• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Like the title says: Cheap 300BLK plinking ammo.

Thought I may have feeding problems due to the shortened length.

No problems at all.

1.790 OAL

Hornady 110 grain FMJ with exposed lead base. 1,000 round bulk pack from Midway USA.

17 grains of 2400. Work up to what your own gun requires.

Leading concerns me a bit if it gets in the gas port. We'll see.

cheap 300 001.JPG

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm strongly considering going 300 BLK for deer hunting and I'll need some cheap plinking ammo if I go that route. Thx for posting this.

Are you using 223/556 cases that you have trimmed and fire formed or are you using pure 300 BLK brass?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    All of my 300 brass is cut down from 223/556 brass.

Finished OAL of 1.360 inches.

Zero crimp when seating the bullets because the shoulders tend to bulge a bit.

Fire forming isn't an issue as you will do a full length resize each time you de-prime.

RCBS Black Box die set.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Curious about the leading with an exposed base, keep us informed :thumbsup:

I have seen some pretty short COAL with some bullet combos, how is the accuracy? Feeding doesn't usually seem to be too much of an issue with the shorter loads, but the accuracy is an issue at times..

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I'm strongly considering going 300 BLK for deer hunting and I'll need some cheap plinking ammo if I go that route. Thx for posting this.

Are you using 223/556 cases that you have trimmed and fire formed or are you using pure 300 BLK brass?
    I have used both cut down brass and new factory brass and really see no difference in performance either way. Most of mine will be cut down, as range brass is cheap for the 223 and easy to cut and reform if you reload. It is a prohibitive caliber if you have to buy ammo, that is still pretty $$$$ lol

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I have seen some pretty short COAL with some bullet combos, how is the accuracy? Feeding doesn't usually seem to be too much of an issue with the shorter loads, but the accuracy is an issue at times..

Exposed lead base will not cause any leading because the jacket is the only part that touches the bore. All FMJ's with drawn jackets are exposed base.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Exposed lead base will not cause any leading because the jacket is the only part that touches the bore. All FMJ's with drawn jackets are exposed base.

Not exactly true. The lead of exposed bases can heat up to the point of melting when fired. Especially when fast burning powders are used like those in 300blk ammo. It also has an effect if shooting suppressed which is a common use of 300blk. Exposed lead bases will have a slight tendency to leave a trace amount of lead on suppressor baffles. It's a tiny amount, but it's still there.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

Was more concerned about functionality than group size.

Best guess would be a 6 shot group about the size of a quarter at 25 yards.

Of course all loads will react differently in different barrels.

Mine's an AR Stoner with a 1-8 twist.

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    Was more concerned about functionality than group size.

Best guess would be a 6 shot group about the size of a quarter at 25 yards.

Of course all loads will react differently in different barrels.

Mine's an AR Stoner with a 1-8 twist.

I was thinking these 110 gr round nose bullets would be good for a plinking load too. I have a 16" ar stoner 300 blk barrel also and the 110 feed, eject and fire fine through it but my 300 blk 8.5" pistol does not like to feed them reliably. I found some Speer TNT 125 grain HP bullets for $105 for 500 so I'm using them instead. If I ever find some A1680 I'll try casting some heavy bullets for subs and use them for plinking.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Not exactly true. The lead of exposed bases can heat up to the point of melting when fired. Especially when fast burning powders are used like those in 300blk ammo. It also has an effect if shooting suppressed which is a common use of 300blk. Exposed lead bases will have a slight tendency to leave a trace amount of lead on suppressor baffles. It's a tiny amount, but it's still there.
    That is more what I was getting at, the gas system, not the bore...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I fully agree on your point that lead can't be shaved off and deposited in gas port or the bore.

I was thinking more along the lines of a sudden hot explosion causing the very back of the bullet to become a lead gas of sorts.

Only time will tell and they can be broken down and cleaned if need be.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    If you are speaking of the RN 30 carbine style 110 bullet, Armscor makes some that works real well for me in my M1 and my Tokarev pistols. Wideners carries them, 240 bucks shipped for 2,000.

Also Hi Tech ammo sells them cheaper than the Hornady but may not be in stock right now.

FYI to save some money....

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Can't have the good without the bad.

This cartridge only works with one of my magazines. I guess it's catching the front edge of the mag just enough to allow it to jump up and into the chamber.

With several other mags, the bullets are bumping into the chamber feed ramps and coming to a complete and abrupt stop.

It would appear that long and pointy is better with 300BLK rounds in an AR.

These 110 grain bullets will be relegated to my 300BLK single shot H&R and my .30-30 lever gun.

Minor set-backs suck, but I thought I should put this out there so folks would know.

All info is good info in my opinion.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    1.360 for the case or the overall cartridge? That is my trim length.. lol

I load my 300 loads to about 2.180 and they seem to feed well and shoot accurately, though I have not loaded these projectiles at all, so.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom