• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Tomorrow morning, Saturday, at the site of the famous Alamo in San Antonio, Texas, around 1000 people are expected to attend a Long Gun Rally.

This will be important to watch because it closely parallels the Maryland Attorney General's declaration that open carry of rifles is legal for all citizens, except in school zones, government property etc.

The spark for the Alamo rally came from the recent arrest of three members of Open Carry Texas, who were arrested at a Starbucks while openly carrying their rifles. The charge was "alarming the public".

Texas has the same firearm limitations as Maryland: NO open carry of handguns but open carry of rifles is "legal"-- but is often avoided for fear of being arrested for "alarming the public".

Tomorrow's rally in San Antonio is designed to remind the public that Long Gun Open Carry is legal. Attendees are being advised to arrive in groups to avoid having the police "pick them off one by one' for arrest.

They are also advised to use slings to keep the muzzle in the air and to avoid accidentally brandishing their rifles. A fair number of AR-15s are expected among the people attending.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/15/u...n-texans-to-raise-their-rifles-high.html?_r=0

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion...mo-gun-rally-about-basic-freedoms-4904922.php

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Does Texas have the same law as MD regarding firearms during demonstrations?

Apparently, yes, but the local San Antonio law against demonstrations while carrying is being suspended "as a courtesy" this time. And probably because the no-demo rule is thought to be unconstitutional but they don't want to test it.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Yeah, I'm not sure how the state has a leg to stand on having admitted that there is legal open long gun carry and protesting under 1A is an enumerated civil right.

Perhaps it is time for a friendly delegate to ask a question about THAT law with regards to rifles as the "demonstration" law is in the handgun carry section of the law code (someone with better memory than I needs to chime in).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I was just there a few weeks ago.

It warms my cockles to hear of this. Wish I could participate!

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

That guy Jeff

The artist formerly known as eljefefx
    Sep 28, 2010
    An island in the PNW
    I grew up in San Antonio. One of the things I can remember since I was born was that people just don't hold political protests at the Alamo. That place is considered sacred to us Texans.

JettaRed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2013
    Middletown
    I grew up in San Antonio. One of the things I can remember since I was born was that people just don't hold political protests at the Alamo. That place is considered sacred to us Texans.

"I respect the opinions of folks who say this is not the right place," Patterson said to the crowd on Saturday. "But I submit to you there's one standard we should apply to gatherings here at this sacred cradle of Texas liberty and that is whether our activity and our purpose would be supported by those men who gave it all."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom