• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    I currently have a Daniel Defence Light railed handguard on my BCM 16" AR and while I like the sturdiness and overall feel I am just wondering what others think about these setups. My last "AR type" rifle was an M16a2 from Uncle Sam but thats been near 20 years ago and we never had all this high-speed stuff like is used today. Do you think the $300+ pricetag on these setups is worth it and why?

I'm in the process of building a second AR and plan to have one per family member for recreational/preparedness purposes.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The whole reason for floating the barrel is for a repeatable point of impact that is independent of rest pressure and sling pressure. While the railed forends are quite trendy, and no true operator would ever be seen without one, their utility is not really in line with their price tag - JMHO. If you're not after accuracy and don't need a few yards of rail to mount a light or other accessories, there are better ways to dump cash.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Check out the Troy V-tac
    4691390679_ddf58a05e9_b.jpg

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    One of the things I like about a quad-rail FF guard is you can mount stuff anywhere you want. For instance, I installed a front mount point for a sling on the rail where I wanted it, and if I take the gun out for some run-and-gun, I can put a VFG or AFG on it and place it where it's comfortable to me. Plus, I've had issues with the plastic hand guards with heat dissipation. With my SPR's rail system, that's not an issue. Plus I can add rail covers and have a "camo" effect on it. But to the OPs question, when the barrel's only contact with the receiver is at the receiver, and not the receiver and the front of the handguard, there's less variance shot to shot as you put a lot of rounds down range, and if you mount a sling or bipod, it won't affect POI.

Jim

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I've gone from M4 plastic handguards, to YHM non-float rails, to Samson float rails, and back to Troy non-float. The only reason I see to go float is for recce or spr-type accuracy. The newer non-float rails with locking screws feel just as solid to me as the float rails. There is a big difference in feeling between the YHM and Troy non-float rails because the Troy screws together as a rock-solid as can be. I only went "float" because the YHM rails rattled and were easy to torque right off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom