• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wangstarr03

Dec 7, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Just curious if any of you maintain non-resident ccw permits (and if so, where) whilst not having your MD permit?

According the the court clerk where my VA resident permit was issued, "once the permit is issued, it is valid until expiry" regardless of domicile unless I, as the permit holder, do something that would forfeit my right to hold a ccw in the eyes of VA law. That said, I'm planning for the inevitability of when my permit expires and I'll have to obtain a non-resident permit (or several) that will cover as much of the U.S. as possible.

Given the lack of reciprocity among the gun grabber states (MD included) I won't be able to carry anywhere near here but would like to maximize my ability elsewhere. What about all of you?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Utah Non-Res, covers roughly 30 states as a Non-Res and is good for 5 years at a time (unless you do something that would legally require the forfeiture of the permit).

The advantage to obtaining multiple state permits isn't always reciprocity/acknowledgement, it's also being able to stay on the good side of the GFSZ Act as well when traveling in other states. GFSZ Act - Gun Free School Zone Act.

There's plenty of IP's here that'd be more than happy to help you obtain permits from as many other states as possible.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I only have a Texas CHL but it is good for all states surrounding Maryland. The major downside to getting one is that you have to take the class in Texas. On the upside, it makes a fine excuse to visit Texas.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have UT, FL, and VA.

VA does not add any states, but there have been a few cases of VA troopers hassling people about GFSZ if you do not have a VA permit.

I plan on making a road trip and adding TX (good in PA) and NV.

I understand that CT, ME, and NH are pretty easy to get. And, IIRC, those states only honor their own permits.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I just got my CT permit. It is not difficult to get, it's a bit expensive and they claimed my prints were unreadable twice until they accepted the 3rd card. I have 5 other permits and numerous form 4's with no print issues.

So now I have NV,AZ,UT,FL, VA and CT. I will wait until the Wrenn case is decided to see if I can get DC. I have no G&S other than being a law abiding citizen, which apparently is not sufficient

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Could someone please post the address of the website where I can go to get information on the non-resident VA CCW application process? Thanks.

Cal68

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have UT, FL, and VA.

VA does not add any states, but there have been a few cases of VA troopers hassling people about GFSZ if you do not have a VA permit.

I plan on making a road trip and adding TX (good in PA) and NV.

I understand that CT, ME, and NH are pretty easy to get. And, IIRC, those states only honor their own permits.

Like PA, NH will not issue a permit unless you have a home state permit first. That almost precludes most MD'ers.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    We have All Inclusive Utah classes on the schedule and will be adding additional dates soon. We include lecture only course, fingerprinting, photos photocopying and postage. We also review each application twice to help reduce errors and processing time.http://www.genesisfirearms.com

Last edited:

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    When I lived in Maryland I had a UT non-resident permit. I moved to Colorado and immediately after I got my CO drivers license I got my CO CCW. I can carry in 34 states with my CO resident permit, the UT non-res adds 2 more states for 36 total. Ironically my UT non-res is no good in both MD and CO so when I first moved here I was still unarmed in CO, though I could carry in every border state of CO.

Petar

Nov 18, 2010
    VA non-resident permit renewal will cost you $100 and the paperwork will be the same, including finger prints, as initial application. Utah non-resident permit renewal is $15 and you can renew it on-line in 5 minutes.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did my UT class through Duke's Defense. He provided paperwork for UT (and fingerprints), FL and VA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom