• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    Just picked up this one Saturday. Going shooting Friday. I'll let ya'll know how it does.

Attachments

• PX9104LP.jpg
      PX9104LP.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 172
    Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Rattlesnake skin on those grips? Interesting and yet disturbing, to me, at the same time.

Is that a SA factory ambi safety?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My first 1911 was an early commercial A1 ( high milage & refinished already so my conscience was clear) .

It was OK , but it bit me, and couldn't hardly see the tiny nickle plated sights. New sights , and drop-in beavertail ( King's IIRC ) and it was more OK'er , but still just a pistol.

Then I had extended loan of FIL's then pistol ( in the days when that was cool ) , and it had long trigger , and flat mainspring housing. Eureka !

* Most shooters will be better served w/ short trigger and/ or arched housing , but "for me" that's what works best. YMMV , try yourself , don't just ape whatever configuration is currently sexy. *

And yes , the HiPower is best shaped grip on a bottom feeder. But they bite worse than 1911s.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Oh and the Sig P220 is a fine pistol also, and will also give excellent service. If it suits you (and your wallet) go for it.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    At least she didn't want it Pink.

Vince, I also hate the pink guns BUT I know from my time in scuba diving that making pink gear actually catches some females eyes and helps get them interested. The gear can be pink or yellow or strawberry for all I care as long as the ladies shoot and get involved politically. Imagine if every female gun owner in MD was to send Sen Babs Mikulski a letter saying "I am a woman, I vote and I am proud to own a gun".

ThawMyTongue, please tell the wife nice handgun.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    All newer Springfield pistols start on IMBEL's (Brazil!) production line. Imbel has been exporting pistols and parts to SA since 1985.

I think the lower grade 1911's are completely built in Brazil. The higher grade loaded 1911'a are assembled in the USA, with made in Brazil parts, and USA parts. Technically there not 100% USA made.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I hit the range again last night, and the actual model I fired was a Colt Double Eagle. It did not have an extended beaver tail, nor a safety on the grip like almost every other 1911 I've seen. I picked up a full size Springfield 1911, and it did fit my hand much better. I do like both the 1911 and the P220, one big positive the P220 has is that I can get a .22lr conversion for it to practice with, then swap tops and have a .45. Then again, the 1911 is a nice classic. Decisions, decisions...

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I hit the range again last night, and the actual model I fired was a Colt Double Eagle. It did not have an extended beaver tail, nor a safety on the grip like almost every other 1911 I've seen. I picked up a full size Springfield 1911, and it did fit my hand much better. I do like both the 1911 and the P220, one big positive the P220 has is that I can get a .22lr conversion for it to practice with, then swap tops and have a .45. Then again, the 1911 is a nice classic. Decisions, decisions...

No wonder you had an initial crappy experience.. It was a COLT DOUBLE EAGLE. THAT IS NOT A 1911( huh? removing the grip safety- bevertail, thumbsafety and awesome SAO trigger is suppose to be an improvement, tthen( stuttering in anger) replaced with a 100 lb da tttrigger. Alright, who's been smokin weed?)

that pistol , along with the Paraordnance LDA is an abomination and anyone using one should be arrested , put in jail and indoctrinated that you do not fornicate with the classics.

The double Eagle and craptastic old Colt 2000 pistol were examples of the time when ghey hippies were in charge of COLT R/D and marketing.

( look at the Colt 2000, developed during the time Beretta 92s were selling like pancakes... It looks like a deformed lovechild of a 1911, M92 , glock...that was the time when ergonomics also equates to ugly... that still applies today if you are an engineer working for Taurus)

Attachments

• picture 663.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
      picture 663.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg
      24.3 KB · Views: 216
    • colt_2000.jpg
      colt_2000.jpg
      31.6 KB · Views: 290

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members