Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 10th, 2019, 02:40 AM #1

Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 357 Magnum

I have a used one with a 4 1/2 inch barrel. I can get pretty accurate at 25 yards using lead bullets but I wanted more power at 50-100 yards if I could get it.
I'm trying the FTX bullets in it and they were good at 25 yards but when I moved to 50 I they wouldn't hit the target or board I have it glued to at all. I've only shot a couple of rounds because of rain and lightning storms in the area.
Am I asking too much of a 4 1/2 inch barrel?

Last edited by Striper69; September 13th, 2019 at 03:20 AM.
Striper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 02:52 AM #2
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

You mean Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk, not S&W.

From a 4/4.5 inch barrel, some loadings of 357 Magnum might have up to 1 inch bullet drop from 25 to 50 yards, so not much. The drop from 38 Special is going to be greater, of course.

The Ruger Blackhawk with the 6.5 inch vs 4.625 inch barrel fires a round at least 200 fps faster for most 357 Magnum loadings, so yes, it will further minimize bullet drop. However, I don't think this is necessarily the issue that you're experiencing with the shorter barrel when you move to 50 yards.
Old September 10th, 2019, 02:55 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper69 View Post
I have a used one with a 4 1/2 inch barrel. I can get pretty accurate at 25 yards using lead bullets but I wanted more power at 50-100 yards if I could get it.
I'm trying the FTX bullets in it and they were good at 25 yards but when I moved to 50 I they wouldn't hit the target or board I have it glued to at all. I've only shot a couple of rounds because of rain and lightning storms in the area.
Did Ruger sell the “Blackhawk” name to Smith and Wesson? I don’t see that model on their site. And yes, you’re asking quite a lot for a 4-1/2” barrel. Accuracy and 4-1/2” barrel usually aren’t used in the same sentence, not at 50-100 yds anyway.
AlBeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 03:00 AM #4

Not familiar with FTX specifically . I have gotten sub 1 in group @ 25yds with jacketed 125gr with 4 5/8 .357 Blackhawk .

Not .357 , but I have used factory jhp to hit 200yd rams in IHMSA .

The accuracy of your Blackhawk probably isn't your limiting factor .
Biggfoot44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:12 AM #5

Handgun shooting is a challenge. Plain and simple.
Distance shooting even more so.

Your Ruger is capable of outstanding accuracy. But then there's the human factor.

All else being equal, a 50 yard target is significantly harder to see clearly than a 25 yard target. Add to this the fact that distance magnifies any and all sighting errors. So does lack of distance between front and rear sights with regard to handguns with comparatively shorter barrel length. Typically harder for example to shoot a snubby as well as you might a handgun with a longer sight radius.

It is a very interesting exercise to be able to watch a 50 yard dirt berm when someone is shooting a target placed even at short distances. Wanna know how they're doing? You don't even need to see their target. Watch for consistency of bullet impact on a 50 yard berm.

Even with targets set at typically short handgun distances, the difference in bullet impact with many newer shooters, especially when bullets strike a dirt berm at 50 yards, will be measured not in inches but rather in feet. And that assumes they're consistently hitting the berm at all.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 07:24 AM #6
Oddball caliber fan

Oddball caliber fan

I can hit a steel torso past 50 yards with my 9mm pistol, if I do my part. You should be able to do the same with your revolver. Are you shooting from a bench or unsupported?

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 09:38 AM #7

The Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks are some of the most consistently accurate revolvers out there. 50 yard shooting is at least 2 times more difficult as 25 yard shooting. As humbling as it may be, good groups at 25 yards and shotgun patterns at 50 yards is the shooting or the ammunition. I would say the shooter in this case. A couple of members posted good info.

I would add the following three points.
1.) Are you seeing the front sight clearly, aligned in the rear sight, and where the sights are on target when the revolver recoils? If not, there is substantial probable cause for the 50 yard misses.
2.) Are you using the stock grips. This will be an aid but not a complete answer to the long range inaccuracy. Ugly as they are, a set of Pachmyers would certainly help in stablizing the revolver in your hands.
3.) Are you using appropriately sized targets at 50 yards? A paper plate with a cardboard 3'x3' backing would be ideal.
Old September 10th, 2019, 11:46 AM #8
SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper69 View Post

"Back in the day" several of us would use short-barreled .357 magnum(s) shooting NRA Hunter Pistol at SCSC.

I used to shoot my 4" S&W mdl 19-4 w/ Hornady 158 gr JHP in front of a mild charge of Unique.
This was an effective load, and would topple the Rams at 100 yards, when I did my part.
(The Turkeys at 75 yards were some humbling little birds, though!)

One old guy (may he Rest in Peace) would even bring out his 2" mdl 36 and "clang" the Rams at 100 yards w/ .38 Special and lead 'pellets'.

That Blackhawk should surely be up to the task!
Originally Posted by K31 01/06/2015 @ 6:59 p.m.
There's nothing quite like standing on the firing line, stuffing your ramrod down a waiting black hole, slathering your balls with grease, and then having as many as eight nipples.

With regard to reloading:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff7mm 04/28/2016, 07:32 PM
Dealing with stuff that can cause catastrophic failure in your firearms, and injury or death to you and those in close proximity. I treat every step as if my life depends on it.
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2019, 11:48 AM #9

Just for fun.....
Label all 6 Cylinders and accuracy test each independently.

You may find that 1 (Or More) have very different results?
kalister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 02:41 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
I can hit a steel torso past 50 yards with my 9mm pistol, if I do my part. You should be able to do the same with your revolver. Are you shooting from a bench or unsupported?
I'm trying to support my hands with shooting sticks which would be what I use if I hunt with the pistol.
Striper69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns