• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Can anyone recommend a reasonable NFA lawyer in Maryland? I would like to set up a trust..

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    You really don't need to pay a lawyer to set up a NFA trust.

You can find any number of quality trust documents online for well under $200.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    Thanks

Thanks for the help.
    While the online may be cheaper, I worry about something that I could miss.
    I have been saved in the past by an astute lawyer who covered all my bases. I would hate to find out the hard way that I omitted something or made an error in a trust.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It may help to know where you live in Maryland. There are 2 very differing views on this subject. A "do it yourself" type of trust and then the custom trust put together by a qualified lawyer. If you want to go with a lawyer, it would probably be better to find one in your area. There's usually no need to go outside your local area to find a competent lawyer.

Good Luck!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What benefit does meeting with a lawyer to do the trust have over buying a cheapie online one have?

They should know MD law and make sure the trust meets all the quirks of MD law.

This might be important if MD law was not so clearly written that any idiot could understand EVERY part of the law. :D

Your choice.

But the cost of the trust is a VERY small part of what you will spend WITH the trust.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    What benefit does meeting with a lawyer to do the trust have over buying a cheapie online one have?

Three benefits (presuming the attorney's not a total rogue): 1) you can ask questions and receive answers; 2) misunderstandings are less likely when meeting in person; and 3) you then know an attorney (and he knows you!) you can ring if you're ever read your rights resulting from a defensive use of your firearm (take a bunch of his business cards and put them in your wallet, gun cases, glove box, etc.). This latter benefit is worth the price alone and something I always recommend students (or anyone) do before buying their first firearm.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    what some lawyers charge to do these is ridiculous considering how little time it takes them to do.

I don't know how much time was spent on paperwork after our meeting ended (clearly, by the size and breadth of the trust, an hour or two at the very least!), but I spent a good two hours with Britt and Nate (the attorneys that drew-up the trust) and got to ask questions 'til I had none left. That along with the peace of mind knowing I had a knowledgeable, competent and experienced attorney standing behind the trust was well worth the price of admission. Other opinions may vary.

Nodak Kid

Jun 30, 2013
    USA
    I don't know how much time was spent on paperwork after our meeting ended (clearly, by the size and breadth of the trust, an hour or two at the very least!), but I spent a good two hours with Britt and Nate (the attorneys that drew-up the trust) and got to ask questions 'til I had none left. That along with the peace of mind knowing I had a knowledgeable, competent and experienced attorney standing behind the trust was well worth the price of admission. Other opinions may vary.

Spot on:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom