• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SNovaTac

Mar 9, 2011
    Southern MD
    I'm considering purchasing an M&P9 Pro Series as my first handgun. Anyone out there already own one that can give me some input? Thanks!

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    I own one but if you can get the L cheaper or can live with the standard M&P 9 I would go with that.

The reasons why are as follows.

The Pro still has a shitty trigger that needs to be upgraded with Apex Parts so why buy the Pro?

The sights that come standard on the Pro suck IMHO.

I purchased my Pro about 18 months ago for 639 bucks plus tax and 10 dollar MSP fee since I have replaced the sights with Warren Tacticals and just put the Apex parts in it and paid to have a stipple job and I have over 1100 bucks invested in my gun :innocent0

Sometimes I feel like I'm a idiot but hopefully I eventually will shoot it as good as my Sig Sauers :D

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    What does the Pro get you over the standard model?

Slightly longer barrel, slide, and sight radius. Competition/target sights, which means fiber front sight and serrated rear.

If I'm not mistaken it comes with a different sear to make the trigger pull a bit better.

That tzoid is sort of right. While sights are largely preference the APEX stuff makes for a better trigger and I personally prefer the Warren Tactical sights so if you're going to swap them out anyway might as well stick with the standard one as that slightly longer sight radius really isn't going to matter.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Honestly I almost sold my Pro a week after I bought it because it was my 1st attempt at a plastic gun and thought that buying a "Pro" with the enhanced Sear would give me a great gun. I was wrong....The Trigger is Terrible.

That's why I said if you can get the L at a lower cost than a Pro than get the L and do the Apex and sight upgrades.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have had a Pro for two years and like it. The sights, 100% personal choice. I like them. I just got a 1911 with a 10-8 rear sight and I have to shoot that gun and see how I like the 10-8 vs the S&W.

I am considering another.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    I just got a regular M&P9 with upgraded sights and apex DCAEK installed from G&R tactical. If you do it that way, you don't have to worry about buying and installing the parts yourself or having to wait for a gunsmith to do it after you've already gotten the pistol. From when I ordered it to when it shipped it was 2 days, and it had 2 day shipping for 30 bucks. You can also choose to have them do a polishing job with apex components for some more, and I think there's an option for including a raven concealment holster with it, which is a good idea if you want a raven concealment since the wait on those is usually really really long.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I have a standard M&P9 with APEX Caomp AEK parts in it and Warren sights. Great gun! If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the M&P9 L to get the longer sight radius and barrel. Most would agree the Pro version isn't worth it because APEX parts are better and cheaper.

SNovaTac

Mar 9, 2011
    Southern MD
    I wasn't aware of the M&P9L model. Good call. This might be fairly ignorant, but I was mostly interested in the pro for the slightly longer barrel and sight radius. Especially since I can't carry in MD... :sad20: I think I'll definitely go with the L and upgrade the trigger and sights after the fact.

I'd prefer not to have the internal lock/magazine safety features. Does anyone know what the SKU is for a M&P9L without those features?

Finally for a trigger job should I just purchase the Apex trigger components or should I take it up to Dan Burwell? Hopefully it won't be too long until I have a new toy to play with.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I wasn't aware of the M&P9L model. Good call. This might be fairly ignorant, but I was mostly interested in the pro for the slightly longer barrel and sight radius. Especially since I can't carry in MD... :sad20: I think I'll definitely go with the L and upgrade the trigger and sights after the fact.

I'd prefer not to have the internal lock/magazine safety features. Does anyone know what the SKU is for a M&P9L without those features?

Finally for a trigger job should I just purchase the Apex trigger components or should I take it up to Dan Burwell? Hopefully it won't be too long until I have a new toy to play with.

It's SKU is 205301

G&R Sells those too but he seems to be out of stock at the moment.
    http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=205301

The L has a slightly different slide profile than the Pro does but it still has the 5" barrel.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL

I did it myself with the APEX parts. It was very easy and I enjoyed it, but I love doing mechanical type stuff and knowing the ins and outs of everything. Dan Burwell's prices seem pretty reasonable though, but there may be a bit of a wait. You could also do as Calengor suggested and purchase from G&R Tactical with all the components you want already installed.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I have a Pro and like it. I wasn't aware of the L model either and I chose the Pro mainly because the 5'' barrel. I am jonsing to try Tzoids Apex trigger. I am fine with the sights that came with it. I have shot the Pro with Warren sights and it don't make a difference for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom