• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Got a question for those of you that live in Western Maryland (Washington County and west). I'm always looking for land (even though I really can't afford it) out in that area for recreation/second home/cabin.

If you had to do over again, given Maryland's issues, would you go to WV or PA instead? Climate, environment is similar. Why or why not? Interested in your perspective on life choices across the board - retirement, access, safety, cost of purchase, cost of living, freedom now, freedom in the future, people/community, access to services, crime/drugs.

I'm mostly looking at this from a retirement perspective, but who knows what the cards may bring, so if things were to happen any sooner, I'd also want to know about schools. My interest would only be in a parcel on the order of 75 to 150 acres.

Interested in your thoughts.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    If you want the beauty of Garrett County, but want to live in free America, I’d look at buying in Preston County, WV. You have the advantage of the acreage you want, still access to beautiful Deep Creek Lake area, but are also within 30 min or so of Morgantown, WV which has everything you would need for the conveniences of life.

I love Garrett County and have lived here my whole life. I wouldn’t change it for the world. My kids go to great schools here with small classrooms and get a great education. However, it’s still MD and the gun control stupidity still applies. I can go 8 miles to the WV state line and load my firearm and carry as a right. But I have to follow all of Md idiot laws for transport from my house until I cross the state line.

Happy to answer anything else I can. GC is beautiful this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I can go 8 miles to the WV state line and load my firearm and carry as a right. But I have to follow all of Md idiot laws for transport from my house until I cross the state line.

Dude, eight miles from America. That has to be like looking at freedom from behind the prison fence.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    If this is a retirement plan, look at tax implications. Depending on where your retirement income comes from and the exact location of the property, there can be substantial differences in tax load. For any location add up
    - real estate taxes
    - income
    - personal property tax on toys

You are looking for a property that should carry an Ag exemption for property tax. Look at what the different states require for that exemption to apply.

I am currently looking for something in the same area. There is some spectacular land available in Garrett ever so often, and once you hit 75 acres, you don't really need to worry much about the gun laws ;-)
    I will probably buy in WV. PA as a state has the same problem as MD and is ready to turn on its citizens in a minute.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    It's an extra hour from Hagerstown to Cumberland... Hancock North / South is better than Hagerstown North / South. Personally I like the ridgelines around Warfordsburg if I were to relocate but PA has some wonky tax laws.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Antarctica,
    Garrett County is a great place to live. But (as said) it's in Maryland. Every day I look over the hill to the west and wish I lived 8 miles away in WV for obvious reasons. After 20 years in the Deep Creek area (10 full time) if you can learn to live in the climate, deal with the MD BS and put up with the bazillion Tourons that frequently visit, it's a pretty nice place to grow roots.

Jefflac
    Since you're in Friendsville, my bet is I've offered up an invitation to join us Hooligans at a shoot before. If you want to try a wide variety of firearms, learn a ton of new things and have a lot of fun ... that offer is always always open...

;);)

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Dude, eight miles from America. That has to be like looking at freedom from behind the prison fence.

Sometimes I drive there just to taste freedom. Sit in my car. Load my Shield, holster is safely and smile.

Then cry every time I get back to the state line.

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Antarctica,

Garrett County is a great place to live. But (as said) it's in Maryland. Every day I look over the hill to the west and wish I lived 8 miles away in WV for obvious reasons. After 20 years in the Deep Creek area (10 full time) if you can learn to live in the climate, deal with the MD BS and put up with the bazillion Tourons that frequently visit, it's a pretty nice place to grow roots.

Jefflac

Since you're in Friendsville, my bet is I've offered up an invitation to join us Hooligans at a shoot before. If you want to try a wide variety of firearms, learn a ton of new things and have a lot of fun ... that offer is always always open...

;);)

I’m actually in McHenry now (moved in last Halloween). We live directly across from the college in Sunset Ridge.

I’d love to join you guys sometime, have to make plans for a time other than Sunday mornings. God before guns

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    Preston County has all of the appeal of Garrett County, just without the Totalitarianism that MD has. There is some beautiful land in Hazelton and Cranesville. However, If raising a family, I’d want my kids to go to school in Garrett county over preston any day.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Garrett County, the good old days! A bunch of us used to go up every Memorial and Labor day to eat, drink, and shoot. Did it for probably 10 years. My friends property up there may be for sale next year, he has retired to Tennessee. In case anyone is interested it is on Old Morgantown Rd and hits Rt 68 right at the 8 mile marker. It's only 13 acres but still fairly secluded. You guys remember Zump's pizza at Deep Creek? Loved that place til Unos killed it. One of these days I will make trip back to shoot with the Hooligans!

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I hunt on private land/farm in SW Garrett. Located on Rt. 560 South four miles above Gorman, MD/ Gormania, WV. It's my friend farm it's going on the fourth generation. Love the area and mountains and cold weather many good times there. I've been offered two deals on land for sale around there. No way now the way things are in MD. Four miles down the road in Grant Co. WV Gormania/Bayard area yes. When I go up I take the old way up mostly through WV Rt. 50 West. I carry once in WV just to prove a point constitutional carry. It sure feels good.

Rolo

Mar 13, 2019
    Washington county
    I'm about a mile each way between Wv and Pa. If i could I'd be in Wv. Md has to many asinine laws and regulations for me. My plans are to move to Wv in 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom