• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Got my M1A loaded today and installed Sallak scope mount. Love it.

Just curious...................

Why do you have an 'extra' mount between the Sadlak Industries mount and the scope rings???????

Another way to put it............
    Did you get a Building Permit for that high-rise scope??????

IF you remove that mid-mount, you can/will get that scope closer to the bore/bore line of the rifle.

Medium height rings work really well on that Sadlak Ind. mount, with a 40mm bell(ed) scope.

Again, just curious.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I'm trying to figure out whats different with my rifle vs one .30. What I found out so far is that the expansion chamber is bored to a deeper depth than what the spec my text describes. At first I thought it would have been the number of annular grooves or the distance the gas port is located and (cut off) to rectify the pressures generated by commercially loaded ammo or powders commonly associated with hand rolled ammo in 6.5 to prevent action/ op rod battering. Is this even a concern being that a gas cut off system is in play?
    What I didn't do was was remove the spindle valve or have numbered lettered drills available to determine barrel gas port diameter or the correct gauge to check gas port alignment to verify anything going on there.
    The gas piston exterior measures up the same for a 30 cal rifle with the exception of the depth of the expansion area. If I let it build up with carbon will it subsequently affect impingement until the point of possible damage, I don't know maybe someone in the know can provide some feedback. User manual only indicates the recommendation of factory loaded cartridges and of course the avoidance of hand loaded ammo. (its all 30 cal literature) No recommendations have been provided for the selection of ammo with the included manufacturer guidelines if its even relevant.
    The other thing I didn't get to was to measure the op rod guide to check against the specs I had in front me. could be there's a little more support in there as well, need to check it out when I have more time and that would even swap to another rifle if exterior profile allows.
    My thinking is that if the gas piston in my rifle would be installed in a 30 cal rifle the resulting energy wouldn't operate the action efficiently. It reminds me of a Garand gear plug only allowing for the opportunity to increase the volume of the system except there is an exceptional amount of extra volume with the addition of one those. You can see it right off.
    Or, none of this really matters and I'm just overthinking it and.... the barrel has v type threads and I just don't know it until I want to make it 30 cal one day.
    The depth of the expansion cavity on my cylinder is 1.542 to where my caliper bottoms out at the concave surface at the bottom of the bore, could be some additional room in there like its bored a little deeper I didn't go any further, long day, my text indicates 1.525 + .015 for depth on other parts already commonly in use.
    I have nothing else to compare it too at the moment. Everything else is the same with the exception of the bore and the barrel profile up to the front band. Same mag and just a number of cast components used to dress the rifle.
    Bottom line for me, shoots good digging it (wish it was .30) but certainly a step in the right direction to avoiding the victim culture that's been bestowed on us.
    Hope to hear what others have been able to learn.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    Just curious...................

Why do you have an 'extra' mount between the Sadlak Industries mount and the scope rings???????

Another way to put it............
    Did you get a Building Permit for that high-rise scope??????

IF you remove that mid-mount, you can/will get that scope closer to the bore/bore line of the rifle.

Medium height rings work really well on that Sadlak Ind. mount, with a 40mm bell(ed) scope.

Again, just curious.

Yuk Yuk! 1st off it isn't an extra mount and they are not rings! It is a KDG QD Sidlok mount. Should really know what you're talking about before posting some smart ass question. I just put that on there until I order a new set up. Just sayin

Attachments

• 20170216_231059_001.jpg
      20170216_231059_001.jpg
      62.1 KB · Views: 166
    • 20180327_173638.jpg
      20180327_173638.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 158

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Yuk Yuk! 1st off it isn't an extra mount and they are not rings! It is a KDG QD Sidlok mount. Should really know what you're talking about before posting some smart ass question. I just put that on there until I order a new set up. Just sayin

First of all............ not intended to be a "smart ass question".

With the darkness of the photo (can barely see details) I was curious as to why the scope was so high.

Second, I do know what I'm talking about. That scope is awfully high.

You don't have to worry about any further interaction or questions from me.

Have a nice life.

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    First of all............ not intended to be a "smart ass question".

With the darkness of the photo (can barely see details) I was curious as to why the scope was so high.

Second, I do know what I'm talking about. That scope is awfully high.

You don't have to worry about any further interaction or questions from me.

Have a nice life.

So you don't consider this "Another way to put it............Did you get a Building Permit for that high-rise scope??????" a smart ass question? Good to know, won't lose any sleep.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Because a .300BO AR isn’t really an AR-15. Nor is a 5.7 AR. And a 9MM AR certainly isn’t. The lower is different on a couple of those and for the .300BO, the barrel can physically interchange, but they still don’t function the same.

A 6.5 or 6.8 AR really isn’t because you have different bolt heads and magazines too.

MSP, who I assume ask either AG questions or have regulatory staff who are supposed to be skilled in interpreting MD laws say if it is a different caliber, it’s okay. There have been no letters sent out to FFLs saying they are doing something wrong. FFLs who’s business and freedom are on the line are selling them. Heck, MSP has started to issue approvals to AK-74 “copies”.

Just saying.

(I guess with the M1a, despite the marketing MSP interpreted the ban as only covering 7.62 versions as at the time of the ban and earlier restriction, the M1a was only a 7.62 rifle).

It may matter for me some day, but at least right now all my ARs except my pistol wear heavy barrels cause that’s how I roll. I wish there wasn’t the stupid ban, because I would love to build an ultralight AR-15 in 14.5 pinned configuration, but frankly my 16” minimalist with HBAR barrel and red dot tips the scales at 6lbs 9-10oz with sling, unloaded. That’s not as light as my M1 carbine, but it is still pretty dang light and handy. If I really care to shed more weight I could probably pick up a fluted HBAR Barrel for it to shed another 4-5oz and a titanium comp.

AG letter specifies what makes a copy. It doesn't have to be an AR, it can be banned as a copy.

If you swap the barrels between an AR in 5.56 and .300 BO, they both still function (with the proper ammo).

Now, under the AG letter, the 6.5 or 6.7 would not be a copy, as you have to change two parts to make it work. Barrel and bolt.

But also, the MSP list is NOT LEGALLY BINDING. If you buy something that list says is not banned, you could still be doing something illegal. The page even states it is not legally binding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom