• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I'm thinking about getting an ACOG and selling my EOTECH
    What's the best optic overall for a 5.56 AR15?
    I want some magnification I don't shoot over 150 yards
    I need tacticool. If you hade a choice what would you pick?

If you like ACOG what model would you pick there are so many!

TA01NSN...badass. ive been trying to save for one forever but things just keep coming up:mad54:

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I love all the advantages of a red dot, weather it be Eotech or Aimpoint...however, you just cant beat the ACOG's lack of batteries. They will withstand an EMP right? I mean EMP and your compm4 or 553 is toast so....

I think the Trijicon TRIPOWER has all the advantages of the red dot, paralax free, both eyes open, easy to pick up reticle since theres no eye relief, with the advantage of the ACOG, doesnt have to have betteries, etc...I dont know anything about it so correct me where Im wrong

kafratta

Poor College Student
    Dec 7, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I know this isn't acog related but i asked on a thread awhile ago about tritium iron sights...any insight on these? Im debating on tritium irons or an eotech, and funds are def a factor. I thought tritium irons because they're cheaper and i really do like iron sights especially since i dont shoot over 150yrds ever.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    How about a nightforce 1-4?

http://nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_...ELS_/compact1-4x24nxs/compact_1-4x24_nxs.html

I'm fairly new to this so I'd like to hear folks opinions. Lets assume for the minute that price is irrelevant.

NF 1-4 is well-built, but the red dot is not very bright. I looked closely at this optic, but in the end it just wasn't bright enough for daytime usage. The Swarovski 1-6 had more than enough brightness, true 1x-6x, and clearer glass. Yes, it was twice as expensive, but there is no finer optic available.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.

Turbo2Point4

Feb 19, 2012
    i just recently bought a le6920, and i'm planning to do a bushnell red dot with a high riser utg mount for 1/3 co-witness, then a magpul rear bus, my question is if anybody knows. would i need a medium or high riser mount, for the rear mbus to see through the scope and use the front sight should red dot fail. thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    i just recently bought a le6920, and i'm planning to do a bushnell red dot with a high riser utg mount for 1/3 co-witness, then a magpul rear bus, my question is if anybody knows. would i need a medium or high riser mount, for the rear mbus to see through the scope and use the front sight should red dot fail. thanks

IIRC, it should be a .8" riser if you have a standard FSB (front sight base). Although I could be wrong, so don't take that as gospel. :)

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I have shot a bit with a friends ACOG and I LOVE THAT THING!!! :-) If I had the money, and wanted to set up a ideal 25-300 yr ticket, I would get the 4x32 ACOG with a RMR on top. But that runs about $2300. For less than a $1000 I would get an EOTECH with a 3-4x magnifier with swivel mount, although I have not tried one of these. Just the Eotech by itself.

Currently, being broke :-), I lucked out at a pawn shop recently. They had about 4-5 scopes in a box on the counter, and as i went through them, ( mostly cheap 3-9's ) I found a Nikon 1.5-4x20 w base that I offerred $35 for , and purchased!!!!!

When I got home and looked it up, seems that MSRP ( which no one pays ) is about $269 with street price of $189. It works pretty damn good for $35!! HA! But I would like to get an Eotech for about $400 also.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The EOTech and an Aimpoint magnifier, works great together.

Ultimately sold off the EO and the magnifier to build a new upper, but the Aimpoint PRO I just got seems to fit my needed role very nicely so far.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, I forgot about the new Aimpoint PRO...so you like that thing huh? :-)

3 year constant on battery life, that's one thing to like.

The QRP2 mount isn't too shabby either.

I like the EO's just as well, but the PRO definitely has some features I'm liking, that new-in-the-box smell doesn't hurt either. :D

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    After looking through a Vortex Razor 1-6x there is no question in my mind that it is the best optic for an AR-15, "hands down". It's supremely expensive, but man is it nice.

-Jim

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Just for the hell of it try a Sig Sauer 3x tactical optic. $165. Red and Green illuminatuion. 3x. I have two of them - friend of mine tried one on his AR Sunday....was blown away. Just sayin'.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Just for the hell of it try a Sig Sauer 3x tactical optic. $165. Red and Green illuminatuion. 3x. I have two of them - friend of mine tried one on his AR Sunday....was blown away. Just sayin'.

Ancient thread, good fun.

Yes, I have one. It's pretty damn heavy but it's the best red dot I own or tried...

4ba9fc40-e24d-4279-9d37-b16f9b1b11aa_zps997b7d8d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom