• ...and so much more!
  • DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Well, lucky for you, MDS has a resident Geographer on staff. :D

Here let me "splain it to you"

Contour lines show the height above sea level, also known as "Elevation".

The first picture shows the river not to far from it's origin. Notice the elevation is roughly "2400".

Now take a look at the second picture, where the river is close to where it enters the lake in PA. The elevation is roughly 1500. That is a 900 foot drop. That is why it runs "north".
    Great 'splaination'! I just came back from outdoor school with son FiveOSix's class and one instructor explained similar, but this elevation map rocks it!

Thanks for posting it up.

DadOSix

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 25, 2013
    Allegany Co.
    Funny u mention that, my inlaws have a house in the little village on the power plant road. I've got stuck guite a few times on other side when power plant was generating, sucks having to trek above the plant to cross. Have caught lots of fish outta there and Hoyes run.

That is a nice little section of homes there. We rented the blue one and it was just right. One neighbor has a bunch of no tresspassing signs posted. I wondered if that was a trouble area since it was posted as such.

Nice area!

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    That is a nice little section of homes there. We rented the blue one and it was just right. One neighbor has a bunch of no tresspassing signs posted. I wondered if that was a trouble area since it was posted as such.

Nice area!

Got ya, that house is 2nd one up from my in laws. My father in laws dad was one of the original hydro plant workers. The private property markers are probably to keep the guy across the road that is running the bread and breakfast off. He has a habit of cutting across people's property to get river access. He's a strange character.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    If I had to guess I'd say 90% of Garrett county is west of the continental divide and flows that way, but I'm guessing but I'm probably close. And please don't mention the flush tax, definately a sore subject around these parts. :mad54:

Probably closer to 60-70%

Reason you guys get hit with the flush tax as well is that your entire southern border and the Savage and everything east are the Potomac watershed. The Yough and Casselman are the only non-bay watersheds and you'd be surprised at just how close they are to the divide. You can throw a rock from the SE side of Deep Creek Lake and just about hit the Potomac drainage.

That's the Potomac watershed up there. You can see it does in fact cover a good bit of Garrett.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Probably closer to 60-70%

Reason you guys get hit with the flush tax as well is that your entire southern border and the Savage and everything east are the Potomac watershed. The Yough and Casselman are the only non-bay watersheds and you'd be surprised at just how close they are to the divide. You can throw a rock from the SE side of Deep Creek Lake and just about hit the Potomac drainage.

That's the Potomac watershed up there. You can see it does in fact cover a good bit of Garrett.
    The reason we get the flush tax is that's how Maryland rolls, and I'm quite familiar with the lay of the land out this way thank you.:rolleyes:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Flush tax also irritates the people in the north east corner of the state that is in the Delaware watershed. My runoff ends up in the Delaware Bay.

Now if they could tax the people in Pennsylvania and New York who pollute the Chesapeake Bay we could cut MD taxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom