• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hey guys wondering what you can tell me about this round. I keep seeing mixed reviews. Considering adding another saiga or ak 74 to my collection.
    I read things like its everything the 556 isnt to that it is highly overated. Seems like surplus ammo is cheap enough and plentiful enough.
    What do you guys think?

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    I have an AR calibered in one. Its cheap to shoot, minute of man accurate, and reliable using the bulk corrosive ammo. Only downside is having to clean asap after shooting corrosive ammo.

Part of me wants to sell the barrel and bolt for a 5.56, but my wallet likes how cheap it is to shoot compared to 5.56 and .308.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    ok good responses so far what about for shtf scenario

It will kill people.

You have to define what SHTF means to you. It's a little less powerful than 5.56, but that doesn't mean it's not deadly. It's very serious stuff and will leave a nasty wound (no worse than any other rifle bullet of the same relative power.) I have a ak74 and a AR 5.45x39, both are good guns.

If you plan on shooting cheap surplus, get a chrome lined barrel. It makes cleaning easier... not 100% needed, but you do need to clean your gun after firing this stuff, it's pretty nasty.

Mark

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Great round. I've read the Afghanis call it the "poison bullet" due to its tendency towards excessive yaw thereby creating a more devastating wound after entry. Non corrosive is also widely available, although the price is a bit higher (but still cheaper than .223 or 7.62).

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    5.45x39 surplus ammo looks great strewn haphazardly across an Afghan war rug with an AK-74 next to it. :D

rugsling.jpg

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    I have an AR calibered in one. Its cheap to shoot, minute of man accurate, and reliable using the bulk corrosive ammo. Only downside is having to clean asap after shooting corrosive ammo.

Part of me wants to sell the barrel and bolt for a 5.56, but my wallet likes how cheap it is to shoot compared to 5.56 and .308.
    I saw one on Gunlistings.org forsale your not selling it are you?

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    as far as a SHTF round:

IMO if you go HD and that's what you're calling SHTF then it'll kill em dead just as well. If you're thinking blue hats in the street as SHTF i'd say no. It's a surplus only round not going to be a lot of battle field pick ups or available to scrounge.

Now all that's moot if you plan on stockpiling 20k rounds or something. I doubt if it takes to shooting too many of us would live long enough to go through 20k rounds ya know?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    i still have that intrafuse stock if ur interested

and i wa gonn drop Dan a line and get a quote on an iz 240

I have a new PC, the other crashed so I lost taht website.

I'm still interested in that conversion!!! :party29:

LMK what you find out....5.45 is still very affordable right now but I still have thoughts of building the AR in 5.45 but I like the AK idea too

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    as far as a SHTF round:

IMO if you go HD and that's what you're calling SHTF then it'll kill em dead just as well. If you're thinking blue hats in the street as SHTF i'd say no. It's a surplus only round not going to be a lot of battle field pick ups or available to scrounge.

Now all that's moot if you plan on stockpiling 20k rounds or something. I doubt if it takes to shooting too many of us would live long enough to go through 20k rounds ya know?

for hd no, thinkin true shtf, blue hats, zombies, etc..... for the price i could build up a nice stash .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom