• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I'm thinking about getting an ACOG and selling my EOTECH
    What's the best optic overall for a 5.56 AR15?
    I want some magnification I don't shoot over 150 yards
    I need tacticool. If you hade a choice what would you pick?

If you like ACOG what model would you pick there are so many!

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I had an ACOG on my AR. When looking through it, it has an amazing view that is second to none. However, for me the eye relief was just too tight to make it comfortable to shoot. YMMV.

I currently have a magnified EoTech and like it a lot, but I'm itching to try a SWFA 1-4x or a Vortex 1-4x. Both seem pretty ideal for the AR platform, but I've never actually used one.

-Jim

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i started out with 2x aimpoint red dot. switched over to eotech for quicker target acquisition. now one of my AR's wears a 1-4 and another wears 2.5-10, both green dot trijicons, and one still wears an eotech. they (the two variable scopes) still have pretty quick target acquisition at the lower settings but also let you zoom in on the farther away targets.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    ACOG's are great optics. But they have their limitations. I'm experimenting with a couple different onces and while.it is early days with the TA33HG, it is a current favorite.

Eye relief, BDC, BAC and reticle are almost a perfect combination. I need to get a lenses cap and do some cap closed shooting to see how quick it is up close.

I have a TA31F as well as a TA01-NSN. Both are good optics at distance (50+) but are slow under that and are problematic up close.

A variable 1-4 or 1-6 would be better as an all around, but they are larger size and heavier.

More later when I'm not on my phone.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have a TA33GH. I enjoy it although it's a bit expensive.

Was debating on parting with it...but it's so rock solid I'd hate to give it up.

If you are near Haps I'm sure we could arrange for you to do some firing with my Colt/Acog combo.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    get something set up where you can try them all first. =)

internet shopping is fun, but its not practical.. your eyes may adjust better to the eotech reticle, or the ACOG.. who knows until you try..

I prefer the eotech - maybe because I am used to it.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I prefer a U.S. Optics SN-4s 1-4X, but it's not operator/ninja/tacticool. I guess for that, the ACOG with a RD on top is hard to beat (although I've always thought the eye relief was a little shallow on ACOG's.)

p-16391.jpg

A thermal scope would be cool, too, if you had an extra $13,788.90 (+shipping) you weren't using.

1341509101p

Bonus points: you can buy it at Sears.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I was going to suggest this very option. FWIW if you like your EO, you might just want to get the aimpoint magnifier, I've heard multiple reports that the glass is better than the eotech one.

I can get a great deal on the gen 2 flip to side eo magnifier maybe I'll try that first.
    Anyone have one I can try??

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Also don't over look the 1-4 offerings.

No need to flip or remove anything, just twist the ring and you're set.

The TR24 is one option(and the cheapest of the high end optics), as well as the Nightforce and S&B (hey, you said the best). I have the TR24. The scope works perfectly.

If you want to shoot the ACOG offerings as well as the TR24 let me know.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Ive been thinking about this as well. Have alot of trigger time with ACOG and love it, but thibkibg ai want to at least try the eotech

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom