• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Well, after spending this entire morning finishing up my trust at almost the zero hour, it looks like I will be getting it notarized tomorrow morning and applying for my three SBR stamps tomorrow.

Thing is, I have no idea what combination of stock and barrel to use for these rifles, much less what barrel length is optimal for these rifles.

I will most likely use a Magpul stock on these rifles, and it appears as though the Magpul MOE SL-K carbine stock is the shortest of the group when collapsed and when extended. As soon as I am done with this post, I am going to create a spreadsheet for LOP for the Magpul stocks when collapsed and when extended.

My thinking is that I would rather reduce stock length than barrel length, especially if a specific round needs the barrel length to help with velocity. I'd like others view point on this line of thinking. Am I out in left field or outer space?

Next, what is the optimal barrel length for the cartridges I am going to use:

.223 Wylde
    .300 BLK'
    .458 SOCOM

Lastly, what is the minimum barrel length I need with the Magpul MOE SL-K carbine stock, assuming I am not pinning any comps or flash hiders to the barrel?

Thanks in advance, and much appreciated.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    This discussion covers a lot of the information you're looking for.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=185187

Optimal length for 5.56 with a varbine gas system is 10.5"
    For 300BLK is 8.5" with pistol length gas.
    .458 :shrug:

I just did a form 1 for a .22lr just so I could do one with a OAL of 22".
    Good luck

Take a look at what just got posted in the classifieds.

You can buy these parts before your form 1 comes back as long as you have a place to use them that is not a rifle lower. ie you have a pistol or stripped lower they can be used on.

A lot of guys build a pistol while waiting on thier form 1. Then just switch the buffer tubes when thier form comes back.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    8.5" is a no go in MD so you will need a minimum 10" to meet 29" OAL.

In the discussion thread that was linked, it seems as though 8.5" is doable with the right stock. With that said, I am probably going to go with the shortest Magpul stock possible and a 10" barrel in the .300 BLK and a 12" barrel in the .458 SOCOM and .223 Wylde. Still debating everything though and trying to put the pieces in place, with an e-mail to my FFL buddy in a couple of minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom