• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    "High Powered" air gun?

I have an neighbor who feels it necessary to tell me how stupid Trump is every time he sees me.

Saw him today shooting, out his upper level window, a really powerful air gun, with a scope, at a ground hog that has been tearing up his garden the last couple of years. This "rifle" was pulling the bark off a tree at 40 yards. Never seen something that powerful that was an air gun.

Legal?

Last edited:

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Well, I'm not going to turn him in or anything like that. I was just wondering because I want one!!

I can't imagine its legal where we live. Average of a half acre lots. Typical neighborhood but with a farm directly behind our two houses in Frederick.

He has clearly been trying to hide what he is doing because he isn't outside shooting the thing and I have never seen the barrel extend out the window. But I was mowing and could see him clear as day. I'm going to invite him to the range and nonchalantly tell him he can bring his air rifle. Just to see the look on his face. F-ing liberals are so ridiculous.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The air rifle itself is legal . Whether he can shoot out his window into the yard depends upon his location. Whether he can shoot groundhogs depends on hunting license and hunting regs .

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Very high powered:
    https://www.bendbulletin.com/locals...ter-felony-conviction-man-convinces-deschutes

White’s product is a .458-caliber air rifle. While there are many .457- and .458-caliber air guns, White says his is the only one designed to shoot copper-jacketed bullets, rather than standard lead bullets. It also runs on three different gases — compressed air, nitrogen and helium — where most air rifles run on just compressed air and nitrogen. The gases in White’s rifle can be used in different blends, or individually.
    During that trip to the Limpopo Province, he says he became the first person to legally harvest a cape buffalo with an air rifle. And three months later, it’s still the largest on record taken by an air gun.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    A regular rifle is just an air rifle that uses chemically generated high pressure air.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    The air rifle itself is legal . Whether he can shoot out his window into the yard depends upon his location. Whether he can shoot groundhogs depends on hunting license and hunting regs .

Unless the regs changed recently, no license is required. You do still have to follow all regulations reguarding distance from houses/roads with some exceptions for land zoned for farming.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Wow. I had no idea how far air rifles have come in the last 30 years. Definitely not the same as when I was a kid.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    I have an hypocritical ultra liberal progressive neighbor who feels it necessary to tell me how stupid Trump is every time he sees me and gives me the evil eye when he sees me packing the car with my gear for a day at the range.

Saw him today shooting, out his upper level window, a really powerful air gun, with a scope, at a ground hog that has been tearing up his garden the last couple of years. This "rifle" was pulling the bark off a tree at 40 yards. Never seen something that powerful that was an air gun.

Legal?

Check local hunting regs. Killing the groundhog was leagal, however there is a standoff distance from houses. I believe it is 150 yards or so, with a few exceptions for bow and permission from owners. What county are you in?

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    The land/structure owner can waive the distance regs...since the shooter owns the home he's covered..

He said it's half acre development. Father's house is in a 5 acre development and doesn't have enough room. If he is close enough to the neighbors while mowing his own lawn to see him clearly though a window, I highly doubt he had the requisite stand off distance.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I am sure the neighbor with the air rifle got the OP's permission before shooting if he was within 150 yards of the OP's house. Maybe the neighbor and the OP exchanged permission for shooting in their respective yards, after all what is good for the goose should also be good for the gander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom