• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yep. I know a lot of people with really expensive long range rigs that have never shot them past 200yards and wouldn't have the training to hit at long ranges if they tried.

And on the other hand, I know a few shooters that can take any deer rifle with a $200 scope and male 1000y hits all day

Training and practice is needed, and often times people are too overwhelmed by the costs of the gear to spend even more on the training

You got it, seen a few with just the basics nailing 1000yds like shooting 100yds then others couldn't hit the side of a barn standing next to it.
    Training, practice some don't have the "discipline" others you can not show them a thing. Or I spent this amount on glass, had a custom rifle built and don't know crap about mil, moa, dope , etc. then you talk about cost of good training and they choke on the price, time needed, you say b..u..t you spent this amount on your setup and they get pissed...
    Have been looking at a Ruger in 6.5CM throw a Vortex on it, and "wing it"
    get a whole rig cheaper than just an "action" anyway got way too many "projects" not completed

-Rock

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Or I spent this amount on glass, had a custom rifle built and don't know crap about mil, moa, dope , etc. then you talk about cost of good training and they choke on the price, time needed, you say b..u..t you spent this amount on your setup and they get pissed...
    Have been looking at a Ruger in 6.5CM throw a Vortex on it, and "wing it"
    get a whole rig cheaper than just an "action" anyway got way too many "projects" not completed

-Rock

You said it brother. Long range shooting is more about knowing how to make adjustments than having good gear.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I definitely prefer MIL/MIL. It's just weird to use MOA on the dial but just holdovers with MIL. I don't like having to think that much. It all boils down to whatever you're used to.

Don't count out a fixed power scope!

Fixed power scopes cost much less to manufacture than variable so you do get more for your money. If you are always going to shoot long range anyways, it makes sense.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    A buddy and myself took Ed Shell’s LR school last year. We both purchased Bushnell 12x FFP fixed scopes. They were right at $180. We both had stock Savage .308 rifles.

The scopes performed very well. At over 700yds we started getting mirage, and some whiteout, so they did kinda show their limitation at that point. They seemed to track well too.

However, we able to push through the limitations and were both hitting steel consistently at 1100, and I did at 1200 as well. The only reason he struggled at 1200 was because he ran out of elevation.

I’m not saying a cheap scope will come close to comparing to a proper long range, high dollar scope. It won’t. As always, marksmanship fundamentals are far more important that high speed, low drag gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom