• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I have been going round and round as to how to store and secure my firearms. I have a gun cabinet that is full and guns stashed everywhere throughout the house with trigger locks on them, but its getting a little out of hand. Talking with the wife I have 2 options realistically. Put a safe in one of the hall closets or get a reinforced door for the closet and use the whole closet.
    I have measured and I can get a standard 24 gun safe in the closet. My issue with doing this is it limits my space I have to work with.
    I really like the idea of getting a reinforced door with a bolt lock. I'm honestly just looking for something to keep the kids out of and a better storage option. In my search I am having problems finding a door that matches the rest of the doors in the house.

Looking for options here to solve my storage problems.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Know where I can find a decent door that can come close to matching my other doors?

I'm curious what you end up doing with yours. A heavier door, without reinforcing the frame around the door, is almost pointless. I would have needed a better door, and to reinforce the frame and the wall in the back of my closet since it could be accessible through another room.

I went through this for my closet but ended up just putting on a keypad lock on the door. I also put a safe inside the closet for the more expensive toys but I keep a few things quickly accessible on the closet walls. When I leave the door is shut...if I'm home it is open. My lock is just to keep kids out.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    If you are not going for fire protection, you could re-enforce the existing door by attaching 1" plywood on the inside of the door, and install a dead bolt ( I would put a dead bolt on both sides handle and hinge so the door can't be readily lifted off the hinges). I would also attach 1" plywood all around the inside of the closet to make it harder for someone just to push through the drywall.

There are also safe that you put together yourself, just do a search on "safes".

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Why get a reinforced door? There are just two layers of drywall on the sides which is just as (in)secure as an interior door. Just put a keylock knob on the existing door.

FWIW, For an outswing door like a closet, you have to do something to protect the hinges else the hingepins can easily be taken out and the door opened from the hinge side and the bolt slid out of the frame. We did this once as a kid :innocent0

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Good point, hinge pins have to be on the inside of closet, or you can easily punch hinge pins up and out unless you buy special hinges (do they exist?).

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    Know where I can find a decent door that can come close to matching my other doors?

you may have to get a flat door and then glue the outer veneer of your current hollow closet door if you want an exact match, depending on how common your interior doors are.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    The reinforced door was just a thought but the more I think about it figure it's a meaningless step. I'm not worried about break in's or fire. Just storage and keeping the kids out. I'm out of room, no organization. Pretty sure I've lost more parts out of parts kit than you'd ever know.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    The door is only as strong as the frame. I honestly would just change the knob on the door and go with it. If your only worried about keeping kids out that's the cheapest and easiest option. Any one who were to break in is just going to break the glass on your cabinet anyhow. My stuff is in the bedroom closet at least the unloaded guns. The loaded Glock is much closer at hand. If you just use the closet itself you can always build racks to keep everything and use the space completely.

wrc

unexpected T_STRING in
    May 31, 2012
    AACO
    Google "modular safes". Snapsafe/Titan is one manufacturer. Zanotti Armor is another, which I have had good experiences with. These are "safes" that come in pieces, assembled with something like 3/8" hardened steel pegs. If you can find one that will fit in the closet, but not through the closet door, you can assemble it inside the closet. This is surprisingly secure when installed in a closet, even though they're 10 or 11ga steel. When anchored to the floor, and too large to get out of the closet door, they make it a much longer and louder task for a thief to get purchase on the vulnerable bits.

Add a knob lock to the closet door, and no one will accidentally find out you even have a safe/RSC/whatever. Keep ammunition, holsters, and other accessories in the dead space not occupied by the safe. If you install an engine compartment fire suppression system to the closet, you've got short-term fire protection.

This won't be as secure as a straight-up TL-15 safe, but it will be concealed. Sometimes concealment is a better strategy.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I won't give too many details, but I friend of mine has a 4 sided block room with a concrete ceiling that just happened to end up that way (happy construction accident I guess). He had a custom solid iron jail door custom welded in place. Outside of that is a standard wall with a panel door. It's kind of a neat little room. Makes a great safe, but so much for fire protection however. I'd love to plan that into a basement some day, except with a vault door instead.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom