• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    So before I purchased an upper for my Anderson lower, I did tons of research. I knew I wanted to get one in 7.62x39 because I already had a VZ2008 and did not want to add a new caliber if I didn't have to. There were plenty of options out there, but Radical had an HBAR with a really nice hand guard. Not to mention, their lifetime warranty seemed great!

I saw a lot, I MEAN A LOT, of mixed reviews on Radical. Most of the poor reviews were from 3-4 years ago when Radical first started to come on the AR scene. As the reviews got more and more recent, it seemed to get better. Maybe they were fixing the issues that were causing complaints? I dug deeper, read more reviews, and watched tons of videos (both positive and negative comments).

I finally found the upper I wanted in stock. Atlantic Firearms down on the Eastern Shore, MD had it for $100 less than Radical's website!!!! ( http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-complete-upper-assembly-detail.html?Itemid=0 ) It was one of 3 left in stock and I decided to give it a go. Atlantic Firearms got it to me in 2 days with standard shipping fee ($15.00). Extra kudos for that!!!

I ordered an ASC 10-rd magazine (again, after much review). Apparently AR's in x39 have issues when it comes to the magazines feeding correctly. My magazine came in last Friday and yesterday I got out the range to sight it in.

I was sighting in a Vortex SPARC-II red dot at 25yds. I had Winchester White Box brass cartridges (~$0.90/round) and a mix of Wolf and Tula steel (~$0.24/round). I started with the Winchester. It fired flawlessly, but had issues ejecting the spent casing. The winchester case in just a hair longer than the Tula. I'm assuming that is the issue. I will look into that further. After 5 rounds of the same issue, I switched to the steel Tula. It fired and ejected with very minor issues. The only issue I had was one I was expecting. Cheaper steel ammo has harder primers and the simple fix is a $16 enhanced firing pin. Out of 200 Tula/Wolf rounds, only 6 rounds failed to fire due to light primer strikes. That's a 3% failure to fire. With those that did fire, I had 100% success eject/cycle. By the end of the afternoon, I was shooting 10-round groups inside an inch. Not too bad IMO.

In the end, I am very pleased with the Radical upper! The fit and finish is superb. It functions well. It may not cycle ammo that is almost $1.00/round, but loves to eat up ammo that is 1/4 of the price. I'll take that any day! I'm going to replace the firing pin and see if that fixes the light primer strikes.

So, this is my review of a Radical Firearms' upper in 7.62x39. If you have your own experience with one, please let me know your thoughts. If anyone has questions, ask away and I will try my best to answer them.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Any pictures of the upper and or the groups you shot? I was curious how there upper setup looked. Also did you upgrade the firing pin?

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Thanks for the overview. I was surprised by the % that failed to fire. Obviously higher than an AK, but we can't get those here anymore.

How would you rate this firearm against other non-ak 7.62 * 39 options. Would it be easier to just go SKS?

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    Any pictures of the upper and or the groups you shot? I was curious how there upper setup looked. Also did you upgrade the firing pin?

Pictures will come soon. I accidentally threw out some of my targets with the groups. I may have one. I do not have the firing pin yet, but I have ordered it.

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    Thanks for the overview. I was surprised by the % that failed to fire. Obviously higher than an AK, but we can't get those here anymore.

How would you rate this firearm against other non-ak 7.62 * 39 options. Would it be easier to just go SKS?

Believe it or not, that % failure is lower than others have had with other manufacturers' uppers.

As far as other 7.62x39 options, I love my VZ2008!!! That would be my top choice, but they are harder to find and more expensive than a SKS. SKS is definitely a good option. They are fun to shoot and much easier to find.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pictures will come soon. I accidentally threw out some of my targets with the groups. I may have one. I do not have the firing pin yet, but I have ordered it.

The firing pin will fix your issue for sure. I have several 7.62x39 ARs and that was the fix for the hard primers.

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    The firing pin will fix your issue for sure. I have several 7.62x39 ARs and that was the fix for the hard primers.

Also, what magazines do you have/have you tried? Which has been most reliable for you? Capacity? I've heard certain capacity can also make a difference.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Bought my extended firing pins from Red X arms Bought a few extra just in case. but no issues so far. no problems with D and H tactical even on a full auto lower Also haven't had any issues with the ASC mags either.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a radical firearms upper with a casson engineering bolt, extended firing pin and a WMD NiB bolt carrier. I use c-products defense gen 3 7.62x39 AR mags. I have not had a single issue with my set up. It runs like a sewing machine. Yeah I paid a good amount by for the bolt and bolt carrier but it was worth in to make the rifle more reliable.

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    I have a radical firearms upper with a casson engineering bolt, extended firing pin and a WMD NiB bolt carrier. I use c-products defense gen 3 7.62x39 AR mags. I have not had a single issue with my set up. It runs like a sewing machine. Yeah I paid a good amount by for the bolt and bolt carrier but it was worth in to make the rifle more reliable.

Thanks! Since the upper came complete, I'm hoping the BCG is designed for it, so I hope I won't need to worry about reliability in that area.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Thanks! Since the upper came complete, I'm hoping the BCG is designed for it, so I hope I won't need to worry about reliability in that area.

You should be fine. I just chose to get mine without BCG because in doing research on 7.62x39 ARs I found most of the bolts were 5.56 bolts they thinned out the lugs to accommodate the larger round and some people were having lugs snap off the bolt.

Sorry if my terminology is wrong .

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/MustangSteveGT/IMG_1886_zpsa103bdce.jpg

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I don't have a Radical, But purchased an AR in 7.62x39 and have the ASC Mags in 30 rd and 10rd...had a few feed issues, so I ran it with 25 rds in the 30 had no issues with TULA, WOLF, Golden Tiger...No Brass as of yet, plan on getting some PPU brass ammo...next time around...but I think it is the Magazines that cause all the issues...looking at some C Products Magazines next...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

You mind sharing links for the above. Just curious what the bolt face will look like (and if at least the bolt and firing pin might work in a KS-47 BCG).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom