• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    http://www.ruger.com/news/2015-12-09a.html

"The Ruger 10/22 Takedown with target barrel features a .920" diameter, 16.10" cold hammer-forged barrel. The barrel is fluted for weight reduction, features a 1/2"-28 threaded muzzle and is fitted with a thread cap. This new target barrel takedown model also incorporates the Ruger Modular Stock System and comes with both low and high comb, standard length of pull modules."

21133.jpg

MSRP $629.

I thought that Ruger was to offer additional barrels for the TD - didn't figure that they would offer new rifles. Can't tell if it comes with the new trigger.

Thoughts ?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    being a target model, I wonder how accuracy is affected by taking apart and putting it back together over and over.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    being a target model, I wonder how accuracy is affected by taking apart and putting it back together over and over.

Ruger's takedown rifles, from what I have seen, lock up very, very well and the mechanism they use is adjustable to make sure it maintains a tight lock up and accuracy.

The only thing that is odd, is that the takedown is meant to be light and portable. Don't know why you would get this instead of the tactical model. This does have a threaded muzzle, but if you're looking for ultimate accuracy, just get the normal tactical version.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Ruger's takedown rifles, from what I have seen, lock up very, very well and the mechanism they use is adjustable to make sure it maintains a tight lock up and accuracy.

The only thing that is odd, is that the takedown is meant to be light and portable. Don't know why you would get this instead of the tactical model. This does have a threaded muzzle, but if you're looking for ultimate accuracy, just get the normal tactical version.

what's that saying? "There's a butt for every seat."

People will still buy this.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I've heard that the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Picatinny Rail Mount that comes with the rifle is not very good and should be replaced. Is this true? If so, any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    I've heard that the Ruger 10/22 Takedown Picatinny Rail Mount that comes with the rifle is not very good and should be replaced. Is this true? If so, any suggestions?
    Thanks!

There are a lot of options.

I bought this Picatinny mount to replace the included Weaver one which allows you to see through the length of the mount to the original iron sights if you have QD rings on your optic.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/SLR1022-BL.html

SLR-1022-BLB.gif

1022closeup.jpg

Paired it up with a Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28mm on low rings - just fits in the takedown bag.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    There are a lot of options.

I bought this Picatinny mount to replace the included Weaver one which allows you to see through the length of the mount to the original iron sights if you have QD rings on your optic.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/SLR1022-BL.html

SLR-1022-BLB.gif

1022closeup.jpg

Paired it up with a Leupold VX-1 Rimfire 2-7x28mm on low rings - just fits in the takedown bag.

Thank you sir for taking the time to reply. Very helpful.

Do you think the above mount will work okay with the Nikon P-223 3X32 Riflescope? Guess I'd still need low rings - like you, although I'm not yet sure which ones to get.

Orthogonal

Jul 23, 2013
    Bel Air
    Thank you sir for taking the time to reply. Very helpful.

Do you think the above mount will work okay with the Nikon P-223 3X32 Riflescope? Guess I'd still need low rings - like you, although I'm not yet sure which ones to get.

You should be fine with the mount, 1in tube picatinny low rings and the 32mm objective on the 223. Nikon lists the outer diameter as 39mm - my VX-1 at 36mm OD has a lot more clearance than 1.5 mm, plus the 223 is 2in shorter so it won't come near contacting the iron sights on the barrel, which is really the hidden limiting factor on the TD.

I only have experience with Warne and Leupold QD rings. I see Warne 1 in lows on Amazon for $51. Leupold QRWs go for $58.

Not my rifle, but closest to my setup:

Attachments

• 20130314_145827.jpg
      20130314_145827.jpg
      102.9 KB · Views: 635

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    You should be fine with the mount, 1in tube picatinny low rings and the 32mm objective on the 223. Nikon lists the outer diameter as 39mm - my VX-1 at 36mm OD has a lot more clearance than 1.5 mm, plus the 223 is 2in shorter so it won't come near contacting the iron sights on the barrel, which is really the hidden limiting factor on the TD.

I only have experience with Warne and Leupold QD rings. I see Warne 1 in lows on Amazon for $51. Leupold QRWs go for $58.

Not my rifle, but closest to my setup:

I'm very grateful for the info. you have provided me. Thanks!

Edit:
    Link below for Warne rings on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Warne-Scope-M...r0&keywords=Warne+1+in+lows+on+Amazon+for+$51

Leupold QRW on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-QRW-1...0825584&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Leupold+QRW+$58

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

They also have a lightweight version. Same look, as it has a barrel shroud.

I have looked at them at Green Top and almost brought one home.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Lite/models.html

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So does anybody have one of these? How do you like it?

I own one and it's fantastic.

I put a Kidd bolt handle and recoil rod / spring assembly in it, as well as a Kidd bolt release.

I have the locking collar adjusted fairly tight (many people find that it's better if you adjust them well past what Ruger says to do), and it returns to zero each time.

I'm running a UTG "Bug Buster" scope on it (3-9X, AO) because it's short and fits well in the case.

This rifle will do one hole groups all day long at 25 yards from a rest. I've yet to get it on a range longer than that, but I will soon. Mine is still the stock trigger, which is a normal 10/22 trigger. It's ok but not great.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I was working with my wood stock standad a couple weeks ago. I mounted a scope just for accuracy, gun setup and shooting technique evaluation. I then removed the scope with the mini red dot I had mounted on it after testing.

First off, I bedded the action in the stock. The screw constantly worked loose from incorrect inletting. I also installed the Ruger trigger unit.

The test evaluated from shooting CCI Mini Mags. I had to slightly relieve the stock where the barrel lugs lock into the receiver. Tightening the tension ring one click at a time I determined if you back off one click from where the barrel would not twist into lock gave the most consistent accuracy. Last issue I determined was to hold the front end within 10 inches of the back/front lock up area. It will do about 1 inch per 25 yards with an occasional flyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom