things Chad says some things I do not but I do it at my own risk not as a disrespect to Chad like NiB BCGs...:D

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo

No shooting Chad. A: he will shoot back. A': he will not miss. B: he will not be alone.

Simple.

FIFY.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Some learn early in life to think for themselves and to follow their own wisdom and learned expertise, that sycophants are desirable only to those who are underpinned by self doubt and that arguing with ignorance is akin to screaming at God in a windstorm. The ignorant mistake another's silence for acceptance of loss without grasping that the true reason for the silence is simply acceptance of the fact that one cannot teach a blind man to see.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Some learn early in life to think for themselves and to follow their own wisdom and learned expertise, that sycophants are desirable only to those who are underpinned by self doubt and that arguing with ignorance is akin to screaming at God in a windstorm. The ignorant mistake another's silence for acceptance of loss without grasping that the true reason for the silence is simply acceptance of the fact that one cannot teach a blind man to see.

-Abe Lincoln (1789)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm delighted by how many experts we enjoy here on our forum.

I thank the good Lord I don't profess expertise in anything. It's easier that way. Should I have any expertise, I hope to demonstrate it if and when the time might come.

I'm struck by those among us who suffer hubris. Arrogance plus expertise must be a terrible burden.

Confidence is not arrogance. Confidence is typically built through experience and education. Confidence doesn't require someone else's mistake or misgiving or misspoken word.

I try to learn every day. I definitely believe there's folks who know things I do not. That's even among those things I'm experienced with.

Why not state your position and step back? Why persist in being righteous?

Maybe I'm just wired wrong. I don't get it. Is it so important to be most right? ...to "win"?

Yikes.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thank you, kind sir, for proving my point.

lol I'm just razzin your wordy retort. I could care less if you use mobil one covered in sand. I love your threads to be honest! If it makes you feel better despite all the information provided in this thread........I use whatever I see first :)

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I'm delighted by how many experts we enjoy here on our forum.

I thank the good Lord I don't profess expertise in anything. It's easier that way. Should I have any expertise, I hope to demonstrate it if and when the time might come.

I'm struck by those among us who suffer hubris. Arrogance plus expertise must be a terrible burden.

Confidence is not arrogance. Confidence is typically built through experience and education. Confidence doesn't require someone else's mistake or misgiving or misspoken word.

I try to learn every day. I definitely believe there's folks who know things I do not. That's even among those things I'm experienced with.

Why not state your position and step back? Why persist in being righteous?

Maybe I'm just wired wrong. I don't get it. Is it so important to be most right? ...to "win"?

Yikes.

They're spending time writing post after post to prove dedicated gun lubes are just as good as synthetic motor oil.

They have proved nothing, continue to waste money on repackaged oil and lie about the guns they own. It's actually pathetic.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

So in other words thou shall not worship false idols...

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'll admit I used to hunt ducks in a pit on the Magothy at a friends house. Shotguns don't like sand. I could hunt free.... it only costed me a 12 pack case of VVL-800 alleviated from my employers paint locker. Not the best lube in the world but it flushed the sand and water out of the mechanics AND it was free. We later graduated to clp.:innocent0:thumbsup:
    http://www.aktionsupply.com/product/d-5263ns-dpm-5481-1-002057/

Actually, sounds like it might be just fine for a firearm. I don't think firearms are all that demanding. I haven't managed to wear one out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom