• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Before 10/1 if funds permit I am thinking of one last purchase, something along the lines of a classic S&W, preferably vintage

Must be at least .357 or .45
    Good size for range, was thinking a 19/66 or 27
    Preferably under $1000
    No model 10s.

Was trying to get a Python but they are to $$$ and I could get quite a few other things for that price.

This post is primarily to get an idea on good canidates to look for, but if you have something that meets my criteria and is a fair market price let me know.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Can't go wrong with any of them IMO.

I do love my model 27 though.

Attachments

• IMAG0209.jpg
      IMAG0209.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 371

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most common will be M19/ 66 .M28ks used to be common , but haven't seen many recently. If you stumble upon a M57 / M29 / M25(-2) (-5) (-7) or M24/624 within you budget , grab it.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I'm real partial to my 586, super accurate, no problem hitting steel plates at 100 yds. Always preferred the blued steel guns to the stainless, smoother operation.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpg
      IMG_1203.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 349

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Model 19 Combat Magnum is a beautiful piece of work. Feels great, super accurate, perfect size. But, there are a few you cannot go wrong with. This is just my favorite. Had one, regret selling it. :-( Would like to get another. I like the 6 " barrel, but, would take a nice 4" also. :-)

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I also like the Blue Charcoal that Turnball Co does for refinishing. I am going to get my browning HP refinish with this, as soon as I get all the mods completed for machine work on it. Not much, but, need sight grooves cut, some stippling, and some serrations. Bar Sto barrel should be coming soon :-)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Forget the Python. Value is not there any more. You can buy three to five great revolvers for the same price.

$600-$800 can get you a 66 or 27 in excellent condition. I own a 4" 66. Will never sell it. The 27 is even better. I would rather have a 27 than a Python.

Another great one if you can find it in nice shape is a Ruger Security Six. I bought a blued one two weeks ago that's been shot once (literally one round) in like-new condition for $450.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    This is my no dash 686 I got last January for $629. I just changed the grips with Ahrends retro combat. This has a very nice, smooth trigger and is scary accurate.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You can get a Model 28 for a decent price and they are nice revolvers. They are basically a Model 27 with a downgraded frosted finish but otherwise every bit as good as the 27. I had two and hoth were very accurate. I just wasn't into large frame 357's.

I do like the underlug barreled 29's. they shoot well in fast DA fire with medium heavy and lighter loads. Heavy loads aren't bad. A good 586 or 686 would one well also.

I've got a couple of 19-4s, one a 6", the other a 4" with all options. Sweet guns, especially the 4", which has the best trigger I've ever shot on a revolver. I prefer K-frame to Ns like the 27 and 28; they're easier to shoot with my smallish hands. I don't know when the next Chantilly show is, but I usually see some nice old Smiths for not totally unreasonable prices down there.

I take it you've decided not to apply for a license post-Oct. 1.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I would try looking for a model 28(the working mans 27). 27 are nice but you will pay for them.

Another good pick would be a model 66.

lastly the model 15 is a good classic.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I've got a couple of 19-4s, one a 6", the other a 4" with all options. Sweet guns, especially the 4", which has the best trigger I've ever shot on a revolver. I prefer K-frame to Ns like the 27 and 28; they're easier to shoot with my smallish hands. I don't know when the next Chantilly show is, but I usually see some nice old Smiths for not totally unreasonable prices down there.

I take it you've decided not to apply for a license post-Oct. 1.

Yup.........hate to let o-slimey win but I can focus on other things and have plenty of toys for now. Just topping off the "tank"

Good thought on a 28, hadnt really thought of that.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    S&W Registered Magnum; failing that, a pre-Model 27. I'm partial to the 3.5" barrel, but YMMV.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    As an owner of several of the guns you mention, I would strongly recommend a model 27-2 (pinned barrel, recessed cylinder) with a six inch barrel for the following reasons:

1. The six inch is fairly common, and can be had for your price. Probably for
    less. Other barrel lengths (5", 3.5" for example ) command much higher
    prices.

2. A pinned and recessed revolver comes from an era when S&W quality was
    still very high, and they paid attention to details.

3. The model 27 is built like a tank and will handle all types of ammo without
    any problems.

4. Your grandchildren will shoot it and pass it on.

A model 28 may also be of interest to you, being a plain jane model 27, it has the same quality as the 27 without the fancier cosmetics, and can be had for even less. Arguments can easily be made for 19/66 or the "L" frames, and you won't go wrong with any of them. I like each one for different reasons. Just thought I'd offer my two cents. Good luck.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks guys. What are the big differences between the 27 and 28.

A 6" barrel is fine in this case as noted i am looking for something a little vintage but not huge in paying premiums for obscure features (at least on this purchase). And budget is a factor, like most of us I went a little hog wild to date and hope to be able to sneak in one last purchase. Fortunately I have a releasing dealer!

Also how significant is the difference between new and old smith really? Incase I need to get something quicker (have seen a few new models on dealer shelves lately).

My model 10 snubbie made in 1986 seems to be very high quality. But it was a military export contract gun (dont know if there were any differences).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom