• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I'm going to shoot on Thursday. If it works we'll start an email chain and you're all welcome to pass it around - Erma owners' Karma.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Brought mine home today with these other guys

Attachments

• IMG_0988.JPG
      IMG_0988.JPG
      128 KB · Views: 243

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Sorry guys, life interfered here.
    CCI Mini Mag are 100% functional now!
    Remember I changed my magazine spring too, smoothed the internal surfaces, and lubed with MC 2500 oil, which is pretty slick stuff. YMMV.
    I'll give the Federals, plain lead w/wax, and Remington copper washed a try Monday. If the regular slow stuff works, then it's 100%. If they don't. well at least the Mini Mags can be shot without jams and FTE.

I can Priority Mail the reamer to you guys up near Baltimore.
    Post here a "Next!" and establish the order. Then PM me so I can post a list.
    First user PMs me an address or convenient exchange place/time.
    Each member requests an address or meeting with the next guy.
    Condition is:
    You use a cutting oil, Do Drill, Tap Magic, honing oil etc. Just a good cutting oil.
    You clean it and oil it before you give it to the next member. on the list in a Daisy Chain.

D

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Sorry guys, life interfered here.
    CCI Mini Mag are 100% functional now!
    Remember I changed my magazine spring too, smoothed the internal surfaces, and lubed with MC 2500 oil, which is pretty slick stuff. YMMV.
    I'll give the Federals, plain lead w/wax, and Remington copper washed a try Monday. If the regular slow stuff works, then it's 100%. If they don't. well at least the Mini Mags can be shot without jams and FTE.

I can Priority Mail the reamer to you guys up near Baltimore.
    Post here a "Next!" and establish the order. Then PM me so I can post a list.
    First user PMs me an address or convenient exchange place/time.
    Each member requests an address or meeting with the next guy.
    Condition is:
    You use a cutting oil, Do Drill, Tap Magic, honing oil etc. Just a good cutting oil.
    You clean it and oil it before you give it to the next member. on the list in a Daisy Chain.

D

How bad it is to take down the erma and do the ream? I heard bad things about taking them apart

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I havent had mine out yet, i was just dont it dont work when i bought it. But i did try loading a round into it earlier and it crushed the nose of the round on one side. So i guess i can assume i will have to do the same to mine. If someone wants to go first thats Ok and will give me time to live fire before hand but I will throw my Name in the hat Now to use it. Thank you K-43

Next....

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I havent had mine out yet, i was just dont it dont work when i bought it. But i did try loading a round into it earlier and it crushed the nose of the round on one side. So i guess i can assume i will have to do the same to mine. If someone wants to go first thats Ok and will give me time to live fire before hand but I will throw my Name in the hat Now to use it. Thank you K-43

Next....

Melnic seems most interested. So if you want to be 2nd, we'll make him first if he chimes in.

To get the thing apart is actually pretty easy, it's just not so easy to line things up going back together. I can do it in a minute, but I've done it many times.
    The only tool you need is a drift/punch and screw driver if you are removing the grips.
    Push the upper forward and remove the locking block at the front of the frame.
    Push the pin at the rear toggle out. Hold it so the springs decompress slowly and don't shoot out the back.
    He're a tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jki9JEnV0UI

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Melnic seems most interested. So if you want to be 2nd, we'll make him first if he chimes in.

To get the thing apart is actually pretty easy, it's just not so easy to line things up going back together. I can do it in a minute, but I've done it many times.
    The only tool you need is a drift/punch and screw driver if you are removing the grips.
    Push the upper forward and remove the locking block at the front of the frame.
    Push the pin at the rear toggle out. Hold it so the springs decompress slowly and don't shoot out the back.
    He're a tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jki9JEnV0UI

Sounds good. Happy to be second in line. That will give me time to play with it and see what it does before reaming chamber.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I will PM you my address. I work close to Olcarjunkie so I can drop it off if he wants it next
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Received the reamer from K-43 (thanks!) this week and had the time this afternoon to properly use it taking my time.
    Did not take long and I took before and after video showing how the round would not drop in easily before and how easy it dropped in afterwards.
    Difference is night and day. I could see how the reamer also took some off the Inner Diameter near the breech. the waxy automatch had previously had resistance to even initially dropping in, now it just goes in under gravity. Won't be able to try it out until Monday.

OldCarJunkie, did you get a chance to shoot yours?

EDIT: Oh yea, at the York show today a guy had a LA-22 with the box priced for over $500 HAHAHA

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Received the reamer from K-43 (thanks!) this week and had the time this afternoon to properly use it taking my time.
    Did not take long and I took before and after video showing how the round would not drop in easily before and how easy it dropped in afterwards.
    Difference is night and day. I could see how the reamer also took some off the Inner Diameter near the breech. the waxy automatch had previously had resistance to even initially dropping in, now it just goes in under gravity. Won't be able to try it out until Monday.

OldCarJunkie, did you get a chance to shoot yours?

EDIT: Oh yea, at the York show today a guy had a LA-22 with the box priced for over $500 HAHAHA

I seen one there myself, it was in the box and was 550 ! Ouch. I didnt get a chance to get to the range yet but i would prob just do it any way as it seems to be a issue with these and since when i dropped in a round and closed the chamber it seemed to smash one side of the round nose. That said I would love to go next and can meet you most days after work or you could drop off there and they would give it to me when i return off route. they have been working us like dogs lately so been back around dinner time most days.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Much IMPROVED!

Previously, the Luger needed HV ammo just to push the bolt back enough to slam the rounds shut. Even then many rounds would not insert all the way. I had that happen to me zero times in about 100+ rounds I shot this morning. Initially, I did have some feed issues. CCI 40 grain would get the nose stuck up about 1/3 of the time. Thinking the feed lips were holding onto the bullet too long not allowing the rim to pop up soon enough, I opened up the front of the feed lips just a SMIDGE. Sure enough, problems went away. I did get a few ejection failures but all tolerable for a 50 year old 22 Pistol. Unless I used HV ammo, the last round bolt open did not function telling me that there is still an issue to be resolved. Possibly too much friction or the spring is to heavy maybe. I will start with smoothing up the bolt surfaces where it travels. I did that some on the bolt already, but not the frame. Will work on the frame.

It shot everything here in the photo. Having it shoot the Federal Automatch is pretty much enough to stop right there. Previously, it had lots of trouble shoving the automatch all the way in.

I however will keep going.

Attachments

• IMG_5907.jpg
      IMG_5907.jpg
      70.9 KB · Views: 199

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Great!
    Maybe the recoil spring is a tad too strong. I don't know where to get something with a lower rate that would fit though.

Take your time using the reamer, It's not like I have a stack of 22s to chamber.
    Anyone else following this thread that wants to use it is welcome to. Just post "Me Too!" or PM me.
    D

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Much IMPROVED!

Previously, the Luger needed HV ammo just to push the bolt back enough to slam the rounds shut. Even then many rounds would not insert all the way. I had that happen to me zero times in about 100+ rounds I shot this morning. Initially, I did have some feed issues. CCI 40 grain would get the nose stuck up about 1/3 of the time. Thinking the feed lips were holding onto the bullet too long not allowing the rim to pop up soon enough, I opened up the front of the feed lips just a SMIDGE. Sure enough, problems went away. I did get a few ejection failures but all tolerable for a 50 year old 22 Pistol. Unless I used HV ammo, the last round bolt open did not function telling me that there is still an issue to be resolved. Possibly too much friction or the spring is to heavy maybe. I will start with smoothing up the bolt surfaces where it travels. I did that some on the bolt already, but not the frame. Will work on the frame.

It shot everything here in the photo. Having it shoot the Federal Automatch is pretty much enough to stop right there. Previously, it had lots of trouble shoving the automatch all the way in.

I however will keep going.

:party29: Nice !

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Melnic dropped off the tool to me today and i by pure luck(I soo needed it) got off early today so i ran by the range and shot the Erma to see what it does before reaming the chamber. I had many failure to feed and double feeds as as it got dirty it became worse. I brought it home and cleaned it up, then used the Reamer from K-43. Huge Improvement ! I took the gun apart and dropped a round in and it only went half way on its own. After reaming the chamber it dropped straight in with no issues. :party29: Tool was then Cleaned and is ready for who ever needs it next or back to K-43. Thank you guys again !

Attachments

• 20180227_174722.jpg
      20180227_174722.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 198
    • 20180227_175713.jpg
      20180227_175713.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 175
    • 20180227_175923.jpg
      20180227_175923.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 201

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Awesome.

So with the double feeds, the spent round did not pull out and a new round was jamming onto it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom