• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yobrahh

Sep 14, 2016
    Maryland
    I've been looking around for the laws in regards to AR-Pistols In Maryland. Conclusion is: If I do my own 80% lower then I can do any sized barrel length as long as I do not have a stock or Vertical Grip.

I know AFG are fine. The buffer tube must be a pistol buffer tube.(Can not easily put on a stock).

Thinking a Thordsen Customs Cheek Rest. They are not classified as a stock but as a cheek rest. I like the look better than the brace or the shockwave blade.
    http://www.thordsencustoms.com/ar-ak-standard-pistol-cheek-rest-kit-w-mft-saddle-flat-dark-earth/

Quick Overview of other parts:
    Lower 80% (JMT polymer lower I've heard good things or non-polymer)
    Lower parts kits

Upper go with a already built 8.5 Inch (quad rail for all accessories including coffee cup holder)

Flash can of some sort on the front, probably a KAK

AFG, backup site, maybe red dot.

I know people mention suppressors for 300 blackout, but I know people who have 7-9inch barrels that shoot with and without no issues. Consider one maybe later down the line.

Thoughts? Opinions? If you hate Ar-pistols don't waste your time only looking for good feedback

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sounds good. Buffer can be any kind you want, even carbine type. As for suppressors, if you go shorter than 10", a lot of cans are not recommended so you'll have fewer cans to choose from.

yobrahh

Sep 14, 2016
    Maryland
    @outrider58 I just know most people have got standard spring and weight and haven't had any cycling issues. So the Kak flash can isn't a suppressor just to push the gas forward. I was recommended that instead of a stand a2 fh...or I can wear a gas mask haha. Thanks for the info about the suppressors though. I'll keep that in mind later down the line!

yobrahh

Sep 14, 2016
    Maryland
    @jimbobborg I don't think it will be over 26" from what I measured, but since it is lower still won't mess up anything with the law. No stamp or AOW here!
    I kinda like the AFG more, but if it is over the Vertical grip will happen. Thanks for the feedback

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Flash cans work like a champ. I used the STD (Simple Threaded Devices - Amazon has them) before I got a suppressor. Very nice for pushing the blast away.

As for the lower, sure you can do one from 80%. Or get a fresh, stripped lower through an FFL and use that. Either one is fine.

Nine inches is the sweet spot for 300 Blackout performance but eight will work okay, too. In 5.56, 10.5" is about as short as I'd go.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I have plenty of stripped lowers already ;D

What I should have said was "use a new lower; don't use a lower that's ever been part of a rifle" because that's NFA trouble.

Any fresh lower is fine.

yobrahh

Sep 14, 2016
    Maryland
    @dutchV I bought 3 after the first ban, when they said oh it's fine to buy lowers again, but they have to built into a HBAR or a pistol. Nothing has been put on them yet.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    @outrider58 I just know most people have got standard spring and weight and haven't had any cycling issues. So the Kak flash can isn't a suppressor just to push the gas forward. I was recommended that instead of a stand a2 fh...or I can wear a gas mask haha. Thanks for the info about the suppressors though. I'll keep that in mind later down the line!

No problem. I was referring to your last paragraph.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom