• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    OP could still buy a non-banned long gun here in MD since only a NICS check is done for it. but if you've got an option to move out of this state, by all means get the &#$% out!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    While this sucks and is ********, Gtfo of MD. Thank you for your service to the greatest nation on Earth!

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Hi,

Just recently tried to purchase a hand gun and was denied due to an assault that happened over 11 years ago when I was still a juvenile. I had no idea that this was still on my record and thought that this was sealed after I turned 21. I'm now a 26 year old Veteran with 6 years Active Duty and an Honorable Discharge. During my time in the Army I've never had this issue come up.

When I spoke with MSP about this issue they told me that Maryland holds juvenile offenses against you until your 30 if they are classified as a disqualifying crime (in my case assault). Do I even have any options at this point? Will this follow me even if I move to another state? I'm planning on enrolling in a university in VA and I'll be living down there this coming fall. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks

[/FONT]

How did you attempt to buy a handgun without an HQL? And I am assuming you don't have one because of your disqualifying criminal history.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    that's frustrating especially after serving in the military which will make you exempt from obtaining marylands hql.only curious how recent did you attempt on the purchase/

serving in the military doesn't make you exempt from obtaining an HQL unless you retire.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Get a lawyer!

Also, it sounds like a good news story. You get into a fight when you're 15. Go off to war for 6 years (you served, didn't you?), you are honorably discharged, and now you are denied purchasing a handgun to use for sport shooting.

Where's the "Thank you for service to your country" in that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are truly able to possess a handgun and your childhood record is the only thing holding you back, then I agree with the above.

Get an attorney and make some noise.

Thank you for your service.

Good luck.

BIGCHRISS197

Jul 4, 2013
    I had an incident when I was 16 and was charged as an adult but had the case moved to the juvenile system midway through the process. Because the initial charges occurred in the adult system I was able to have it exponged which in turn exponged my juvenile record. My understanding is if the case occurred in the juvenile system you can only have the case sealed which anyone performing a background check would have to get a judge to sign off on opening. You may need to have it sealed. IANAL

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The big question is wether or not the juvinile record was reported by the OP on the 77R. ( OP , don't incriminate yourself on a public forum - consult lawyer if needed regard perjury charges ).

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I had an incident when I was 16 and was charged as an adult but had the case moved to the juvenile system midway through the process. Because the initial charges occurred in the adult system I was able to have it exponged which in turn exponged my juvenile record. My understanding is if the case occurred in the juvenile system you can only have the case sealed which anyone performing a background check would have to get a judge to sign off on opening. You may need to have it sealed. IANAL

Any time you've been charged with a crime it can be found by law enforcement, it just MAY not be available for public record example Maryland Case Search ect. There will always be a record somewhere.

renchr01

Apr 23, 2012
    basically same problem

When I applied for my first handgun, I was denied as well. They told me that a flag was thrown for a cocaine charge with no disposition. So I was denied. I never had a cocaine charge. The cop put it on my ticket and when I went to court for mariguana, the judge threw the cocaine charge out and the clerk of court put in as being charged. I had to get a lawyer involved to clear the matter up. you know how hard it is to find anything from way back in the 80's ie before computers. Luckily the judges work sheet was there. So what I'm trying to say is get a lawyer it helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom