• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    its looking like its going to be an RIA tactical, found a slightly used matte nickel one with under 300 rds through it.

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    The problem with all 1911's is you buy the pistol and then end up spending the value of the pistol on hot rod parts :)

-Russ

Attachments

• DSC_1798 small.jpg
      DSC_1798 small.jpg
      87.4 KB · Views: 221

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    its looking like its going to be an RIA tactical, found a slightly used matte nickel one with under 300 rds through it.

I am amazed as I look around and review the various sites how positive the remarks are for the Rock Island 1911. Many say they fire and fire with few jams, if any. I'm not biased, since I don't have any 1911's. Some said the not even Hollow Points created any problems. I was thinking a basic Springfield, but the RIA remarks might sway me their way. However, do your own due diligence.

I picked up my RIA Tactical on March 14th (Thanks Dan!), since then I've put about 1000 factory rounds, 200 reloads bought at the show, and 300+ of my own reloads through it. The show reloads were LSWC, the factory stuff has been FMJ, TMJ and JHP (Rem, Win and PMC), and my own are Berry's plated RN. It has fired everything. I did have to clean the excessive amount of lube (large gobs of thick waxy stuff) off the LSWC rounds, as it would bind them up on extraction, but after I cleaned the rest it didn't happen again.
    I've used the Novak mags that came with it, a cheap-o 1911 mag from the wall of On-Target, and the 7 rounder that came with my Marlin camp .45, its fired from every mag.

I was in last week popping off some reloads and a guy two lanes down was shooting a nice looking Kimber. I saw him looking at mine as he was leaving (I was stapling cardboard to a target), he asked what it was and how much it was. When I told him it was $500 he couldn't believe it. I offered to let him shoot it, and after two rounds he said it had a nicer trigger than his and he couldn't believe it was $500. I'm guessing he's looking for one now. :D

I like the gun so much I'm looking for another. I plan to trade in or sell my 24/7 Pro and stick to .45 (for me) and .38 (for the wife).

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I picked up my RIA Tactical on March 14th (Thanks Dan!), since then I've put about 1000 factory rounds, 200 reloads bought at the show, and 300+ of my own reloads through it. The show reloads were LSWC, the factory stuff has been FMJ, TMJ and JHP (Rem, Win and PMC), and my own are Berry's plated RN. It has fired everything. I did have to clean the excessive amount of lube (large gobs of thick waxy stuff) off the LSWC rounds, as it would bind them up on extraction, but after I cleaned the rest it didn't happen again.
    I've used the Novak mags that came with it, a cheap-o 1911 mag from the wall of On-Target, and the 7 rounder that came with my Marlin camp .45, its fired from every mag.

I was in last week popping off some reloads and a guy two lanes down was shooting a nice looking Kimber. I saw him looking at mine as he was leaving (I was stapling cardboard to a target), he asked what it was and how much it was. When I told him it was $500 he couldn't believe it. I offered to let him shoot it, and after two rounds he said it had a nicer trigger than his and he couldn't believe it was $500. I'm guessing he's looking for one now. :D

I like the gun so much I'm looking for another. I plan to trade in or sell my 24/7 Pro and stick to .45 (for me) and .38 (for the wife).
    Thanks for the nice review. Appreciated!
    Does the RIA Tactical have a thumb safety? I know it comes with a grip safety.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    You know this list is very misleading, and not accurate.

Clark customs is referring to the 460 rowland conversion.

Please note that every GI 1911 is on that list.

None of those pistols is inferior AS A 1911. Conversion's to a higher caliber that the pistol was never designed is something completely different from everyday use as JMB designed it.

It speaks to overall durability.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    It speaks to overall durability.

I disagree. It speaks to nothing at all. If its designed to do something, it can do that very well for a very long time and have no issues at all. If however, you modify it to do something different, you can no longer be assured of the same performance.

A Honda Civic is meant to carry people and a little bit of stuff, get good gas mileage, and last a long time. What you are saying is that if I chop the back half off a honda civic, I should be able to weld on a pick-up bed, carry a ton of dirt, and get the same mileage and durability. Well, that just won't work will it?

RIA, older Colt, and the rest of the 1911 guns are designed to shoot the caliber they are chambered in, hopefully for a long time, without issues. Modification by this third party is certainly not something the manufacturer intended, nor I'm sure, something they would support.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    A *Honda Civic is meant to carry people and a little bit of stuff, get good gas mileage, and last a long time. What you are saying is that if I chop the back half off a honda civic, I should be able to weld on a pick-up bed, carry a ton of dirt, and get the same mileage and durability. Well, that just won't work will it?

* change to Volkswagon Jetta

What? You mean that people will use things in ways not intended?

Lumber-Car-A.jpg

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For $750 you should be able to nail a good 1911, used perhaps, but good. A Smith and Wesson 1911 (probably new for a new old stock pistol) is a good buy for the money and you should be able to get a Springfield Armory Loaded for under $750, used. A used Kimber is a good buy.

Beware of used pistols to make sure they weren't cobbled by someone not knowing what they were doing. A good modification can be an enhancement if done correctly, but something to stay away from if done poorly.

Best buy I see out there for under your max amount of $$$ is the STI Spartan.

araugh

Laser Nerd
    Sep 2, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    2. Stainless S&W up at BPS.
    Yes, the stainless 1911 at Bass Pro at Arundel Mills in on my short list. Its 300 dollars under MSRP, it has a kickass warranty, its American made, and infinitely upgradable, and it felt better in my hand than any other 1911 I have fondled lately. It will last forever, and its reputation far exceeds the mutant STI I described above. But its 150 bucks too much, and lacks a lot of features that are standard on most other 1911s. Love the stainless though. I also like that I have physically held it in my hands and can go buy it tomorrow if I want.

Sounds to me like you've made up your mind, man.

TripleChris

Apr 10, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    Sounds to me like you've made up your mind, man.

Mind made up, but arrival of C&R and subsequent spending spree put the 1911 on the back burner.

What I need to do is stop eating and paying for cable, a cell phone, and other nonsense so I can get all these goodies.

DLiller

Jun 29, 2009
    Maryland, Florida
    You can get a brand spanking new Kimber Stainless II from AIM surplus for the fabulous price of $819. Id stay away from the Taurus 1911. If you plan of changing any of the parts in your 1911, you are going to have to go through a whole bunch of BS to get them to go into the taurus. Why spend 700 on a taurus when for a little more you could grab a colt or a smith?

BTW if you want I have a beautiful Smith and Wesson Performance Center 1911 that is like new im selling for $1895. Looks like it did when it came out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom