• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    "Sheriff's Office to host Critical Incident Preparedness training for local Church leaders"

Westminster, Carroll County, Maryland; November 10, 2017 ----
    On Wednesday, November 15th, 2017, at 1 pm, the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office will provide a training seminar on Critical Incident Preparedness. This training will be specifically geared towards local Church leaders, and will cover such topics as incident planning, situational awareness, and response. The event is expected to last approximately 2 hours.

Similar training has been provided at Carroll County Public Schools over the past few years. Based largely from that curriculum, this training will focus specifically on the Church environment.

The training will be conducted at the Carroll County Public Safety Training Center, located at 50 Kate Wagner Road, Westminster. Please RSVP with Sergeant Michael Zepp at mzepp@ccg.carr.org, or by phone at 410-386-2570. We hope all local area Church leaders can attend.

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    Great. If it's like the schools, it will be lock the door, stay away from the windows, etc. My wife has had the CCPS training several times. No talk of being on offense when the perp walks in the room... hurry up and wait to be a victim.

dlmarion

Feb 6, 2013
    Carroll County
    She did. Instructor, being former LE, agreed but said it's not county policy. Some of the other teachers in the training we're shocked that she was thinking that way.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I was asked several months ago to be one of a dozen or so parishioners at my church to attend a Howard County training session on crowd management. It was required by county regulations that organizations having large assemblies of people have one person per 200 people take the training and be certified. It turned out to be completely focused on fire safety and orderly evacuation and was a "check the box" activity. I've asked about active shooter training, but there appears to be no interest, even though we often have as many as 1000 people in our facility at one time.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Great. If it's like the schools, it will be lock the door, stay away from the windows, etc.

That may work in a classroom in a school on the opposite side of campus of a school shooting, but a church sanctuary is a big room; once the shooter is inside there’s nothing to lock to keep the shooter out.

It will be interesting to hear a recap on this. Please let us know how it went.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    In my ccw class, there was a minister from Balto. City, who stated that things were so bad that many churches have someone with an AR in the back, keeping watch during service. That’s pretty f’ed up.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    In my ccw class, there was a minister from Balto. City, who stated that things were so bad that many churches have someone with an AR in the back, keeping watch during service. That’s pretty f’ed up.

And great all at the same time.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    It wasn't a bad presentation. More people there than I thought would be, about 75 showed up. Sheriff Dewees started it out, & surprisingly emphasized how the only way to stop bad guys is a good guy with a gun. I made a point afterwards to thank him for that. He didn't discourage gun ownership or carrying, but did say it should be done legally, bringing up how it's only legal to carry a handgun in your vehicle when going to or from a gunstore or a range. I didn't bring up designated collector status. :lol2:

The bulk was presented by Sgt Mike Zepp, who is fully bearded with tattoos covering both arms. :thumbsup:

Mostly he spoke about having a situational awareness mindset, along with being able to fight with what you might have available to you. He also went into how to read an individual by clothing, attitude, etc.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo is having a similar seminar this week

Howard County Police Department

THIS THURSDAY: Join the Howard County Police Department at an event discussing police and civilian response to violence in Houses of Worship. Gain insight to potential threats and hazards that may exist and hear safety tips and best practices for leaders and congregation members.

WHEN: Thursday, Dec. 7, 6:30-8:30 p.m.
    WHERE: Howard Community College, 10901 Little Patuxent Pkwy, Columbia--Health Sciences building in the Nursing lecture hall (main level, room #150)
    PARKING: Lots A, B and C are closest
    RSVP: Space is limited! Contact HCPD's Community Outreach Division at 410-313-2207 or HCPDOutreach@howardcountymd.gov

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'll bet that one doesn't get opened by the sheriff saying "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

We are a civil county full of diversity.
    We have no heavily bearded and tatted police officers; that sends the wrong message.

23405764_1500530546650966_4921876072760238012_o.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    We are a civil county full of diversity.
    We have no heavily bearded and tatted police officers; that sends the wrong message.

23405764_1500530546650966_4921876072760238012_o.jpg

Which one is the gay? I'm gonna say the Oriental one.

Anne Arundel has no tattoo issues. Hell, we even have one who has full sleeves and tats up to his neck. I don't think beards are uniform tho.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Which one is the gay? I'm gonna say the Oriental one.

Anne Arundel has no tattoo issues. Hell, we even have one who has full sleeves and tats up to his neck. I don't think beards are uniform tho.

My money is on one or both of the girls. Pretty sure I've seen HoCo officers with sleeves.
    Can you wear a gas mask with a beard?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    The training will be seriously flawed if they do not encourage armed security of some sort, killers prefer unarmed victims and when seconds count the police are just minutes away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom