• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    I recently got the itch to get a rifle for plinking and have been looking into a few rifles mainly the S&W 15-22 because I hear great things about it, however I am on a tight budget currently an 500+ is out of the question. What other .22 rifles are out there that are inexpensive and fun to shoot? I'm thinking Ruger 10/22 but am clueless at this point, any help is appreciated.

Thanks

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Rem 597 and Marlins are amazing values and some of the best shooters out of the box. The 10-22 can turn into anything you can imagine when funds allow. They are better than Barbies er GI Joes.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Semi-auto, bolt, lever action?

For a semi, I like the 10-22 and Marlin 60. The Marlin is tube fed, the 10-22 uses detachable mags.

For levers, the Marlin 39A is the industry standard, Henry produces at least two more.

For bolts, I like the Savage Mark II series.

All of those guns have LONG track records of happy users.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's impossible to go wrong with a 10/22.

IMO however, try not to spend too much on modifying one down the line if you're on a budget. They're only $200-$250 and are excellent for what they are out of the box.

PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    I think I'm going to look into a Ruger 10/22 it seems to be a good value for the money, what kind of range would it have and what mods would you recommend? I like a challenge and that's why I want a .22 rifle for 100 yard target shooting. Also I want semiauto and mag fed.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I think I'm going to look into a Ruger 10/22 it seems to be a good value for the money, what kind of range would it have and what mods would you recommend? I like a challenge and that's why I want a .22 rifle for 100 yard target shooting. Also I want semiauto and mag fed.

Still needs a Tac Sol barrel

Attachments

• tmp_pimptastic 10-22-627077539.jpg
      tmp_pimptastic 10-22-627077539.jpg
      71.1 KB · Views: 607

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    As far as semi-autos go, the Ruger 10/22 would be my first choice. I have two. The one I just bought has never jammed once out of about 1000 rounds. I did buy a Marlin model 60 last year (stainless) and really like that too. I actually like the "feel" of the Marlin a little better. The only problem was some jamming until I got about 700 rounds through it. I lubricate it with dry graphite lube so that it doesn't collect powder, etc., and use quality ammo.

A bolt action has no jamming issues and will shoot many different types of .22rounds where a semi-auto may not. Sometimes standard or sub-sonic ammo wont work the action on a semi-auto. My son has the Marlin XT-22 bolt action. Nice rifle.

PIRANHA

Greek Redneck
    Sep 22, 2013
    Essex, Maryland
    Still needs a Tac Sol barrel

What is done to that 10/22 and what is the base model? I looked on rivers site and there are a number of 10/22 models. I don't know what to look into in the 10/22, are they all the same and just different colors? Or am I missing something?

Udon

Dec 2, 2012
    Columbia
    Semi-auto, bolt, lever action?

For a semi, I like the 10-22 and Marlin 60. The Marlin is tube fed, the 10-22 uses detachable mags.

For levers, the Marlin 39A is the industry standard, Henry produces at least two more.

For bolts, I like the Savage Mark II series.

All of those guns have LONG track records of happy users.

Totally Agree in this list and also Marlin 795. Henry Lever Action is awesome.

For really Budget, Marlin 60 or Marlin 795 can't go wrong. Both can get for less than $150 and can out shoot anything in it class out of the box without Mod.

My first rifle is Marlin 795 and I still have it and now got new stock.

DSC03284.JPG

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    Since you asked for opinions:

Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 60 are classic choices, especially if you want a semi auto.

Marlin 60 is tube fed. If you want something similar, but with a box magazine rather than a tube, there's the Marlin 795.

Alternatives to the Ruger 10/22 is a 10/22 with mods. There are no end to the aftermarket mods for the 10/22.

Remington 597's are a roll of the dice. Some people love theirs and say they've had zero problems. Others call theirs a jam-o-matic. Very affordable, though, and if they work I hear they are very accurate. Make sure you buy with a good return policy, just in case.

If you aren't hard set on a semi auto, I suggest a lever action, either a Henry or Marlin. Lever actions are far more fun than you expect them to be. The Marlin 39a is super solid. Low end Henrys are less expensive and shoot fine. (LOVE mine.) But they don't feel as rock solid as the marlin. (I can't speak about the higher end Henrys. It's a good company so I'd almost assume they are fine.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom