• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I have a Micro MOA gas block with 3 positions on my AR. I have no gas, Subsonic and Supersonic setup on the block. In the no gas mode I essentially have a bolt gun. It definitely is quieter. You don't have the bolt open/closing. Pretty cool.

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Awesome review.
    I was saving up for a CZ527 til my AC broke.

After reading your review, I may go ahead and save up for one of these instead and it would also be a great way to get into the 300blk.

I would enjoy reading more of your take on it after length of ownership.
    Thanks!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Don't give up you CZ 527 in 7.62x39 dream! It's still on my list.

Unless you reload, keep in mind this cost comparison ...

CZ 527 in 7.62x39 plus 1,000 rounds of ammo ≤ Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK plus 1,000 rounds of ammo

Because I was building an AR in 300 BLK, I knew that the ammo would be a sunk cost, so the less expensive 300 BLK bolt action became more appealing.

But yes, I will update this thread when there's opportunity to in the future. I am looking forward to j8064's update with his new RAR in 300 BLK, which could be this weekend.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Two Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK rifles in FDE with the shorter length of pull (12.5-inch) are currently available from Grabagun for $380 + $6 for shipping ...

http://grabagun.com/ruger-15.html

Hey man!!!! Nice looking rigs! What twist barrels do you have in your AR and in the bolt rifle?

I have 1in8's in my SBR and carbine AR and according to Shilen, I shouldn't run anything less than 220gr in them.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hey bro, excellent questions, as usual. I had to look up the answers. :D

I'm pretty sure that this is the AR barrel that I got ...

http://www.advanced-armament.com/16-300-BLK-AR-Barrel_p_609.html

It was on sale at Midwest Gunworks at the time for $130 (DA had given me a heads up). According to the website above it's a 1:7.

And I have this Ruger American 300 BLK rifle ...

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/specSheets/6968.html

... which is also a 1:7.

And to get to your deeper question ... I don't know what the optimal bullet weight is for a 1:7 with 30 caliber bullets. I would mostly be shooting supersonics ... and see reasonable groups with 110 gr supersonics and from 220 gr subsonics. I could shoot both rifles off a rest to see how tight they can get.

ETA: found the link for the barrel order ... it is indeed the 1:7 from AAC ...
    http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/BAR09105

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Hey man!!!! Nice looking rigs! What twist barrels do you have in your AR and in the bolt rifle?

I have 1in8's in my SBR and carbine AR and according to Shilen, I shouldn't run anything less than 220gr in them.
    1:8 can run supers or subs. I have a 1:7 that gets insanely tight groups with 110gr and is respectable with 220gr.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The sun, earth, and moon weren't the only things aligning yesterday ... I had unexpected free time yesterday afternoon ... so grabbed the Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK, which was sporting a new bipod, and a Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle and headed to the range.

I'll update with a few more pics with information on the ammo tested later tonight, but had some progress with subsonic round grouping at 100 yards (5 shot - hard to see one hole in the black circle for the 10 ring at approx 1 o'clock). Rifle ran like a champ again.

Attachments

• September 27, 2015 - 3.jpg
      September 27, 2015 - 3.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 391
    • September 27, 2015 - 4.jpg
      September 27, 2015 - 4.jpg
      54.2 KB · Views: 473
    • DSC_0018.jpg
      DSC_0018.jpg
      92.3 KB · Views: 394
    • DSC_0023.jpg
      DSC_0023.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 385

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    I got one in .308 with the Walmart clearance and haven't had a chance to shoot it, but this thread makes me want to go ASAP although I am waiting for a scope.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I got one in .308 with the Walmart clearance and haven't had a chance to shoot it, but this thread makes me want to go ASAP although I am waiting for a scope.

If you want an inexpensive scope, get a Vortex Crossfire II. They are around 150 and are darn good scopes for the money. I have a Crossfire II 3-9x40 w/BDC on my 300BLK AR and the glass is unlike anything I have seen at that price point before. Even my dad was impressed with the clarity and light transmission on it.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I agree reloading is the way to make more accurate ammo and I actually like to reload. I usually do 100 at a time for five different calibers. I have a Lee Classic and it takes about 1.5 hours to press 100 rounds.

Good post and very detailed :thumbsup:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I agree reloading is the way to make more accurate ammo and I actually like to reload. I usually do 100 at a time for five different calibers. I have a Lee Classic and it takes about 1.5 hours to press 100 rounds.

The OP knows where a Dillon 550 is located, that he is free to use whenever he wants to. :innocent0

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

I reload for accuracy but I can't say inreally.like it much anymore lol.

I've bought everything that I can to speed it up while still weighing each cartridge (giurard trimmer, annealer, meplat). It can take me 6 hours or so to reload 150 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom