• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Not too long ago I picked up one of the Traditions Kentucky Rifle DIY kits just for fun. On a snowy or rainy day when we Hooligans can't get to the range it's a project I can tend to a little at a time.

There are some other other threads regarding these kits. They're actually pretty easy to build. And there are plenty of YouTube videos on the process.

Now my disclaimer: I'll likely get "flamed" by Threeband, but that's OK. He knows I have and shoot some high quality stuff too. ;) :innocent0 https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=162972&highlight=Traditions+kentucky&page=2

Day One:

I finally opened the Kentucky Rifle package. After watching several YouTube videos I’m pretty comfortable. Lots of tricks to building these kits on the internet.

• First issue was the holes for the stock pins were too shallow. Not hard to drill them deeper with a 5/32” bit. The barrel fits the channel pretty well. I’ll get back to the channel after I get all the recesses cleaned up so the parts seat in them correctly.
    • I had to start by deepening the barrel tang recess with a Dremel. The tang screw mates with the trigger plate so I had to inlet the recess about 1/8”. There will be plenty of sanding and shaping ahead to blend the stock into the tang.
    • Rough fitting the lock was real interesting. It isn’t perfect and I’ll go at it differently next time. But it came out OK and it functions. Since this is meant to be a shooter and not a showpiece, function is what counts.
    • Fitting the trigger guard will be next. Then the barrel pins. But enough for today.

This is not the first project like this I've done. When the rifle is finished we'll try it out at a Hooligan shoot. It will be fun to have another "White Smoke Stick" at the range.

I'll try to post some progress updates. It's not a hard project if you take your time. If some of you learn a few tricks...great!

:)

Attachments

• Kit IMG_2402.jpg
      Kit IMG_2402.jpg
      84.7 KB · Views: 628
    • DSC09441 Stock Gap.jpg
      DSC09441 Stock Gap.jpg
      29 KB · Views: 625
    • DSC09442 Stock Gap Corrected.jpg
      DSC09442 Stock Gap Corrected.jpg
      26.1 KB · Views: 628
    • DSC09444 Barrel Tang.jpg
      DSC09444 Barrel Tang.jpg
      31 KB · Views: 631
    • DSC09447 Barrel Tang Rough Fit.jpg
      DSC09447 Barrel Tang Rough Fit.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 610
    • DSC09448 Trigger Fitted.jpg
      DSC09448 Trigger Fitted.jpg
      31.2 KB · Views: 634
    • DSC09449 Lock Recess.jpg
      DSC09449 Lock Recess.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 641
    • DSC09453 Lock Rough Fit.jpg
      DSC09453 Lock Rough Fit.jpg
      32.6 KB · Views: 636
    • DSC09454 Day 01.jpg
      DSC09454 Day 01.jpg
      25.9 KB · Views: 626

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This is really fun. Did a Lyman I got from Threeband a number of years back. There is always more wood you have to take down (I used wood rasps, then sandpaper).
    I did it over a long time, took my time and even draw filed the barrel to get rid of most all the billboarding. Just left the name and s#

Have you thought about how you are going to do the wood?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    This is really fun. Did a Lyman I got from Threeband a number of years back. There is always more wood you have to take down (I used wood rasps, then sandpaper).
    I did it over a long time, took my time and even draw filed the barrel to get rid of most all the billboarding. Just left the name and s#

Have you thought about how you are going to do the wood?

I agree kits like this are fun. I haven't decided on a finish for either the barrel or the stock. Either plum brown or blue for the metal and maybe a light brown with a hint of red for the furniture followed by a deep BLO scrub.

I'm wide open to suggestions.

:thumbsup:

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    30+ years ago I got a smoke pole kit under the Xmas tree, I think it is a Hawken. Was a fun project for me as a teen.
    I used Lin Speed oil on the stock, came out real nice.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Cool projects. I assembled a Lyman kit back in the '80s. Browning the barrel with Birchwood Casey Plumb Brown was the hardest part.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Project Update April 4, 2018 - Mating The Stock

Building this Kentucky BP Rifle from a kit is not a weekend project. But. with some experience and patience, it's not all that hard.
    Each part must work in concert with everything else for it to fire safely. And there's no hurry on my bench. :nono:

Here's "Progress Update 01" as of today:

Fitting the barrel to the stock isn't difficult. But,since it's a two-piece stock with a brass shim, getting a solid mating of the stock pieces is a challenge. No matter how many ways I've tried, the action's alignment would leave a tiny gap between the thin brass shim and stock halves. Not acceptable to me.

This issue isn't uncommon with these kits. Some folks have made thicker brass shims. Since I plan to make the stock one-piece and rigid, other options like replacing the brass shim with hardwood of the right thickness to mate the stock halves comes to mind.

Here's a pic of that challenge. I'm still considering next steps...

Now let's move on to other challenges...

:)

Attachments

• DSC09659 SNIP Stock Shim Gap 02.jpg
      DSC09659 SNIP Stock Shim Gap 02.jpg
      42.3 KB · Views: 221

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Project Update April 4, 2018 - Inletting The Lock

Making sure the lock works in unison with the trigger group requires fitting.

Using a Dremel tool I have this one functioning well.

One of the problems I've found is the lock screws (especially the rear one) are not a good design. The are both too log - especially after the stock is sanded to its final fit. When dry-fitting, the rear lock screw engages the lock plate underneath the hammer! If it's fully engaged it will offset the hammer and screw up alignment of the hammer to the stock and nipple.

Shortening the screw is the answer. I'll deal with that issue later...

:innocent0

Attachments

• DSC09661 SNIP - Lock Fitted - Closed.jpg
      DSC09661 SNIP - Lock Fitted - Closed.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 264
    • DSC09662 SNIP - Lock Fitted - Half Cock.jpg
      DSC09662 SNIP - Lock Fitted - Half Cock.jpg
      47.9 KB · Views: 221
    • DSC09665 SNIP.jpg
      DSC09665 SNIP.jpg
      40.7 KB · Views: 216
    • DSC09667 Lock Screws.jpg
      DSC09667 Lock Screws.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 213

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Project Update April 4, 2018 - Trigger Guard

One more update for tonight:

After all the other parts are pretty close to dry fitted, inletting the trigger guard is straight forward. It's position only mates with the butt stock and trigger, but having the other parts closely fitted first make sense.

You'll need a Dremel tool to ease the channel. It's not hard, but take your time! I roughed the fit tonight, but I'll use some red lipstick to check the fit and ease any high spots that I need to deal with tomorrow.

One Hooligan step at a time!

;)

Attachments

• DSC09655 SNIP - Trigger Guard Inlet.jpg
      DSC09655 SNIP - Trigger Guard Inlet.jpg
      37 KB · Views: 218
    • DSC09654 SNIP - Trigger Guard Fitting.jpg
      DSC09654 SNIP - Trigger Guard Fitting.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 220

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    now that would look cool how about a couple black walnut Dutchmen inlays in the stock simulating a repair . Sorry that's just the way my brain works love the old antique stuff furniture guns and cars

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom