• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    20 hours in a sous vide is too long. The meat starts to get mealy at that length. I'd say 15 hours max. I try to stay around 8 to 12.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    20 hours in a sous vide is too long. The meat starts to get mealy at that length. I'd say 15 hours max. I try to stay around 8 to 12.

Yes, for the roasts out of the hind 1/4, but for a good size front shoulder roast i’ve done 20-24 hours and it was as tender as a filet mignon, not mealy at all.

Time and temp definitely have an effect on the texture. There is so much good info online available, it’s worth searching out charts to help plan your cook. You can always add time if you want. I did some venison and beef roasts for an afternoon bd party once that got changed to the evening. Had started them the night before, and just added a few extra hours sous vide before smoking them for 5 hours. Had planned for 12 SV hours, they got about 16. The meat was firm enough to be sliced, but could be pulled apart with a fork, and were probably the best I’ve done, flavor and texture.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Something new for me. Amazon had the instapot on sale for prime day. So I picked one up. Another game changer. First day I used it to sauté onions, peppers, and mushrooms, then added brown rice and broth. High pressure for 12 minutes, done. Not the typical 45-55 minutes.

So last night I got a 2.5lb beef roast, browned it on all sides, then a little salt and pepper on it, and in with 2 cups of chicken broth (had a big one open from the rice), a half bottle of red wine, a carrot, celery stalk, 1/4 onion, bay leaf, fresh rosemary and thyme sprigs, and high pressure for 50 minutes. Then took the meat out to rest, and filled the pot up with more carrots, onion, celery, small potatoes, and a parsnip, then 10 minutes of high pressure. Then strained the juice and added some flour, fresh ground hot pepper flakes, Dash, and mushroom powder to reduce and thicken it for gravy. Pretty easy, and the meat and veggies came out fantastic. With only a few minutes of prep and finish time on each end of the process. Will definitely be doing this with a venison roast in the near future. Roast from start to finish, including cleanup was under 1.5 hours. With 50 minutes of that watching that abomination of a football game last night.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I have a big long carving knife and once in a while lay one on a cutting board and slice 3/8" of the board and roll it out flat. Roll it back up like jelly roll or cordon blue and toothpick it to keep the cheese from running out. The whole show here. Fill it with your favorite stuff, ham, cheese and cover with rub.

Set a temp probe and cook to an IT or 135 - 140 depending on your doneness.

img_1098.jpg

img_1099-e1536323573240.jpg

img_1101.jpg

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    The grilling takes care of the second sear. I have done a second sear on roasts that I have done sous vide for long cooks of 20-24 hours, and not grilled or smoked after. Rolled in butter and oil pan searing, or brushed on and broiled to get it nice on the outside.

130F is a pretty common temp for venison roast. 135 if you like it medium. Temp has a big effect on texture. Especially with fish and seafood. Lobster tails you will see at 130-135, but I prefer the texture that 145-150 results in.

It sounds like extra work, but not really. The prep and finish work are pretty easy, and not very time consuming.
    The first "sear" is really just browning the meat, like you'd do for stew meat, since the meat is going to continue cooking in its own juices in the sous vide tub.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    The first "sear" is really just browning the meat, like you'd do for stew meat, since the meat is going to continue cooking in its own juices in the sous vide tub.

Yes. And you always want to deglaze the pan with a little wine or broth and add that in. Unless you really burnt the crap out of it. I use a flat wooden spoon to scrape all those tasty brown bits up. If doing a second sear then that becomes part of the gravy.

R Talbot

Jun 24, 2018
    Crock pot it!
    No matter the meat or the cut, a crock pot always keeps meat tender, plus there's less risk of over cooking it...
    Add carrots, onions, mushrooms, or anything else desirable

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom