• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddn3f

Jul 23, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    I am researching into using an AR 15 for home defense. I am curious as to how most people lock up their carbine in the bedroom. For handguns, you can find small lock boxes. But for rifles/shotguns, do people keep a heavy safe in the bedroom to lock up the self-defense carbine?

I am moving to Maryland very soon as well. Any laws I should be aware of about storage of a firearm. I know the buy your stuff in VA before you move and how to transport the firearm unloaded in a case with ammo and mags separate.

I am also researching the proper ammo to use especially to minimize overpenetration through walls. From what I found Hornady TAP or Winchester softpoints or something similar.

I am looking at a M&P15A for about $850 + shipping and FFL. If anyone knows a good deal on a quality rifle, that would be useful as well.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am moving to Maryland very soon as well. Any laws I should be aware of about storage of a firearm. I know the buy your stuff in VA before you move and how to transport the firearm unloaded in a case with ammo and mags separate.

All firearms must be secured so that children can't get them. If you do not have kids and do not allow children in your place...

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I am researching into using an AR 15 for home defense. I am curious as to how most people lock up their carbine in the bedroom. For handguns, you can find small lock boxes. But for rifles/shotguns, do people keep a heavy safe in the bedroom to lock up the self-defense carbine?

I am moving to Maryland very soon as well. Any laws I should be aware of about storage of a firearm.
    The only storage law in MD is about if a minor under 16 has access to a loaded firearm that is not an antiqueif they have not had a hunter safety course. There is an exception to if the home is invaded though when a regulated firearm, but this last part is a confusing part of law.

I know the buy your stuff in VA before you move and how to transport the firearm unloaded in a case with ammo and mags separate.
    If you are transporting handguns MD calls "handguns" under 4-203, then you can either follow fed transport law (unloaded in a case or rack with the ammo totally seperate and in a trunk if possible), or when transporting regulated OR unregulated long guns in MD you simply must have them unloaded, but for modern handguns you must also have them in an enclosed case or enclosed holster as well as being unloaded and only can transport them to certain activities or locations. If you are transporting by fed law, you can ignore MD transport law, but sometimes MD law can be less restrictive or more restrictive depending on the circumstance involved.

All firearms must be secured so that children can't get them. If you do not have kids and do not allow children in your place...
    Not totally accurate. If the children under 16 have passed a hunter safety course, or if the firearns are unloaded, or if the loaded firearms are antiques, then they do not have to be secured under state law (local governments are seemingly allowed to pass more restrictions on possession of under 19 years old persons though).

Ultimate Member

I am also researching the proper ammo to use especially to minimize overpenetration through walls. From what I found Hornady TAP or Winchester softpoints or something similar.

I am looking at a M&P15A for about $850 + shipping and FFL. If anyone knows a good deal on a quality rifle, that would be useful as well.

I'm not huge on this, but over penetration would be my main concern. Where are you living? Apartment condo, town house, single family suburb or the country?

I keep hearing Tom Gresham (the gun talk guy) talk about HD. He says that 9mm, .40 and 45 will all go 3 sheets of wall (some type of wall, idk), but the .223 will be stopped.

A shotgun is ideal, but many members post their HD set up on here. It usually is a semiauto pistol as a backup, and some carbine or shotgun with a sling and tac stuff.

I don't really think you can go wrong. As long as your moving into the state you can bring what ever you want in as long as it is not an "assault pistol" or NFA weapon. If its an NFA weapon, then you need to register it and a carbine is regulated, but registration is voluntary. I'd imagine out of state has better prices. The price of lowers is coming down, so just get one and build it.

If you need a carbine, buy one, but it is always a great to build it from the lower receiver up.

you need to have all your shit locked up if there are minors around (people under 18). If not, then I think you can have guns everywhere. Oh, and don't live with a felon, drug addict, someone insane, etc. Leaving guns accessible to these people is illegal.

MD laws are not that bad...yet.

Ultimate Member
    You want to pay more taxes so you're moving to MD? :)

These two forms will be the most important. Take care of these two items immediately.

1) pass your Maryland regulated weapons safety course. You just watch a 15min video that tells you bullets come out of the barrel as opposed to some other place.

You can do this online or at most gun shops in MD.

2) you can only buy one regulated gun (pistol or semi-auto rifle) every 30 days. However if you fill this out http://www.mdsp.org/Downloads/Collector_Application_Affidavit.pdf
    and mail it in, the MSP will review you and give you "Collectors Status" which means you can buy a registered gun every 7 days. There is always a 7 day wait though.

other than that, you can own anything you want in MD as long as it is not an assault pistol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As mentioned above less penetration from even fmj .223 that from popular handgun rounds.
    Still the whole list of issues of handgun vs long gun for home defense.

ddn3f

Jul 23, 2009
    Lexington Park, MD
    Weapon in bedroom

Thanks for your help.

I guess how do you guys keep your guns? If it is a self-defense/home protection weapon, it has to be close by. Most people say the bedroom. I am not sure what is the best way to store a carbine in the bedroom and still have it quickly accessible if I need it.

I will be in an apartment building for now. So I definitely want to limit overpenetration. Any ideas? For those of you with shotguns or carbines, how do you store your home defense weapon in the bedroom, preferably locked up somehow.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    I wouldnt use a Carbine for HD, I would use a shotgun or handgun. i use the cheapest handgun I own, S&W 40 VE, I paid $200 for it, it goes bang when I oull the trigger, has 14 rounds and I wouldnt be heartbroken if I never got it back. Over penetration just use frangable rounds, for shotgun, I would use birdshot, not 00 buck

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I sesond the opinion on the shotgun in an urban/quazi-urban setting with a dense population. An AR would be a good choice if you lived in the country. I would get a pump shotgun cush as an 870 with the extended magazine. I wouldn't go any heavier than between #4 and #6 shot.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

you need to have all your shit locked up if there are minors around (people under 18). If not, then I think you can have guns everywhere. Oh, and don't live with a felon, drug addict, someone insane, etc. Leaving guns accessible to these people is illegal.

MD laws are not that bad...yet.
    The state law about guns and minors is not 18 and under, it is under 16, they just have to be unloaded or if loaded not in a place one would reasonably know they can get it, does not apply to antiques and does not apply to kids under 16 who have passed a hunter safety course.

Knowingly giving a firearm to a felon is ilegal, but leaving them out is a gray area and IMO the criminal part would be all on the felons and criminally insane for being around accessible firearms.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    If you live in a neighborhood or an apartment I recommend getting a shotgun, anything other than birdshot or frangible ammo would not be very safe to use for home defense when you have neighbors close by. If you do use handguns or rifles for home defense I would recommend using frangible bullets since they are designed not to go trough walls. They also make less lethal rubber bullets and bean bag rounds for the 12 guage shotgun. A .22 caliber bullet will pass through several walls, anything larger can pass through even more walls. The last thing you want when protecting yourself is to harm an innocent person.
    Be safe.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    "Birdshot is for little birds. Use buckshot for bad guys."

+1

Anything smaller than 00 is a bad idea for home defense. Birdshot is DEFINITELY a terrible idea; unless, of course, you are being overran by birds. Not only will it not give a lethal shot, it probably won't even give a debilitating shot. For home defense, you want something that will knock 'em down fast, and hit 'em hard enough that they stay down. Birdshot would never do that. Ever.

It could give them a rash... maybe even hurt their feelings... but as a defensive round, it's right down there on the list with "sharp stick" and "colorful language".

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    I had a long talk with my neighbors and told them if they ever hear a lot of loud yelling in the middle of the night to htfg (hit the freaking ground) as it may be followed by incoming. :innocent0 Seriously not to demean the thoughts behind over-penetration (my neighbors live in a stone house and I in a brick one separated by some distance on all sides), but I'm not risking my safety or my loved ones by using birdshot, rubber bullets or frangible ammo. There are documented cases of HPs in calibers of +P 9, .40 and .45 not putting an attacker down before they can harm their victim by LEO and others. Minimize the risk without jeopardizing yourself. :thumbsup:

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I have neighbors in every direction so I don't have a problem with using birdshot for home defense. Birdshot can be very effective at close range during most home defense situations. I've even been known to throw in a few BB's with the bird shot. Buckshot spreads too much and can easily go through several walls which won't be good where I live. I would actually prefer to use a slug over buckshot because the slug will go where I aim. In most cases of self defense with a gun not a single shot is fired.
    It definitely takes an extra stupid kind of criminal to challenge someone who's pointing a gun at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom