Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 29th, 2019, 04:52 PM #1

Best MD Legal AK Variant

Just so happens that I got a crazy deal on a bunch of steel AK mags. Now I need a gun to use them....

I'd like to get something similar to the pictured (right) with railed/MLOK handguards to set it up like my ARs...guess I could add those later. Longest barrel possible if a pistol? I've seen a few 12" models listed online but most are shorter. I'm guessing 14.5" is not a thing in the AK world? My research says Krebs are overrated. I thought those were the gold standard. Really sounds like there is a ton of junk on the AK market. Where should I look?
Attached Images

Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol
rparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 04:57 PM #2

Here's a 14.5" barrel AK pistol. You can also get a regular AKM barrel and chop it to 15.9".

https://www.jmac-customs.com/14-5-7-62x39mm-barrel/

There is at least one 16" barrel semi-auto pistol on the roster (ATI AT-94P), so I don't know why MSP would allow a 16" barrel AK pistol.
ken792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 06:12 PM #3
Jew with a Gun

Jew with a Gun

Galil ACE 7.62x39 would be my choice, but it's not traditional. Arsenal does have pistol imports you could use. If price is not an object, Rifle Dynamics has the RD704P that is pretty excellent.
Old August 29th, 2019, 06:27 PM #4

The problem is most 7.62x39 rifles that look like AK’s are banned. M+M, CMMG, PTR, and Palmetto all make rifles that take AK magazines but they’re basically a combination of AR and AK or HK and AK with the PTR.

Arsenal’s pistols won’t work assuming you want to actually SBR it because the rifles are banned and the ATF will disapprove it. Same with the Century C39V2 pistols, I found that out the hard way.

Century has the 12.5” barreled Draco pistol that should still be able to be made into a SBR unless someone has tried making one recently and been disapproved.
MSI Member
GSSF Member
IX-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 07:03 PM #5

Slr-104
aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 07:26 AM #6

I’ve never heard a bad thing about a Galil Pistol. I know 2 people that have them personally who love them.
Elrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 08:39 AM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwos View Post
Galil ACE 7.62x39 would be my choice, but it's not traditional. Arsenal does have pistol imports you could use. If price is not an object, Rifle Dynamics has the RD704P that is pretty excellent.
The Galil ACE is on the MD banned list. Which is confusing because Atlantic Firearms has them in stock and designated as MD compliant. Will be hard to find an FFL willing to do the transfer.

Having said that, there are two easy modifications that you can make to make the Galil that makes it more traditional.

Option 1 - Remove the polymer lower and add the traditional Galil Trigger guard, trigger guard post and pistol grip (see image)

or

Option 2 - cut down the lower polymer housing (see image)
Attached Images

Pedantic: someone who is unimaginable dull and too concerned with literal accuracy or formality. It's a negative term that implies someone is showing off book learning or trivia in a tiresome, childlike and annoying way.
grimnar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 09:55 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimnar15 View Post
The Galil ACE is on the MD banned list. Which is confusing because Atlantic Firearms has them in stock and designated as MD compliant. Will be hard to find an FFL willing to do the transfer.

Having said that, there are two easy modifications that you can make to make the Galil that makes it more traditional.

Option 1 - Remove the polymer lower and add the traditional Galil Trigger guard, trigger guard post and pistol grip (see image)

or

Option 2 - cut down the lower polymer housing (see image)
Only banned because it comes stock with a flash hider and folding stock, which is two no no features.
JTH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 10:35 AM #9
Major Deplorable

Major Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH20 View Post
Only banned because it comes stock with a flash hider and folding stock, which is two no no features.
yup, ffl removes flash hider and adds a muzzle brake or compensator, = legal

or ffl removes flash hider and adds thread protector, = legal
Old August 30th, 2019, 10:52 AM #10