• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Why Try

Mar 4, 2013
    Frederick area
    If I'm on my farm I know I have the right to carry. If I'm carrying a handgun or reg rifle and I'm going to a different area of my farm and get in or on a motorized vehicle, car, ATV, truck my understanding is I have to unload. I'm I correct? If I'm correct does anyone else see this as dumb? 500 acres I should be able to do what I want. Does this differ by state?

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If you stay on your property you can carry however you want, no need to unload if you get in your truck. Now if you go out on a public road, that's a different animal all together.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The crux of the apostrophe

What about DNR laws? Is that only while hunting?

The DNR can make you prove it to a judge if they decide to. How can you prove that you were not hunting? If there is anything hunting related on you or in your vehicle it won't go well.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Just be careful going to the mailbox or being at the margins of your property. You may be on an easement.

Can you explain this further?

What if someone owns a large plot of land; lets say 500 acres, and the power company or the local county government has an easement going across a field for something such as a buried gas line or overhead power lines... If that property owner is walking across their 500 acre field and enters that "easement", their right to carry a firearm no longer applies and they can be arrested?

I mean, this would be no different than the easement along side of the roadway to gain access to your property, correct?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Probably to the letter of the law would be a no go but, in reality, if you were in good stead with the local authorities, I wouldn't see that as a problem. Now, if the local authorities were waiting for you to 'step on a crack' Meaning they are just waiting for you to slip up and break any law, then I would be very cautious.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Can you explain this further?

What if someone owns a large plot of land; lets say 500 acres, and the power company or the local county government has an easement going across a field for something such as a buried gas line or overhead power lines... If that property owner is walking across their 500 acre field and enters that "easement", their right to carry a firearm no longer applies and they can be arrested?

I mean, this would be no different than the easement along side of the roadway to gain access to your property, correct?

I would regard any easement as NOT being your property for the purposes of firearm carry.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you are hunting, the DNR laws apply.

If you are not hunting, DNR laws do not apply.
    That is kind of up to the discretion of the LEO. They can cite you for carrying a loaded weapon in a vehicle, whether you are actively hunting or not. You can be driving in Glen Burnie, be stopped, checked and charged if there is a round in a long gun in your vehicle, even if you are in plain clothes and not actively hunting.

They can apply DNR laws at any time, all they have to do it call in a DNR officer and he'll cite you. ;)

It is for this reason alone, that you are strongly advised to not have any ammo in a weapon while driving anywhere.. lol

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I would regard any easement as NOT being your property for the purposes of firearm carry.
    To be safe.. Yes.

It really depends what kind of easement and who gave access to whom.

Ingress and egress... Treat it as public road.
    Utility easements... Maybe an issue.. the utility company wants to protect their lines/equipment.

Not a lawyer but write up easements documents for a living. ;)

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    That is kind of up to the discretion of the LEO. They can cite you for carrying a loaded weapon in a vehicle, whether you are actively hunting or not. You can be driving in Glen Burnie, be stopped, checked and charged if there is a round in a long gun in your vehicle, even if you are in plain clothes and not actively hunting.

They can apply DNR laws at any time, all they have to do it call in a DNR officer and he'll cite you. ;)

It is for this reason alone, that you are strongly advised to not have any ammo in a weapon while driving anywhere.. lol

I am referring to being only on one's property, which is easy to do on 500 acres ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I am referring to being only on one's property, which is easy to do on 500 acres ;)
    DNR laws apply at all time.. .hunting or not, they can cite you if you are carrying a loaded weapon (including just a round in a mag in the firearm).

It is up to the discretion of the LEO in question and they can always call in the DNR for support and charges if they feel it is warranted, or as in our case, we are often checked on the properties that we hunt by DNR. It is safer to be unloaded while in a vehicle.

If you are on your own farm/property, driving after hunting hours in low light conditions with headlights on, you can be cited for spotlighting deer. Add in a weapon and or ammo and it can be taken as hunting at night with the aid of a light.. This is a very bad thing... LOL

This is usually up to the officer in question, but it's a risk.. ;)

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    How is one going to get into "easements" with the Police? They aren't surveyors, nor are they going to call the clerk office's at the circuit court to get land records.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    How is one going to get into "easements" with the Police? They aren't surveyors, nor are they going to call the clerk office's at the circuit court to get land records.
    They won't.. But once the utility owner call it in.. They can and will.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'd be more worried about why a law enforcement officer was showing up on your property without you knowing about it ahead of time.

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    If you give an easement to someone, you are not giving up your ownership of the property. You still own the property you still pay the real estate taxes on the property, you are just encumbering the property to an additional person(s), entity or party that has certain rights to access the property under the conditions specified in the easement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom