• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Brad is spot on with dressing the bolt tail. I used to do that as part of my reliability package.

What has me concerned is why the retainer was jacked up if it was a carrier burr.

Yea that is why I originally thought it was the retainer as well. But I'm unsure of how the buffer striking the retainer would cause the damage it has.

It originally had an A1 stock on it, does that have a different way of interacting with retainer?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yea that is why I originally thought it was the retainer as well. But I'm unsure of how the buffer striking the retainer would cause the damage it has.

It originally had an A1 stock on it, does that have a different way of interacting with retainer?

Both stocks retin the buffer retainer the same way.

If the buffer is slamming into it, even slightly it can deform the main body of the retainer enough to damage it.

Another possibilty is the buffer retainer could have been damaged since it was built.

If you dont think you want to try, I can deburr the tail of the carrier if you want to mail it to me. I ised to do it to all of my reliability packages but I stopped after a customer gave me issues.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Both stocks retin the buffer retainer the same way.

If the buffer is slamming into it, even slightly it can deform the main body of the retainer enough to damage it.

Another possibilty is the buffer retainer could have been damaged since it was built.

If you dont think you want to try, I can deburr the tail of the carrier if you want to mail it to me. I ised to do it to all of my reliability packages but I stopped after a customer gave me issues.

I really appreciate the offer but I talked to PSA this morning, the order is probably a year and a half old but they sent me a shipping label so I should be getting a new BCG and buffer . Might as well make them fix their mistake.

The retainer had a nick at the bottom of it that flared outwards, I believe that was what caused it to be stuck. I'm frankly not sure how that damage could even occur. I'd imagine if the BCG is slamming into the top of the retainer, it would push the bottom of the retainer opposite of the BCG in not nick it up.

I'm almost thinking the previous owner might have done it on purpose to keep it from popping out when taking the stock off...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Could there be a problem with the upper being out of spec allowing too much movement between it and the lower?

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    I run the JP Enterprises Silent Captive spring in all my AR's, ZERO issues to date and love not hearing that spring TWANG in my ear.

Attachments

• JPE Captive Buffer Spring.jpg
      JPE Captive Buffer Spring.jpg
      113.3 KB · Views: 198

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Fortunately, I don't have this problem with any of my upper/lower/buffer setups, but a much simpler (and ultimately far cheaper) solution might be to go to any hardware store and buy a 5/8" Nylon cap plug to insert in to the end of the bolt carrier. Once installed these stick out less than 1/32" from the back of the bolt carrier, so they won't interfere with normal function/operation in any way, and will ensure that your buffer won't make contact with the buffer retainer. This will also prevent the BC from contacting the buffer face as well, so if your carrier should happen to have any burs on it this will stop the BC from beating the crap out of your buffer face.

They cost about 50 cents ea. and they fit in the end of the BC very tight due to the "expando fingers" around the perimeter, so they won't rotate in use, and the Nylon plastic material is very tough, so it should hold up well to even the most serious pounding.

You will need to cut out a small notch in the plastic to clear the groove cut in the bottom of the BCG, (see pic) but any sharp Xacto or box cutter knife should work fine for this.

Attachments

• DSCF1650.jpg
      DSCF1650.jpg
      55 KB · Views: 165
    Last edited:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Well I sent the BCG and buffers back to PSA. They sent me a new BCG but no buffers to my gun range instead of my house. The Bew BCG they sent me was so out of spec that the lugs wouldn't match up, and the BCH was actually slightly stuck. I call them and say hey, how about my buffers and how about a IN-SPEC BCG to my HOUSE. They send another BCG and two buffers to my gun range. :rolleyes:

I now have a pile of Colt BCGs that I paid maybe 50% more but I know they will actually work properly.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well I sent the BCG and buffers back to PSA. They sent me a new BCG but no buffers to my gun range instead of my house. The Bew BCG they sent me was so out of spec that the lugs wouldn't match up, and the BCH was actually slightly stuck. I call them and say hey, how about my buffers and how about a IN-SPEC BCG to my HOUSE. They send another BCG and two buffers to my gun range. :rolleyes:

I now have a pile of Colt BCGs that I paid maybe 50% more but I know they will actually work properly.

The colt BCGs drop right in? If so its not the upper or barrel.

Its possible that the Gas Key is screwed up if its getting stuck in battery with an empty chamber. Damaged Gas rings can do the same.

Seems like PSA is dropping the ball hard.

Im suprised PSA even responded to your inquiries. They are awful with returns and customer service in my opinion.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The colt BCGs drop right in? If so its not the upper or barrel.

Its possible that the Gas Key is screwed up if its getting stuck in battery with an empty chamber. Damaged Gas rings can do the same.

Seems like PSA is dropping the ball hard.

Im suprised PSA even responded to your inquiries. They are awful with returns and customer service in my opinion.

The last one (number 3) dropped right in and works fine and doesn't mar the buffer but damn they didn't make it easy.

I might have to start steering rookies to companies that don't rely on their customers QCing everything themselves.

I usually get ahold of them and they are always responsive and don't really question your story, but they have a habit of messing up orders.

But then if they charged to QC people would bitch about price.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The last one (number 3) dropped right in and works fine and doesn't mar the buffer but damn they didn't make it easy.

I might have to start steering rookies to companies that don't rely on their customers QCing everything themselves.

I usually get ahold of them and they are always responsive and don't really question your story, but they have a habit of messing up orders.

But then if they charged to QC people would bitch about price.

This is why I steer new people away from PSA...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom