• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have three of the Troy's, one of which isn't functioning properly. I had 30 rounds loaded up and needed to empty them since I was going to Quantico for a 3-gun match. About halfway through, the rounds in the middle got stuck, so the rest were dumped out and I had to tap the bottom of the magazine with a mallet to break the rest free. I'll stick with the Magpuls for plastic mags.

BTW, more deals mentioned here http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=183485

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I think you have talked me out of the Troy Mags. So here is another dumb question that I am sure has been addressed 1000+ times already. What is the difference between gen 2 and gen3 pmags?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think you have talked me out of the Troy Mags. So here is another dumb question that I am sure has been addressed 1000+ times already. What is the difference between gen 2 and gen3 pmags?

Gen 3s fit US Marine's M27 IARs.

The Gen 2s have a place on the bottom to store a dust cover, but they don't come with dust covers anymore.

The Gen 3s come with dust covers, but have no such place to store the dust cover.

(from arfcom)

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County

price

I have both of those as well. no windows. Also, the Gen 2 dust covers are not the same as the Gen 3 dust covers (gen 3 don't fit on gen 2) go figure. I have gen 2 and gen3 magpuls and troy battle mags.

personally I use Pmags (both gens) as my always loaded self defense and SHTF mags, and the troys accompany the magpuls at the range.

I have no personal experience to dictate that rational, only what I have read on the internet, and the magpul reputation is quite high, where as the troy one is not nearly as large, but I have heard good things.

at the 5.99 price point, I would question why so cheap as nate seems to be eluding.

I would wager they aren't selling well, so they are trying to dump inventory. Every COD fanboy knows about magpul stuff, and that's what people want. I wouldn't suggest they don't sell well based on quality of product.

my second thought is they are not authentic troy magazines, but I really doubt midway wouldn't be selling those.

great cheap mags for the range, the jury is still out if they are "battle ready" magazines.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As a 3-gunner I originally used only Pmags which I replaced eventually with Lancer L5AWM mags. I still use Pmags for somethings (they are now used by the US and have a US part number but they were recently banned because the common variety Pmag don't work well in either of the new HK support arms, even the Emag). I have other brands also. Israeli IWI mags are decent, Thermolds tend to be crap but I kind of like their expandable 26-45 round mags just to be different. I would not bet my life on them. They are the last ones I would grab in a firefight except for the 100 rd dual drum, as that is the mag you hope a serial killer uses because it will jam his gun so he has to use something else.
    Never used a Troy and not sure I know anyone who does. The 40 rd Pmags and the 48 rd hybrids (Pmag + Nordic 18 rd extension) all work good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom