s.JPG

Spit On Hands, Slit Throats
    ...IN HOWARD COUNTY...

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    While I think a preacher sanctimonious bumper sticker is in poor taste, and I can't comment on the anti-2A origins of it, I don't have a problem with the list. Most of it just tells people not be act like *ssholes to other people.

Here's the list rewritten (it's still saying the same thing). It's called the:

The "Don't be a DUCK" list (replace "Duck" with whatever insult you want)
    1. Don't waste people's time
    2. Don't ignore people/give the silent treatment
    3. Be an optimist
    4. Give people a chance to make their case; you can see where they (or you) are not getting the point
    5. Don't shun people
    6. Be polite
    7. Don't curse or act rude to other people
    8. Don't act disingenuous by avoiding due praise; give praise where it's deserved (in and out of church)
    9. No means no / don't be a rapist
    10. Realize that you can't change some people's opinions, even if they're stupid
    11. Don't act like a bull in a china shop
    12. Don't act like an *ss
    13. Shut up, you don't need to talk 24/7
    14. Don't waste people's time
    15. Back up - this is America and you can't stand 1" away from my face when you're talking to me
    16. Don't give half-*ssed apologies
    17. Don't let other people push you around
    18. Stop trying to get into other people's business
    19. Be a good host
    20. Don't take advantage of your host
    21. Don't ask people for things you can do yourself
    22. Stop whining
    23. Don't just b*tch, explain what's wrong so they can fix it
    24. Respect the environment, be a responsible hunter and prevent the animals from undue suffering
    25. Man up and accept responsibility for yourself and acknowledge any blame when you screwed up.

Nothing really wrong with anything listed, just simple rules of etiquette.

thats a good list without sounding hoity toity

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Weren't these same people using civil disobedience to obtain power just a short time ago?

captain-kate

BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2012
    Hollywood, MD
    can someone enlighten me as to what the choose civility movement is about?

I believe it has to do with people getting into name-calling an such when in disagreement with someone else's point-of-view. Read some of the blogs sometimes on CNN and elsewhere - even on this forum. Some people can't argue a point or disagree without slinging insults. For example, I'm sure someone is going to accuse me of being a "libtard" or something like that due to my response - yet I am not a Democrat (nor Republican), but a middle-of-the-road centrist who hates both parties equally. It is one thing to have strong beliefs about an issue - we all do and have our own pet belief(s) - gun control/abortion/religion/gay rights, etc. But when you cannot defend those beliefs with intelligent and logical conversation and simply revert to rhetoric, mudslinging and name calling, you have lost the argument.

Anyway, that is my own personal take particular take on what I think that statement is trying to convey.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    thats a good list without sounding hoity toity

Thanks

sorta sounds like desiderata

desiderata - by max ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Great read - thanks.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    The 25 Rules of Considerate Conduct
    1. Pay attention (Situational awareness is good.)
    2. Acknowledge others (Like when slicing the pie. Again, situational awareness is good.)
    3. Think the best (Educate yourself. This is a basic life lesson.)
    4. Listen (Or you'll never know what others are thinking and who not to speak around.)
    5. Be inclusive (Shooting alone is fun but tell me it isn't more fun with friends.)
    6. Speak kindly (Common courtesy.)
    7. Don’t speak ill (See #6 above.)
    8. Accept and give praise (Where it is due, sure.)
    9. Respect even a subtle “no” (This is for all of your rapists out there.)
    10. Respect others’ opinions (After all, they're not fact or truths.)
    11. Mind your body (Fitness is important. Running and gunning means... running.)
    12. Be agreeable (Who can't agree with respecting the inalienable rights of others?)
    13. Keep it down (and rediscover silence). (Buy a suppressor. You can't ever grow your hearing back.)
    14. Respect other people’s time (Don't hog the lanes at the range.)
    15. Respect other people’s space (Don't hog other people's lanes at the range.)
    16. Apologize earnestly and thoughtfully (If you're wrong, admit it. Life lesson here.)
    17. Assert yourself (With force as necessary.)
    18. Avoid personal questions (Because getting to know your neighbor is scary.)
    19. Care for your guests (Or they won't come back. Common sense here.)
    20. Be a considerate guest (Or you won't be invited back. Common sense here too.)
    21. Think twice before asking for favors (Because there's no such thing as a free lunch. Life lesson.)
    22. Refrain from idle complaints (Stop complaining and DO something.)
    23. Give constructive criticism (That means have suggestions for what people can DO to make something better. Life lesson.)
    24. Respect the environment and be gentle to animals (Learn to shoot a deer properly or don't take the shot.)
    25. Don’t shift responsibility and blame. (Man up. Take responsibility for your own actions. Life lesson.)
    From Choosing Civility. Copyright © 2002 P. M. Forni.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I believe it has to do with people getting into name-calling an such when in disagreement with someone else's point-of-view. Read some of the blogs sometimes on CNN and elsewhere - even on this forum.

Bah, that's nothing. Before Al Jazeera anglicized their website, (on the same day that they went on US TV) the comments section was some of my favorite reading. The name calling, bile, demonizing, racist and misogynistic comments were a riot. Those people know how to insult!

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    That's a nice enough list, and some good advice. (Except #12 - I'll be agreeable when you say something I agree with, and not one minute before :D)

So why is it so obvious that the point of the whole thing is to get people to roll over and let their "betters" tell them what to do?

Actually, the better question is, how do we get this crap to go back to Moco/Hoco where it came from?

Marksman

The 25 Rules of Considerate Conduct
    1. Pay attention
    2. Acknowledge others
    3. Think the best
    4. Listen
    5. Be inclusive
    6. Speak kindly
    7. Don’t speak ill
    8. Accept and give praise
    9. Respect even a subtle “no”
    10. Respect others’ opinions
    11. Mind your body
    12. Be agreeable
    13. Keep it down (and rediscover silence)
    14. Respect other people’s time
    15. Respect other people’s space
    16. Apologize earnestly and thoughtfully
    17. Assert yourself
    18. Avoid personal questions
    19. Care for your guests
    20. Be a considerate guest
    21. Think twice before asking for favors
    22. Refrain from idle complaints
    23. Give constructive criticism
    24. Respect the environment and be gentle to animals
    25. Don’t shift responsibility and blame
    From Choosing Civility. Copyright © 2002 P. M. Forni. (St. Martin’s Press, 2002

Unless it pertains to the U.S. Constitution, particularly the 2nd Amendment.

CLee

Mar 31, 2013
    Pax River area
    This civility nonsense was flying around my office maybe 2 years ago. The office is in Columbia. I wonder if Howard County where this stuff started. I thought I had a much better life style slogan, but most seemed to think it was not acceptable: "Don't be a d1ck"

That's been one of our family mottos for about 30 years now. LOL

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205