• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    TL/DR:
    SI *is* the metric system.
    The radian is the unit of angular measure in the SI.
    t.f. radian is metric.

No. The point was made that other than mrad, radians were NOT used w/ prefixes and therefore NOT metric. Negative logic that was demonstrated false (and a moot point anyway.)

No, SI is not the metric system.

Metric degrees are degrees Centigrade. SI degrees are degrees Kelvin. The units are the same, but the base is not.

Unless you see temps described as 302 degrees today. :)

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I was doing some quick calculations and wanted to share, so I dusted off this thread.
    One of the advantages of MOA is at the range at 100 yds. The math is fairly elegant, such that 1 MOA projected on a target at 100 yards reduces down to pi/3 inches, or 1.05 inches, or about an inch at 100 yards. If your scope has 1/4 MOA clicks, 1 click moves the aim point 1/4". 1 click on a 1/2 MOA click scope moves the aim point 1/2". Double the yardage doubles the movement.

Math:
    (I call "aimpoint" the measurement on the paper target.)
    The sine of the angle in radians is very, very close to the angle in radians. For 1 MOA, the error is something like 0.00001%. That means instead of doing trig, just the ratio of the range and the aimpoint is all that is needed. The math using 1 MOA (1/60 of a degree is one Minute Of Angle), and using the conversion of pi/180, and finally 1 yard = 36 inches:

Sin (1/60 *pi/180) = pi/(60*180) = aimpoint/(100 yds *36 in/yd)

aimpoint = 100*36*pi/(60*180) = pi/3 inches = 1.05 inches

Using Mildot is the similar math actually, 1 mildot is 1/1000 of 100 yards, or 3.6 inches. A 1/10 mildot click moves the aimpoint .36 inches on the target.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    One of the advantages of MOA is at the range at 100 yds. The math is fairly elegant, such that 1 MOA projected on a target at 100 yards reduces down to pi/3 inches, or 1.05 inches, or about an inch at 100 yards. If your scope has 1/4 MOA clicks, 1 click moves the aim point 1/4". 1 click on a 1/2 MOA click scope moves the aim point 1/2". Double the yardage doubles the movement.

The issue with MOA is the leftover .05 which adds up to quite a bit of error at ELR distances. 1" per hundred yards is crude and not true MOA.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you have the appropriate reticle, there is no math.

Measure the offset between POA and POI, and adjust it.

Why convert at all?

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    If you have the appropriate reticle, there is no math.

Measure the offset between POA and POI, and adjust it.

Why convert at all?

The idea is to have a zeroed rifle, and hit a target at any range on the FIRST shot.
    Really, I just like the beauty of how the 1 MOA works out to pi/3 at 100 yards. Nothing more.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    The idea is to have a zeroed rifle, and hit a target at any range on the FIRST shot.

1"@100yrds is useless in this case.

It might be useful for shooting a 2" group at 200yrds and saying your rifle is moa all day, but no one is going to hold in inches. They are going to calculate and dial in mils or minutes.

Really, I just like the beauty of how the 1 MOA works out to pi/3 at 100 yards. Nothing more.

True beauty is 1/1000th for any unit of distance :D.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

But why even think about inches?

Use your reticle, measure the offset in mils or MOA, make the correction in mils or MOA, and move on.

Or you could use smoots. Smoots are 5.25419238434873 inches per 98 yards.

:lol2:

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    When you dial your DOPE you are multiplying that 1/2" error.

I did a little more back of the envelope calculations using the path drop numbers for .223. You were right, that .05 MOA does add up over long distances, because a .223 bullet is dropping like a spitball at 600-1000 yards. The error from estimating 1.0" instead of 1.05" per MOA is about 22" at 1000 yards, but then again, the aimpoint is 36 feet above the target. :lol2:

At a max useful range of 600 yards (ha!) the aimpoint is 7 feet above the target, and the 0.05 MOA causes about a 3.5" error, disregarding the resolution of the clicks.

I'm sure a flatter trajectory would be less error, but who knows how accurate a scope click really is. I read about adjusting windage and elevation a set number of clicks to shoot corners of a square box, but the author said that's almost always useless using medium cost scopes.

I'm back to agreeing with you about DOPE, but it was interesting to see for myself how the calculations worked out. Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom