• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Had a spike come in for a while this evening but I'm holding out for one of the 8 pointers that's been on my camera fairly regularly. May try again in the morning before rain rolls in.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    Medium Doe...Backstraps!

Attachments

• 11863479_1098439950166878_9179762222679618932_n.jpg
      11863479_1098439950166878_9179762222679618932_n.jpg
      115.6 KB · Views: 504

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    Had 7 deer come within 20 yards friday evening but nothing worth dealing with. Couple moms and babies but even the moms were small.

Try again this week sometime.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Had 7 deer come within 20 yards friday evening but nothing worth dealing with. Couple moms and babies but even the moms were small.

Same thing here. Does and skippers and a fork in bow range but nothing that got me interested in launching an arrow. In a few weeks things should improve. This next weekend is supposed to be hot and sunny. Yuck!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I had my 4 wheeler parked a little too far out in the access road and I guess the deer saw it and snorted up a storm....maybe I'll have to brush it in next time:o

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I had my 4 wheeler parked a little too far out in the access road and I guess the deer saw it and snorted up a storm....maybe I'll have to brush it in next time:o

I have a buddy who did that once...took him a couple hours to find it.:lol2:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I'm taking the lazy route. I have a shed in my backyard with a few windows. I'll open them and sit inside waiting for a shot. No need for climbing a tree. I doubt I could do it, even if I wanted to.

I've got deer coming up and eating the seed out of the bird feeders. All I need is that 10 pointer to show his grubby little set of antlers during legal hunting hours, and I'll be a happy camper.

This will probably induce me to sleep in the basement for a month or two. I don't understand how the wife has no problem with me killing deer somewhere else, but she's so set against me killing one in our backyard.

I just hope the deer don't disappear like they did last year. I've got to check my trail camera to see what's been visiting the bird feeder the last 2 nights.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I'm taking the lazy route. I have a shed in my backyard with a few windows. I'll open them and sit inside waiting for a shot. No need for climbing a tree. I doubt I could do it, even if I wanted to.

I've got deer coming up and eating the seed out of the bird feeders. All I need is that 10 pointer to show his grubby little set of antlers during legal hunting hours, and I'll be a happy camper.

This will probably induce me to sleep in the basement for a month or two. I don't understand how the wife has no problem with me killing deer somewhere else, but she's so set against me killing one in our backyard.

I just hope the deer don't disappear like they did last year. I've got to check my trail camera to see what's been visiting the bird feeder the last 2 nights.
    :lol2: neighbors have a feeder out and some nice bucks come in and they ask me where a good place to hunt deer is:sad20::sad20: I tell them at your feeder! Im not even telling them where the elk are because they have friends coming up and theres lots of elk in the area and I know they and others will be hunting in the area...trophy hunting...so Ive been silent about telling anyone where they are at...

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    I like the smalls ones, meat is excellent and easy to get out of the woods in warm weather. MD allows for very generous doe harvest so no need to worry about running out of tags.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Egads, I had a guy on Facebook tell me his hunting club fines hunters 50.00 if they shoot a button buck. I assume Cecil, since it's a Cecil hunting and swap group.

I had at least a dozen spikes roaming my property last year, doesn't sound like a great gene pool. ( there was at least 1 decent 8 and a big 8 with a funny antler on the other side) And BB are tasty.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I like the smalls ones, meat is excellent and easy to get out of the woods in warm weather. MD allows for very generous doe harvest so no need to worry about running out of tags.

Me too. I'd rather shoot 2 small does than 1 big doe. Its just so much easier to deal with. Everyone i hunt with purposely shoots at least 1 small one a year. Those deer are set a side for steaks.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD

80 degrees out, 20-25lbs of meat for hours of work rushing around.....not this time of year. When its cold enough to let them hang a couple days its a different story.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Yes it can be work, but I've done a lot of deer and have a pretty quick system. A small deer skinned and quartered fits into a cooler with frozen ice jugs overnight to allow for riger mortis to set in and better meat. The next day I cut and package. I usually grind the scraps into burger too, but sometimes will freeze the scraps and do a bigger batch with more from (hopefully) other deer later.

80 degrees out, 20-25lbs of meat for hours of work rushing around.....not this time of year. When its cold enough to let them hang a couple days its a different story.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Egads, I had a guy on Facebook tell me his hunting club fines hunters 50.00 if they shoot a button buck. I assume Cecil, since it's a Cecil hunting and swap group.

I had at least a dozen spikes roaming my property last year, doesn't sound like a great gene pool. ( there was at least 1 decent 8 and a big 8 with a funny antler on the other side) And BB are tasty.

Its funny about that when everyone else around the "hunting preserve" is shooting whatever...:lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom