• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Sadly, my friend, America is no longer the Wild West. We now have laws. I am a citizen of this country and am subject to its laws, as interpreted by the courts. I have studied the constitution for a long time and simply cannot find a provision that guarantees my right to own a plastic accessory or remote control. If you know of that provision, I would be very happy if you could identify it for me.

The problem in this country - and the reason for my tongue in cheek inbred comment - is that there are people driving on the gravel right median of the road and then there are people driving on the gravel left median of the road, and only a few of us want to drive within the white lines. The effect of that is that very few people want to conversate and negotiate. Everyone else wants to duel to the death. Thus, no progress can be had.

To everyone, I say good night and Godspeed.

Negotiate?

You negotiate your rights away and fvcking leave mine alone

Shall not infringe, do you understand those words??

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    This is where logic goes off the rail. Whether I think that I should be allowed to own something has no relevance to whether the government is legally entitled to restrict my ownership.

One of the things that feeds anti-gun nuts is the gun enthusiast’s blind devotion to “Murica!”

We have no constitutional right to own a piece of plastic that itself is not a “firearm”. You can sit back in your La-Z-Boy while watching Live PD and pontificate to the contrary, but the fact is that we don’t.

Wow.... just wow. Private property rights are one of the pillars of our Constitution and our Republic. You DO absolutely have a right to own "a piece of plastic", just the same as if it were the Lazboy you were sitting in, your automobile, or your home. Just because the Constitution doesn't explicitly spell out "bump stocks" doesn't mean that you don't have the right to them. LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Left side right side of road analogy, one fails to recall that the roads in this state may have been illegally gerrymandered (SCOTUS case?).

If this ban is against something protected by the Constitution: Is there a vehicle which will prevent a citizen from being prosecuted by such a ban or are citizens to argue this from behind bars. If these laws can be passed and their legitimacy only be clarified several years down the road (Courts) then I can almost predict a new law banning scopes, a new law banning mags able to feed more than 1 (one) round faster than a human hand may, another law banning ... the list is long. Just a thought since this is MD.

Abulg, you have a right to your opinions, my thoughts after reading your posts is that you have come up with the alternate universe definition for the saying "If there is no law against it ... it is legal" and also relates everything the human race does to the drivers license scheme, being a privilege only! I am sending in an opinion letter to the ATF today for my remote. At this point I would say I hope you got your sleep but I imagine you sleep quite soundly.

This thread has, I believe, given much ammunition to the left side of the road drivers. Also I must say that one does not need a bump stock (or belt loop) to reach an impressive rate of fire, only dexterity and some practice .... and lots of ammo! lol.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Negotiate?

You negotiate your rights away and fvcking leave mine alone

Shall not infringe, do you understand those words??

I do understand those words. And I also understand that those words apply only to firearms, and not plastic attachments. That, my friend, is what you and many others fail to comprehend and allow to cloud your thoughts and actions.

Many MDS members know me personally. I am staunch proponent and advocate of the 2A, but I am no idiot. I have had to fight for my 2A rights tooth and nail. I had to spend thousands of dollars to do so. My experience with this particular sub-forum, and with issues like this in particular, is that people on both sides of the aisle are not willing to engage in any rational, reasoned discussions. I have said for many, many years that until BOTH sides are willing to come together and engage in a rational dialogue, we are all just pissing in the wind and, indeed, we on the right should not give an inch.

The reality, which many of you do not care to acknowledge, is that the government does indeed have the right to prohibit the ownership of bump stocks and rotary triggers and any other attachments. I find it disconcerting that people who support our rights don’t understand that fact, because it clouds the issues that are important to us. I also get frustrated with the reaction that anyone here gets when they assert anything other than the party line - that this is Murica and by God o should be able to own and use whatever I want. As much as I would love to be able to own whatever I want, I live in a country of laws and that’s just not reality.

Ask MSI and its attorneys why the complaint does not assert that the right to own a bump stock is not constitutionally protected. I’ll tell spoil the surprise and answer the question - because you have no right to own one.

I wholeheartedly support MSI and this suit, and I wholeheartedly abhor our liberal idiots who refuse to acknowledge our constitution when they enact laws that take property without compensating us. That’s for the record.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Wow.... just wow. Private property rights are one of the pillars of our Constitution and our Republic. You DO absolutely have a right to own "a piece of plastic", just the same as if it were the Lazboy you were sitting in, your automobile, or your home. Just because the Constitution doesn't explicitly spell out "bump stocks" doesn't mean that you don't have the right to them. LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.

This illustrates exactly my frustration. You know what else is one of the pillars of our Constitution? That the government can take our personal property for public use.

Get educated. Understand what’s at stake. Understand the law. Then post.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Uncalled for, IMHO.

Carry on.

K.

You know what’s uncalled for in this sub-forum? When someone takes an unpopular position, whether informed or not, they are called Brian Frosh, or unpatriotic or a traitor, or otherwise maligned, or a communist, or whatever else. There can be reason and rationality in debates. Apparently, however, those frequently get lost here.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Abulg,

It sounds like you hope that the case goes forward, but trying to be a realist. I have an issue that we are turned into criminals overnight because we cannot comply with the existing law. How is that fair?

Q

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This illustrates exactly my frustration. You know what else is one of the pillars of our Constitution? That the government can take our personal property for public use.

Get educated. Understand what’s at stake. Understand the law. Then post.

The government is taking bump stocks for public use? For the Brown Shirts program?

If that is seriously the best you have, then you need to go back to law school, councilor. The government can't willy nilly take property. There needs to be a compelling public interest. It is not taken lightly. Just taking stuff is not one of the "pillars of our Constitution".

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The government is taking bump stocks for public use? For the Brown Shirts program?

If that is seriously the best you have, then you need to go back to law school, councilor. The government can't willy nilly take property. There needs to be a compelling public interest. It is not taken lightly. Just taking stuff is not one of the "pillars of our Constitution".

Yes. If you aren’t willing to educate yourself about the relevant jurisprudence, then please don’t comment. As a starting point, I refer you to MSI’s complaint, which fully explains what it means to take private property for public use.

And, the government can indeed willy-nilly take private property. They just have to pay to exercise that right ... There does not need to be a compelling state interest.

Stay woke

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes. If you aren’t willing to educate yourself about the relevant jurisprudence, then please don’t comment. As a starting point, I refer you to MSI’s complaint, which fully explains what it means to take private property for public use.

And, it’s “counselor”.

And, the government can indeed willy-nilly take private property. They just have to pay to exercise that right ...

Stay woke
    I can't tell if it's your fresh breath or winning personality.....

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Abulg,

It sounds like you hope that the case goes forward, but trying to be a realist. I have an issue that we are turned into criminals overnight because we cannot comply with the existing law. How is that fair?

Q

I share your issue, but the reality is that the government has a right to prohibit the ownership of bump stocks. However, if it wants to do so, it must compensate those whose property to be taken. My issue with this law is that the idiots in charge failed to comprehend that fact and failed to provide for just compensation. It is for that reason that I hope we prevail. But, let’s be honest - a win will most likely only delay the inevitable. The GA will come back next year with a new bill that provides for compensation. This law is much like O’Malley’s bull crap assault weapons ban. It all feels good.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Obviously you are not one to hide your gleeful “regulator” impulses under a bushel basket.

If it is your wish for all “dumb” things to get regulated, so what? I mean, what’s your point?

You want 2A accessories to be subject to “modernity” regulations.

You are just another Situational Relativist. Congrats. Now go enjoy your Tofu chicken because KFC is murder...

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    K.

You know what’s uncalled for in this sub-forum? When someone takes an unpopular position, whether informed or not, they are called Brian Frosh, or unpatriotic or a traitor, or otherwise maligned, or a communist, or whatever else. There can be reason and rationality in debates. Apparently, however, those frequently get lost here.

I think you you find that I have called you none of those things.... I disagree profoundly with your opinion, but I don't believe that I've been uncivil.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I don’t waste time or lose sleep over uneducamated people that want to “conversate and negotiate” my fundamental enumerated rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom