• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    LOL.. know the feeling.. :o

Never loaded anything under 125gr for the 300, yet.. most of what I load is heavy boolits at sub velocities, but the 125gr Nos BT's shoot fine out of my pistol. I have some 110 Controlled Chaos to load up here in the next couple weeks, anxious to see how they work. Guess the pointy ones will work better in those light weight ranges...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I am using H110 also for the lighter boolits, A1680 for heavy subs. I run a 1:8 bbl on a 10.5" length. Gonna test around 18.5gr of H110 for the LD 110's

Praeger

Apr 7, 2014
    Howard County
    I am using H110 also for the lighter boolits, A1680 for heavy subs. I run a 1:8 bbl on a 10.5" length. Gonna test around 18.5gr of H110 for the LD 110's

I couldn't find 1680, but did find H4198. Works well on 180 gr subsonic through AAC Model 7. 11.8 gr produced average of 1050 fps.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda

I've tried these and experienced significant feeding problems. They also shed significant amounts of lead in the barrel at subsonic velocities despite ample lubing. I would not recommend them.

Picture compared to the 220gr SMK... New and recovered rounds. Lead erosion is pretty apparent.

y9ysatuh.jpg

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've tried these and experienced significant feeding problems. They also shed significant amounts of lead in the barrel at subsonic velocities despite ample lubing. I would not recommend them.

I can imagine that plastic would not have much lubricity and therefore drag/stick on feed ramps.

And the plastic would have to be burning off and causing possible clogging of gas ports and internals.

What were you firing into?

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011

Picture compared to the 220gr SMK... New and recovered rounds. Lead erosion is pretty apparent.

y9ysatuh.jpg

220SMKs work great but are pricey. I'm hoping to work up a load around the heaviest blems/pull downs I can find.

I'm thinking this will be possible with a suppressed pistol gas system.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    It also has an effect if shooting suppressed which is a common use of 300blk. Exposed lead bases will have a slight tendency to leave a trace amount of lead on suppressor baffles. It's a tiny amount, but it's still there.

Yes - I've observed this. Even with .45ACP, you'll lead your baffles if the round has an exposed base.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I can imagine that plastic would not have much lubricity and therefore drag/stick on feed ramps.

And the plastic would have to be burning off and causing possible clogging of gas ports and internals.

What were you firing into?

1 - I was firing into hard rubber patio tiles (18"x18"x1"). 2-3 tiles usually stops a .22LR. 4-5 tiles will stop a 9mm or .45ACP. I stack 15 of these tiles for catching test fires... The distorted rounds in the pic penetrated all 15 tiles and hit the AR500 backer! To be clear, they were all subsonic! How's that for penetration? The less distorted rounds stopped in the rubber.

2 - My main feeding issues had to do with the bullet shape. The AR feed ramps were meant to guide small pointed bullets. The huge blunt end of the 245gr cast bullet is too wide to slide on the polished portion of the feed ramp, rather, it would catch on the sharp edges on the side of the feed ramp...

3 - The is not plastic... it's bullet lube. I'm not sure how/why, but it is supposed to prevent leading of the barrel. It is also all hidden inside the case, so it does not interfere with feeding.

4 - Whether rightly or wrongly, I was not too concerned about the gas port. One full power round down the tube would probably blow out anything clogging the port... much like shooting 22LR through your 5.56NATO upper.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I had some feeding problems with the 245 MBC's as well........enough to take the fun out of shooting them. No leading issues out of about 50-75 of them.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom