• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It is also the only State Agency with the authority and access to send or request changes to, information in NICS.

Yes, all local agency CH, warrants, fingerprints, etc. all move through CJIS when going back and forth with NCIC. They are the central POC for NCIC for all MD state and local law enforcement agencies.

I used to deal with them on audits when I had Central Records and Criminal History under my command. Not MSP people, but civilian CJIS employees. Not the brightest bulbs on the tree, at least that was my opinion of the people I met. Federal DOJ would audit us too and it was a real audit. We would never get gigged on anything. But the state people were determined to find anything silly to justify their jobs. I always hated when they came around because I knew I was going to wind up answering for some stupid comments on a report they would do about things that weren't even relevant.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don't really see it as demanding proof, it's more like amplifying the need to meet their requirement. People have their IDs stolen all the time. The fact that OPM lost IDs of people with clearances amplifies the necessity of "reasonable measure" of defense against targeting those individuals for nefarious purposes. The MSP is really rooting for us on this. Is it an extra step that challenges the basic intention of the 2nd Amendment....yes... but we are in Maryland so jump through that hoop if you can do you CAN protect your family, others and yourself

That's one of the funniest things I've ever read. The MSP LD NEVER roots for MD citizens, EVER.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Not to beat a dead horse, but you are incorrect. MSP is asking only for the following;

"Your name and current level of Federal Security Clearance eligibility (Top Secret, Top Secret/SCI, Secret, etc)" THIS is allowed on your resume. NOTHING ADDITIONAL but this is allowed.

"A statement from the Security Manager confirming that you have routine and daily access to materials classified at your current clearance level" This fact is allowed on your resume. NOTHING MORE than this and a statement to the fact is also allowed.

"The name and contact information for the Security Manager drafting the document" Is obviously allowed as well.

If the fact is you simply do not want to provide the requested information that is a different thing entirely. Of if you are bitter that Maryland is stepping on your second amendment right - that too is understandable. Also, even though it is allowed, I for one an VERY uncomfortable with providing it. It goes against the culture.

Disclaimer - I do not know if you are a blue badger or not, that may change things up? Also I know different agencies can have different standards.

The bad part I see is that they say you must provide this information for these facts to even be considered as part of your G and S but they never say it is adequate support for approval.:confused:

If you want to target yourself, go right ahead. Your level of access DOES NOT go on your resume; that's OPSEC 101. Like I said though, if you want to poke yourself in the eye with a stick, go right ahead. Just don't go whining to your security shop when a Bad Thing (tm) happens.
    "A statement from the Security Manager confirming that you have routine and daily access to materials classified at your current clearance level" This fact is allowed on your resume. NOTHING MORE than this and a statement to the fact is also allowed.

THIS is the statement that is allowed on your resume; I remembered as soon as I saw it. I won a beer off a DSS agent over it long ago.

WRT the LD: What earthly difference does the fact that one has a C, S, or TS make? Or that one is in a compartment? You would be just as targeted with any level of access. The level is none of their business; the only pertinent fact is that you HAVE access. And that makes the difference. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile every time.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Most people at the bottom won't sign without the ok from the top, which they won't give because there is not a govt need to know.

Zakly! I reviewed and approved every work my people sent out in an official capacity, because my ass was the one to get chewed if they screwed up. And I was extremely judicious and conservative with delegation. I heard a quite true saying that definitely applies in the security world: "The career you save may be your own."

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    Most people at the bottom won't sign without the ok from the top, which they won't give because there is not a govt need to know.

Zakly! I reviewed and approved every work my people sent out in an official capacity, because my ass was the one to get chewed if they screwed up. And I was extremely judicious and conservative with delegation. I heard a quite true saying that definitely applies in the security world: "The career you save may be your own."

Our CSM (PAX proper) has already been directed that he will NOT provide the information if requested.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    On a parallel thought process: If a federal employee were granted a carry permit for self defense by their installation commander (due to, say, the OPM data breach) would that permit be valid in MD or only on federal property?

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    On a parallel thought process: If a federal employee were granted a carry permit for self defense by their installation commander (due to, say, the OPM data breach) would that permit be valid in MD or only on federal property?

That will never, ever happen. Never. Even though installation commanders have the authority, I'm 110% certain none of them will ever allow off duty carry by military, much less civilians. COs are ultimately responsible for everything that happens under their watch. Not one of them will be willing to put their careers on the line for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom