Correct process for buying/selling non-regulated?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsj1231

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2013
    Harford County
    I've never purchased or sold a non-regulated firearm from person to person before and would like to know the procedure that should be followed?
    I've purchased from Dicks and Walmart but obviously that's a little different than a private sale.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    I think the short answer is that you're free to buy & sell non-regulated guns/rifles, shotguns, muzzle loaders, etc., as you wish.

I thought it might be helpful to find backup info for this, and here's what I've found...

Here's a link to an NRA-ILA information web page that may help: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/maryland.aspx

The relevant part of the page is: "Maryland does not regulate the sale of rifles or shotguns and no permit is required to purchase a rifle or shotgun. "

However, I was not able to find anything about non-regulated guns in the COMAR. The COMAR does address regulated firearms here: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/subtitle_chapters/29_Chapters.aspx#Subtitle03

If anyone knows of other places in the COMAR that address non-regulated firearms, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

ksy95

Mar 11, 2013
    Non regulated firearms are cash and carry. You just need to make sure that you are selling to a MD resident and he/she is age of majority.

jiffer

Mar 20, 2012
    So if I bought a used HBAR in 2012 do I need to do anything now, post October?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You can not knowingly sell to such a person. Standard MDS procedure is bill of sale with DL#.
    Right, but without the ability to do a background check, the onus is not on the seller to make sure that the buyer is legit, other than being a MD resident of legal age to own a gun. You can ask the question, "are you a convicted felon?" but once that's done, a person can say that they didn't knowingly sell to a person who is not legally able to own a gun. I'd definitely want the DL# for anyone I sold to though.

Private sales, due to their unregulated nature, are kind of interesting because it kind of falls under that old saying that "it's only illegal if you get caught." I'm not saying that I'd knowingly engage in any such activity - to me the risk is far greater than the reward - but it would be absolute folly to think that illegal interstate private sales don't happen all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom