• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Their 91/30's clean up real nice.

1938 Tula on a 1937 receiver.

Matching bayonet and a bright and shiny bore too.

Formby's finish remover easily took off Ivan's red shellac attack.

The final finish is a natural tone Danish Oil.

Need to find another sling for it though. This one is too new and maybe a reproduction.

duffy 9130 002.JPG

duffy 9130 003.jpg

duffy 9130 004.JPG

duffy 9130 005.JPG

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The new sling does match the newly refinished rifle well. What made you want to strip it?

I've never been a big fan of that red finish because it wasn't applied really well. Un-like the Russian SKS's which had nice finished. They just wanted to get something on the wood during the re-furb. I've held many non-refurbed rifles and none of them had the shellac on them. Originally, Mosin's came out of the factory with a natural finish on the stocks. Much nicer in my opinion. And the stock required zero sanding. Just a green scrubby pad using mineral spirits after the Formby's.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Very nice work. Stunning compared to the typical paintbrushed-on shellac applied during refurb.

I haven't bothered refinishing any of mine. One thing I do that greatly helps the look of refurbs is to use my fingernail or a piece of flexible plastic to carefully remove the shellac from the stock's metal work.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Very nice work. Stunning compared to the typical paintbrushed-on shellac applied during refurb.

I haven't bothered refinishing any of mine. One thing I do that greatly helps the look of refurbs is to use my fingernail or a piece of flexible plastic to carefully remove the shellac from the stock's metal work.

Thank you.

If that paint is too heavy and won't flake off, the Formby's will work without harming the blued finish.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I've never been a big fan of that red finish because it wasn't applied really well. Un-like the Russian SKS's which had nice finished. They just wanted to get something on the wood during the re-furb. I've held many non-refurbed rifles and none of them had the shellac on them. Originally, Mosin's came out of the factory with a natural finish on the stocks. Much nicer in my opinion. And the stock required zero sanding. Just a green scrubby pad using mineral spirits after the Formby's.

The original finish was shellac, but it quickly wore off and just left the oily finish you see on the non-refurbs. I've seen people strip the stocks then lightly stain and apply an oil finish. That can turn out very nice.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Man, ya really did a number on that thing. I seen the rack at Duffys. I was scurred, never saw the potential :ohnoes:

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    which formbys did you use the Furniture refinisher or the paint and poly remover? I might try that with one of my T53s. The stock isnt as nice as the others so it might be worth experimenting on to see how it comes out

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    which formbys did you use the Furniture refinisher or the paint and poly remover? I might try that with one of my T53s. The stock isnt as nice as the others so it might be worth experimenting on to see how it comes out

It took off that red shellac in about 10 minutes.

The pads pictured are what I used with mineral spirits after all of the Formby's and old finish was removed.

Keep the pads really wet and rinse often in the spirits.

Let dry for 24 hours. Then apply the natural tone Danish Oil. (Lowe's)

formby's 001.JPG

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    There's even a picture of ol' bubba hisself on the can!

I tried so hard not to comment on this. We need to take you to a thrift shop and get you some other kind of furniture to strip down and refinish.

Attachments

• bubba_formby's_2.jpg
      bubba_formby's_2.jpg
      52.3 KB · Views: 380

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There's even a picture of bubba hisself on the can!

I tried so hard not to comment on this. We need to take you to a thrift shop and get you some other kind of furniture to strip down and refinish.

I dun tolya an tolya, Iain'ta hav'in no red sheelac on mu gunz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom