• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I have no problem with her purchasing a shotgun, DUI or otherwise. She should be able to defend herself for any reason. She is not in jail. Someone send that woman a machete for Pete's sake!

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    So what I got from that is probation prevents her from buying a gun but it perfectly ok for a position on city counsel...

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    She was charged with DUI. If DUI in her state is either a felony or punishable by more than 1 year in jail, and she answered NO on the related 4473 questions (11b & 11c), that would be a federal problem.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I have no problem with her purchasing a shotgun, DUI or otherwise. She should be able to defend herself for any reason. She is not in jail. Someone send that woman a machete for Pete's sake!

Exactly. We don't restrict any of your other constitutional/amendment rights because you're a felon or are on probation, why do we let the government strip only people's 2nd amendment rights? If we can entrust them with their 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc rights, then we can entrust them with their 2nd rights, too.

If we don't trust them with the 2nd, then they should still be in prison.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    Exactly. We don't restrict any of your other constitutional/amendment rights because you're a felon or are on probation, why do we let the government strip only people's 2nd amendment rights? If we can entrust them with their 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc rights, then we can entrust them with their 2nd rights, too.

If we don't trust them with the 2nd, then they should still be in prison.

It according to law she committed a crime, yes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    It according to law she committed a crime, yes?

Like I said, does the fact that you're on probation supercede your rights to freedom of speech/association, your right not to self-incriminate, or your right to freedom from cruel/unusual punishment? If not, then why are 2nd amendment advocates OK with the system using probation, etc to strip people of their 2nd amendment rights?

All it does is set up a "separate but equal" sort of situation in which the 2nd becomes this punching bag that can be trampled willy-nilly while the other amendments remain more or less sacrosanct. I understand the pragmatic reasoning behind it, but it still flies in the face of the "shall not be infringed" business.

Or to put it this way, I'd rather deal with the ramifications and fallout from letting felons and folks on probation buy guns than have the situation we have today, where "common sense" 2A restrictions on folks on probation or with felony charges are used as president to strip regular citizens of their 2A rights.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    I understand your point and tend to agree I was just pointing out that she broke the law. The further issue is these crimes are not being prosecuted while more laws are being added.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I understand your point and tend to agree I was just pointing out that she broke the law. The further issue is these crimes are not being prosecuted while more laws are being added.

I would say that regulatory creep will be the death of this country, but I think we're honestly a good ways past that point by now. Just look at how easy it is to add yet another unconstitutional law to the books vs how long it takes for get rid of them. It's a losing battle, and they don't want to enforce existing laws because that would make things better in the now and rob them of the urgency they need to justify their birthing even more beaurocratic bloat.

F5guy

Mar 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    So perhaps no 4473 was filled and and therefore no combine commuted. Pretty much Dicks is the real mistake she made.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    This woman is definitely a piece of work. Her drama has been going on for a few years. She does seem to have a problem with alcohol and should consider help. I'm not sure why going to Dick's and trying to buy a shotgun is a violation of her probation.

If society thinks she is worthy of being on the street, she should be able to defend herself as she chooses. If not, she obviously belongs in jail as a danger to society.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    So perhaps no 4473 was filled and and therefore no combine commuted. Pretty much Dicks is the real mistake she made.

Yeah, I don't think it got that far. This woman and her drama are famous.

You know what? If I was the owner of a gun store, I wouldn't sell to someone I thought to be unsafe, dangerous, irresponsible, or unlawful. That someone would need to go buy it elsewhere. Maybe that's all that was in play here. But, Dick's also called the Sheriff.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    As the laws of the land are written, she should have been found guilty. If you want to change the law, then that's a different story. But as of today, she was in violation of the law.

You can't say that your speeding ticket is invalid because the speed limit should have been changed to the speed you were operating your vehicle. The laws are the laws, agree or disagree with them.

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    As the laws of the land are written, she should have been found guilty. If you want to change the law, then that's a different story. But as of today, she was in violation of the law.

You can't say that your speeding ticket is invalid because the speed limit should have been changed to the speed you were operating your vehicle. The laws are the laws, agree or disagree with them.

There never was anything in the Constitution about speeding tickets, so that's a shitty example by default. Laws that contradict the Constitution are industrial-grade BS from the outset, and if you agree with them you're doing little more than telling the kommendant that his boot isn't on your neck firmly enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom