• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Also, please understand that it gives some people the heebie jeebies when a newer user comes on the forums and starts asking questions about "ghost guns," which is a loaded term. We prefer to refer to them as "80%" guns, or by other terms. "Ghost Gun" is a term invented by the media to make them sound scary and evil.

Ghost guns shoot ectoplasm. Or are they the ones with the nuclear reactor that straps to your back? I always get them confused.

Also to clarify an 80% paper weight is not the same thing as a "ghost gun".

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Ghost guns shoot ectoplasm. Or are they the ones with the nuclear reactor that straps to your back? I always get them confused.

Also to clarify an 80% paper weight is not the same thing as a "ghost gun".

That depends on which source the term comes from...

Here it is in the libtard version...
    http://www.thetrace.org/2015/10/ghost-gun-lower-receiver-california/
    The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) refers to such guns as unfinished receivers, though they’re also called 80 percent receivers, home built firearms, or ghost guns. The existence of individual ghost guns is usually completely unknown to law enforcement, unless one turns up at a crime scene

And...

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/i-made-an-untraceable-ar-15-ghost-gun/

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This post, just like the last one had one common denominator word.... SAFE. I thought we pretty much had the general consensus that the business wants to try and sell additional items.

Brown016

Mar 28, 2016
    No offense OP but when new members start threads like this it raises red flags. Which member of the GA or AG's office are you? :rolleyes:

Yep, this again.

This post, just like the last one had one common denominator word.... SAFE. I thought we pretty much had the general consensus that the business wants to try and sell additional items.

Do a lot of the guys actually work at the ranges/stores? I just assumed they gave a cut of their fees and threw business the way of the establishment through lane rentals and the such. My guy keeps business cards there that don't mention affiliation with the range/store. He recommended different places for purchases of firearms and other stuff.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Sounding pretty paranoid with "red flags". It seems like a reasonable question when you consider what is being said at the training and, who better to confirm with than a bunch of dudes that love their guns and follow the issues surrounding them. If you don't know, you ask questions. That's how we learn.

A guy said similar things at my HQL training. Essentially the same thing information was relayed and the issue of civil liability was stressed..."take pics of your storage device installed along with a date stamp in case anybody tries saying your firearms were not properly stored", etc. I found it to be a helpful reminder that some people suck and will try and get you regardless of your best efforts/actions.
    Since it appears your are also relatively new here you haven't experienced what we have dozens of times before. Some "new member" comes in and starts a provocative thread maybe with subjects like "ghost guns" or "how to obtain high cap mags" in Maryland. After they stir up crap they disappear. Of course they only disappear after making note of how many pieces of what they believe to be illegal advice were given by all the "outlaws" on this forum. No harm in being cautious when you have seen it a dozen times. Paranoid would have been labeling you and the OP as trolls which I did not do. This forum is a great resource but the antis also use it to form opinions about gun owners. The term "Ghost guns" leaves them more suspicious then when they arrived.

CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    I didn't realize this was a recent thread issue. After hearing the scenario from the trainer it just seemed to make some sense to build your own unregistered gun as an additional step in protecting yourself. If I had a butcher knife stolen from my home and some lunatic used it to kill someone, it would be the same scenario with a different weapon. I've never heard of a case where the victim of a theft for anything else (knife, car, sword) was ever being held civilly responsible for the criminal use of that item.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I didn't realize this was a recent thread issue. After hearing the scenario from the trainer it just seemed to make some sense to build your own unregistered gun as an additional step in protecting yourself. If I had a butcher knife stolen from my home and some lunatic used it to kill someone, it would be the same scenario with a different weapon. I've never heard of a case where the victim of a theft for anything else (knife, car, sword) was ever being held civilly responsible for the criminal use of that item.

Firearms are a special case.

Those against the Second Amendment would like to punish, intimidate, inconvenience and scare all law abiding gun owners by all means possible.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    When you have people suing gun manufacturers for legally making and distributing guns that were used in crimes, anything is possible. Someone could claim that if you had only locked up your firearm in a better way, or never bought it at all, that their loved one would not been killed. We live in a country where a woman who was wearing thick sweat pants spilled a cup of hot coffee on herself and won millions in a civil liability suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I didn't realize this was a recent thread issue.

Nah, don't worry about it. Sometimes we need to remember to lighten up on the new folks is all.

After hearing the scenario from the trainer it just seemed to make some sense to build your own unregistered gun as an additional step in protecting yourself. If I had a butcher knife stolen from my home and some lunatic used it to kill someone, it would be the same scenario with a different weapon. I've never heard of a case where the victim of a theft for anything else (knife, car, sword) was ever being held civilly responsible for the criminal use of that item.

There are tons of reasons to build your own guns (it's fun, it's a really neat process, it takes skill, etc) that have zero to do with traceability, and frankly this particular scenario is so far out there that I wouldn't use it as even a secondary reason to do your own build.

I DO believe that it is my responsibility as a gun owner to ensure that they are stored safely though. To me, it's no different than observing the rules of safe gun handling - I can't imagine how I would feel if someone got in to my guns and hurt or killed someone with one of them. Plus, I have a child at home, so that's an immediate part of the responsibility as well.

Feb 28, 2013
    Yep that's it. :rolleyes:

The folks that believe that also believe that ahmed invented his clock.

Not necessarily, my friend. :)

I got the "troll" brand from at least two assholes who no longer post here simply with a question about the Civil war and historical parallels.

What you suspect may actually happen. I'll give ya the benefit o' the doubt there, but I can't see it bein' the norm as opposed to the exception.

Therefore, I personally cannot on good conscience do that myself to another. I remember all too well what that's like.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hundreds of thousands of posts on this forum and none ever mention, cite, reference, etc...homeowner liability for such a thing.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Hundreds of thousands of posts on this forum and none ever mention, cite, reference, etc...homeowner liability for such a thing.

None... And for very good reason.

The idea is a relatively new tactic by libtardians who seek to place fear of liability in the hearts of firearms owners where none existed prior. They are trying to scare away the prospective gun owners by using that fear.

Feb 28, 2013
    None... And for very good reason.

The idea is a relatively new tactic by libtardians who seek to place fear of liability in the hearts of firearms owners where none existed prior. They are trying to scare away the prospective gun owners by using that fear.

Unfortunately, and much to my disgust, that fear is very justified. :sad20:

It's ****in' sad what slip-and-fall lawyers have done to my country. :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom