Do you purposefully buy .223 or 5.56 for AR? Whatever is cheapest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you buy .223 or 5.56 for your AR?

Votes: 10 11.4%

Votes: 24 27.3%
    • Whatever is cheapest

Votes: 54 61.4%

• Total voters

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    5.56 M193 for general range purposes 62 grain Federal Fusion SP for trunk gun and 40 grain V-Max for HD.
    I get a rough zero with 193 and then finish sighting in with da good stuff so I'm not just making noise with expensive ammo.

Theoretically a 5.56 has a higher velocity than .223 for the same bullet, so should be above fragmentation velocities for longer distances?

M855 only reliably fragments to 175 yards with a 20" barrel and 193 to 200ish yards. As I've said before though, unless you're .mil or LE and forced to use ball ammo for duty why not go with the good stuff?

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    The big difference between 5.56 and .223 is their chamber pressures are measured differently.To try and compare them is like comparing apples and oranges. Many .223 ammo, now-a-days can have as high a velocity(read chamber pressure) as 5.56 NATO. Wasn't always the case, but it is now. As clandestine said, there are a lot of 5.56 chambers that are not. And, there a lot of .223 chambers that are not. If your rifle has a really short leade, you may experience a boost in chamber pressure, including popped primers and the like. Rarely would such a situation result in a catastrophic situation, as far as the AR 15 is concerned. There seem to be too many variables to make 'blanket statements' between the two rounds.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The big difference between 5.56 and .223 is their chamber pressures are measured differently.To try and compare them is like comparing apples and oranges. Many .223 ammo, now-a-days can have as high a velocity(read chamber pressure) as 5.56 NATO. Wasn't always the case, but it is now. As clandestine said, there are a lot of 5.56 chambers that are not. And, there a lot of .223 chambers that are not. If your rifle has a really short leade, you may experience a boost in chamber pressure, including popped primers and the like. Rarely would such a situation result in a catastrophic situation, as far as the AR 15 is concerned. There seem to be too many variables to make 'blanket statements' between the two rounds.

:party29:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This. Maybe I don't explain myself well. but then I just returned from Hopkins after 8 days of heart failure and Kidney damage. I might have piss buildup in my brain.
    Wow, glad you made it through this. Hope you're on the mend.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I generally buy 223, unless I am planning on converting LC brass to 300BLK. That also makes it easier when I reload just the 223 cases for my precision rifle.

But then again, I am a fan of M855/SS109...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    This is so true. A lesson we all have learned in SOTAR. That fancy high dollar 5.56 barrel you bought isn't necessarily a 5.56 chamber with a 5.56 leade you were expecting.

I have never shot steel cases, and barring a war, I never will because I reload all my brass.

I have shot steel cased ammo out of a Bushmaster. That did not end the way I wanted it to. For some reason the Bushmaster does not like steel cased ammo, but other AR's will eat it up. I really have no idea why that is. :shrug:

cb1980

Jul 25, 2016
    mostly buy .223 remington or american eagle brass, I have picked up some 5.56 but at the local shops I buy from I rarely see 5.56 available

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    5.56 M193 for general range purposes 62 grain Federal Fusion SP for trunk gun and 40 grain V-Max for HD. I get a rough zero with 193 and then finish sighting in with da good stuff so I'm not just making noise with expensive ammo. M855 only reliably fragments to 175 yards with a 20" barrel and 193 to 200ish yards. As I've said before though, unless you're .mil or LE and forced to use ball ammo for duty why not go with the good stuff?

Civvies can load hollow point, V-max and several other projectiles with more stopping power than 193/855.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Civvies can load hollow point, V-max and several other projectiles with more stopping power than 193/855.

Poisonous mushrooms.

Mushrooms.jpg

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    If it's just for training/plinking/teaching newbies, I shoot .223.

But 5.56 isn't that much more expensive (if at all) so I'll grab 5.56 to have on hand too, just for the extra velocity.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I try to buy 5.56 as my guns have quality barrels (RRA/Spikes/Colt) chambered in 5.56. But if the price is right 223 it is. Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom