• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I saw this guy out there. The Western Rattlers might still be out and about when you are hunting.

Oh, and if you get over to Craig, CO, they have the creepiest Ronald McDonald ever,. He's carved from a tree trunk.
    a4c9f4e3fdbb08933218b5e9bdf22248.jpg
    1b2949b4280365dd4ba6037916bf9b78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wow i can't wait to get out there, thx for all the pics! sure would be nice to see some elk in those hills though...

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    leaving in one week!! should be there (nw colo) ~5-7 before season starts (oct 13) to do some real actual scouting.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    My wife's friend just sent pictures of a GIANT bull elk they shot this week. Is the Colorado season open already?

Now I really want to get out there. Maybe someone wants to team up next fall?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    My wife's friend just sent pictures of a GIANT bull elk they shot this week. Is the Colorado season open already?

Now I really want to get out there. Maybe someone wants to team up next fall?

Did they go with an outfitter? When I went in 2006 we went with an outfitter and we were hunting on their leased land before the season opened up.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Did they go with an outfitter? When I went in 2006 we went with an outfitter and we were hunting on their leased land before the season opened up.

Not sure, but I'll ask. This bull's rack was ridiculous. I just want to bring back 200 pounds of elk meat.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Not sure, but I'll ask. This bull's rack was ridiculous. I just want to bring back 200 pounds of elk meat.

I think the program that the outfitter participated in was called "ranching for wildlife" or something like that? He explained it all out to us but I don't remember it.

I just remember the next day was opening day for the season and we came down the mountain past a bunch of people with my buddies bull in the back of the truck. I never saw so many excited people in one place. It was ike young kids seeing Santa at the mall.

My buddy knocked down a bruiser on the last day, damn near the last hour. He dwarfed mine.

I'd love to get back out there again, don't know if it'll ever happen though.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I think the program that the outfitter participated in was called "ranching for wildlife" or something like that? He explained it all out to us but I don't remember it.

I just remember the next day was opening day for the season and we came down the mountain past a bunch of people with my buddies bull in the back of the truck. I never saw so many excited people in one place. It was ike young kids seeing Santa at the mall.

My buddy knocked down a bruiser on the last day, damn near the last hour. He dwarfed mine.

I'd love to get back out there again, don't know if it'll ever happen though.

If you do, lets make it a road trip. The wife just told me to go for it. The nonresident elk tag is $661!!!! That elk meat might be $20 per pound by the end...

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If you do, lets make it a road trip. The wife just told me to go for it. The nonresident elk tag is $661!!!! That elk meat might be $20 per pound by the end...

It very well could be. But, it's sooooo good!!!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It very well could be. But, it's sooooo good!!!!

Yeah it likely isn’t going to be cheap. I started getting in to guns because I started hunting a few years ago. If I want to consider my gun and ammo purchases, hunting equipment, license, etc. as all costs towards the meat than I am probably on for $40-80 a pound.

But I don’t. These days even lumping in just hunting gear and licenses and occasional hotel stays (plus butcher fees) I am probably averaging under $15 a pound. Which is cheaper than venison from the store. And getting cheaper as there finally isn’t really any more hunting gear I need or want to buy.

Ignoring the cost of the trip to Alaska or the charter fee, the halibut I caught ended up at about $18 a pound for the processor and mailing it back to Maryland. My father-in-law paid for the charter boat trip. I am sure once you included that cost it was more like $35-40 a pound.

Can’t include the trip to Alaska itself as we did a lot more. But if you did, several hundred dollars a pound...

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Yeah it likely isn’t going to be cheap. I started getting in to guns because I started hunting a few years ago. If I want to consider my gun and ammo purchases, hunting equipment, license, etc. as all costs towards the meat than I am probably on for $40-80 a pound.

But I don’t. These days even lumping in just hunting gear and licenses and occasional hotel stays (plus butcher fees) I am probably averaging under $15 a pound. Which is cheaper than venison from the store. And getting cheaper as there finally isn’t really any more hunting gear I need or want to buy.

Ignoring the cost of the trip to Alaska or the charter fee, the halibut I caught ended up at about $18 a pound for the processor and mailing it back to Maryland. My father-in-law paid for the charter boat trip. I am sure once you included that cost it was more like $35-40 a pound.

Can’t include the trip to Alaska itself as we did a lot more. But if you did, several hundred dollars a pound...

I don't remember what the total cost was for my elk trip but it was worth every penny.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    i have a muley tag out west this year. i went scouting a couple weeks ago.

saw a bull elk bedded under a bush, and a bunch of muley's down near a creek, all does. also a few lopes.

boss/this years hunting partner, went last weekend. he saw a bull elk in one place and a buck muley in another.

gonna double check my sighting @ 200 y this weekend, on both rifles and be ready for oct 5!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    got out here (nw colo) thur nite. scouted some yesterday and today. unfortunately a lotta rain and rain predicted for the next 5+ days. my great luck, seems their long term drought ends with a bang once i show up.

had a super scary moment. took a 'dirt' road off a paved one, got in a few hundred yards said that was enough (steep and super sloppy not to mention off camber). backed down super slow but with the sideways-sloped road i slid left and the front left wheel was pretty much off the road and being sucked down the embankment. shored it up a little with some rocks, and let half the air out of my rear tires. i just about peed my pants but successfully got it back down. these roads turn to serious crap real fast! saw an incredible mulie, and later on 5+ nice bull elk together, of course on private land, lotsa turkey also. but with the rain is a lot of fog and poor visibility so scouting hasn't gone real well.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    got out here (nw colo) thur nite. scouted some yesterday and today. unfortunately a lotta rain and rain predicted for the next 5+ days. my great luck, seems their long term drought ends with a bang once i show up.

had a super scary moment. took a 'dirt' road off a paved one, got in a few hundred yards said that was enough (steep and super sloppy not to mention off camber). backed down super slow but with the sideways-sloped road i slid left and the front left wheel was pretty much off the road and being sucked down the embankment. shored it up a little with some rocks, and let half the air out of my rear tires. i just about peed my pants but successfully got it back down. these roads turn to serious crap real fast! saw an incredible mulie, and later on 5+ nice bull elk together, of course on private land, lotsa turkey also. but with the rain is a lot of fog and poor visibility so scouting hasn't gone real well.

Saw your post on Rokslide also. Stay safe and have fun! Hope you kill one and report back - some of us are living vicariously through you and we need the motivation to get there next year!

Best of Luck!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Saw your post on Rokslide also. Stay safe and have fun! Hope you kill one and report back - some of us are living vicariously through you and we need the motivation to get there next year!

Best of Luck!

thanks! we actually just stayed in town (rifle, colo) today. pretty rainy and the mtns are all fogged over. tomorrow looks good so will check out another spot deep in the backcountry. then rain (and prob fog) again wed and thur. fri looks good so one last scouting chance before opening day on saturday. next week looks clear but chilly, which is better than rain and fog.

T48

Mar 5, 2018
    Anne Arundel Co.
    White River National forrest is not far from the town of Rifle. Have your maps locate watering holes and be prepared get into the areas that hard to access.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    White River National forrest is not far from the town of Rifle. Have your maps locate watering holes and be prepared get into the areas that hard to access.

that forest is actually east of my tag (which is bounded by white river on the north, rt 13 on the east, utah on the west, and either colo river or i70 on the south. because of the drought, white river was recommended and i did drive back and forth on it, but very disappointed with lack of public access. it's like 99% private on both sides and where it does have public access, mostly straight up and down mtns on both sides. i did find two spots that look decent along rt 64 near the river. just wondering how many vehicles and atv's i will see at those spots come opening day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom